420 Church St. | 9-Story Residential

Cleaver5

On 12/28/2015 at 1:26 PM, JFW657 said:

But for the same reason you mentioned, I wish they would have designed those buildings to be a little less stark, modern and cold looking.

I agree.  I love the density and residential population increase of these developments but I'd like to see human scaled streetscapes.

This is why I consider the Yard at Ivanhoe to be a step above all other developments currently proposed or recently completed.

Still, not a bad addition to South Eola.

Hopefully, CITI tower's smaller footprint will help to soften this stretch.

I was surprised when walking by the other day that there appears little to no room for a restaurant or bar space on the ground floor. I knew most of the ground floor was going to be live/work space but I would have thought the corner unit would have been designed to accommodate more. Maybe I missed it. 

It looks like the unit on the northeast corner is the only suitable space for a restaurant. Unfortunately there's no space for outdoor seating which is almost necessary in this neighborhood. Other than that, the new snap space on the northwest corner looks awesome and will be a great addition to the neighborhood.

I'd like to see buildings with a little more varied textures and setbacks, such as this proposal for the Ink Block in Boston:

Siena_travelersstreet.jpg

BTW:  Elkus Manfredi, who has designed this building, is the major firm behind the concept for Disney Springs.  They are no stranger to Orlando.

Edited by prahaboheme

Yeah, in some ways the lack of large retail spaces seems OK in the near term. I know that's taboo on this forum, but when there are so many empty retail spaces already, why over stock? I guess an argument could be made that over time the critical mass of the residences will eventually drive demand for those retail spaces ... I don't know. I see a lot of empty storefronts right now.

Super excited for this area, though. It's really taking off. 

Edited by castorvx

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I agree.  I love the density and residential population increase of these developments but I'd like to see human scaled streetscapes.

This is why I consider the Yard at Ivanhoe to be a step above all other developments currently proposed or recently completed.

Still, not a bad addition to South Eola.

Hopefully, CITI tower's smaller footprint will help to soften this stretch.

I'm guessing a good part of the reason for these stark looking designs, is cost. Using more natural looking materials on the exterior probably would have added quite a bit to the construction costs both in terms of materials and labor.

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Maybe is best for all of these residents to be pushed to dining on Central or Eola to build up a real scene there.   The hidden gems can be later tucked away in the neighborhood 

I didn't envision a full dining establishment as I agree those should be pushed to the other more established nearby areas, but I would have thought a bar with the ability to serve limited food items (like Franks) would have been a given. Don't know if this space allows for something like that. Maybe an Eola Wine setup though.

Odds on a smokeshop or vapeshop going in one of the spaces are probably very high!

2 hours ago, Universe_Explorer said:

They are no longer parking or storing equipment in the L-shaped lot next door that is slated for the 520 project, and a newer fence with covering is lining the area.  Could they already be preparing for site work there? 

Are you talking about the Mariposa site or 520 Church Street? I drove past there today and It was still an parking lot. 

The Mariposa site has the new fence around it.  I'm not sure what it's for.  Maybe they are just fencing off that lot to use it for staging for construction of 520 E Church?  It could be that they will build the Mariposa lot first.  Either way, something seems to be happening faster than I had expected.

1 hour ago, gibby said:

The Mariposa site has the new fence around it.  I'm not sure what it's for.  Maybe they are just fencing off that lot to use it for staging for construction of 520 E Church?  It could be that they will build the Mariposa lot first.  Either way, something seems to be happening faster than I had expected.

The Mariposa lot was supposed to be Phase 3, but maybe they are deciding to move forward with it first since it appears to have less units than Phase 2 (i.e., safer). 

Edited by GTR

There are 3 retail spaces. Biggest and planned for restaurant is corner of Church and Osceola at nearly 3000 SF. They also have a 2500 and 1500 SF spaces. The 2500 is under an LOI on the corner of Mariposa and Lake. The other two have nothing pending on them seriously yet as of last week. I would imagine there will be a yoga thing in one of the live/work then if they have any of that right.

I checked on the City permit site and it looks like the construction plans for 520 were approved on 12/30/15.  It also appears that they paid the fees and the permit has been issued.  Maybe they plan to start earlier than this summer.  It would be sweet to see this thing start soon.

On January 5, 2016 at 10:22 PM, GTR said:

The Mariposa lot was supposed to be Phase 3, but maybe they are deciding to move forward with it first since it appears to have less units than Phase 2 (i.e., safer). 

yeah, I was confused about this- the distinction between the 520 site and the Mariposa site.  I saw that wall too, next to The Jackson.  I haven't seen any activity on the 520 site- the block due east from 420- and there is still parking on it across from The Sanctuary.

3 hours ago, gibby said:

The permit for the Mariposa (phase 3) property (fence and gravel) says that it's for "construction laydown" so that will be the staging area for the 520 project.

Thank you for clarifying. I was starting to think they switched phases in order to keep the income from the parking lot as long as they could and then using the parking lot on Phase 3 for public parking. That lot can be quite full on the weekends, wonder where it is going to all go.