420 Church St. | 9-Story Residential

Cleaver5

7 hours ago, jack said:

That does not look temporary. If it was, they would not have poured the sidewalk around it. It does not make any sense. 

I dunno. That little swatch of concrete can be jack hammered up easily enough. If they had that thing there temporarily for construction purposes, they'd still have to provide a safe walkway around it per some kind of safety code etc.

It might be permanent, but I kinda doubt it.

OUC has two trucks out there working on it today.  Hopefully, they are taking it off line but the new section of sidewalk looks permanent.  It's even painted pine green on the sides to match the landscape.  The handrail is gone now, though.  Again, I can't see how the City could possibly allow this to be permanent.  Hopefully, it's temporary and will be gone soon but I'll be nervous until I know for sure.

IMG_20151208_100847.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is what the transformer area looked like yesterday.  I'm still worried that they are going to replace the old one with a new one.  It's been a week since it was removed and they've had plenty of time to repair.  Also, the section that jogs around does not look temporary.  Hopefully, I'm wrong to be worried.

IMG_20151217_105023.jpg

8 hours ago, gibby said:

This is what the transformer area looked like yesterday.  I'm still worried that they are going to replace the old one with a new one.  It's been a week since it was removed and they've had plenty of time to repair.  Also, the section that jogs around does not look temporary.  Hopefully, I'm wrong to be worried.

Just out of curiosity, why are you so nervous and worried about it?

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. 

1 hour ago, gibby said:

The sidewalk would be nearly unusable.  I will probably use it all the time.  Also, it's just not acceptable to effectively have one entire block of sidewalk shut down over an issue like this, especially with a brand new development.

Not trying to argue or anything, but I don't see how a slight jog in the sidewalk would render it unusable.

Even a handicapped person in a motorized chair could navigate that pretty easily.

I'm sure it's wide enough to comply with all local codes as well as ADA standards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gibby said:

The sidewalk would be nearly unusable.  I will probably use it all the time.  Also, it's just not acceptable to effectively have one entire block of sidewalk shut down over an issue like this, especially with a brand new development.

I'm pretty confident its temporary. They seem to put temporary sidewalks in all the time if a private developer is going to close a publicly owned for a few months. Creating an alternative plan and getting it approved by public works is usually more expensive then a small temporary sidewalk like this. It has all the signs of being temporary... being cut/poured seperately from the adjacent sidewalk, the railing mount seems to be poured separately from the curb below, no attempts at curves, and the transformer now being out near completion. It also appears there is no proper drainage for the current sidewalk and the handrails are in 2 pieces that don't exactly like up.

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM, gibby said:

I'm firmly in the "it's temporary" camp, but this statement makes no sense.

I'm not downtown as often as many people here, but I walked this particular section this weekend.  I found NOTHING "unusable" about it at all.

ETA: I walked past it.

Edited by HankStrong
clarity

There was probably a pinch point when BOTH the transformer AND the sidewalk needed to be there to pass a certain inspection and have power at the same time. The building hasn't finished being built. The builders and city have a plan about this specific location and a timeline that makes sensce to the project. While there has been time to remove any work-around since the transformer came out, it probably isn't a priority to the project. I mean, this could even be taken out after everything else is done, with just some light landscaping filling the void. Something will happen - or it won't. Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Something will happen - or it won't. Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Possibly - but just remember that a differentiator that distinguishes Orlando among its Florida counterparts is the efforts made by the city to create and maintain attractive streets.

• Like 3