420 Church St. | 9-Story Residential

Cleaver5

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

I went to Re-Runz Records off of OBT the other day. There were 6-8 people in there at any one time in the hour or so I was there, most buying $50+ in records, some buying over $200. My purchase was just shy of $100.   There is definitely a market, whether they can do the amount of business to make that space make sense is another question.

Just curious... what are your reasons for buying records? Do you have one of those sideboard consoles or tabletop record players?

I wonder what our original MJ, Prince and Gostbusters records would have been worth had a family member not gone off on a religious kick and smashed the ungodly secular records in the driveway because the SuperChannel told him to lol.

48 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Just curious... what are your reasons for buying records? Do you have one of those sideboard consoles or tabletop record players?

I wonder what our original MJ, Prince and Gostbusters records would have been worth had a family member not gone off on a religious kick and smashed the ungodly secular records in the driveway because the SuperChannel told him to lol.

Ha.... my best friend in HS went over the edge like that a couple of years after we graduated and did the same thing.

Except, along with his own records, he smashed a few of mine that I had loaned him.

Had an original copy of Hendrix's first album in there along with some others I'm sure are now classics.

I just brushed it off back then, but when I think about it now, it pisses me off. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

The music just sounds better when you have a solid setup.   Any digital files you have are compressed, one way or another, and in that you loose data. Details are lost and the overall quality is reduced.  My husband is in charge of the specifics, but I know we've spent quite a bit over the years ($1k+) on our turntable, cartridge, speakers, receiver, etc. 

I'm mostly listening to older music, but there are still some contemporary records being produced on analog equipment and event if they're produced digitally, you still get the sound before it's been compressed for CD, streaming, etc.  Some artists will make high-quality digital files available on different platforms.  

I'll use my Spotify account to find new artists, listen while working out or at the office, etc. and then buy the record if it's something that I want to sit down and really listen to. 

• Like 1

As stated clearly above, there is notable differences in vinyl records.   They DO sound different.  Much of this is due to the way that they are mastered. A lot of people say that vinyl has a "warmer" sound.  This is specifically from the signal itself being an actual waveform, and not a reconstruction of a waveform, combined with the fact that some of the higher and lower frequencies are not present in the recording. Even if you can't hear them, they are still there on digital files.   Additionally, there is resonance in a record player (some of the fanciest turn tables actually have "isolation pads" to try to limit  this effect in order to get the purest sound possible).  

Finally, as Smileguy mentioned, even if a recording starts off digitally in the studio or in the software it was produced with, there are  higher standards of resolution that include much more information than a "cd"  format. A cd is "Redbook" audio standard originally created by Sony to be able to fit a full "album" onto a 5 inch disk. It is limited to  16 bit and 44.1kHz, which means a wave recreation of 44,100 samples per second.   The DAC in the signal processor then takes those little bits of information and recreates a waveform on the fly to be output by your loudspeakers/headphones.  Most modern  recording studios and production software    have much higher resolution digital signal standards for master recordings.  Software such as ProTools, Cubase, Audition, and Ableton, for instance use much higher sample rates and larger bit sizes.   For example ProTools (the de-facto industry standard production software) and my version of Ableton go up to 32-bit 192kHz resolution, meaning they have much more information present in the recording.  And yes, trained ears of sound engineers and producers or mastering engineers CAN DEFINITELY HEAR A DIFFERENCE.  I can hear the difference in MP3s vs. Digital Audio vs. Vinyl.  I have not played around as much with higher resolution master .wav files, but probably could tell on a really good audio system. 

My Emotiva  XMC and  Amp and decent speakers made me instantly be able to tell when a cd was poorly recorded or mastered. This is because the setup had a really good DAC and clean frequency recreation.    And yes, it does matter to a lot of audiophiles.   I don't generally go too overboard with it, but I have friends who own $5000 studio monitors and put sound foam on all the walls and bass traps in the corner of their playroom. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 10:54 PM, JFW657 said:

Wait..... people still buy records??? :huh:

Did they somehow manage to disable the music download capabilities of millions of computers? 

music collector here... :tw_star: yes people do. There thousands of Instagram pages (including me) dedicated to Cd/Vinyl collections. A lot of the young people that collect are in the millenial/Gen Z border aka born in the late 90s-early 2000s. Pop artists like Britney Spears and Rihanna have released most or all of their albums on vinyl. Many others from all genres and ages have had re-issues, especually now that many albums the last few months have been hitting 20th and 30th anniversaries . The latest fad now  is for artist to release their newest single on 7" format usually as a online pre-order  before the song comes out. Some artists take it up a notch and make Vinyl boxsets that include booklets, pictures, and a CD copy. Of course these are tactics to drive up sales but if youre a fan of the singer, these items are really great collectors item, and even better when you like vinyl

Vinyl records are on track to outsell compact discs for the first time in 33 years and prices have risen 490%

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/vinyl-records-on-track-to-outsell-cds-and-prices-have-risen-490percent.html

Vinyl Is Bigger Than We Thought. Much Bigger.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenblatt/2018/09/18/vinyl-is-bigger-than-we-thought-much-bigger/#19ab3baf1c9c

Infographic: The Surprising Comeback of Vinyl Records | Statista

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2