Norfolk a possible finalist for Stone Brewery

mikeas

With the new brewery Stone is building in Germany, the port access isn't as important.

Seems as though Norfolk provides more options with the existence of ports.

Ports and rails... I do not think their access to 95 makes or breaks anything....So I hope, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no official word yet, but this is interesting...

http://wosu.org/2012/news/2014/09/15/oh-beer-abv-limit-snag-stone-brewing-deal-8/

Known for its bold beers and novel names for them – the Arrogant beotch Ale, for example – Stone Brewing has popular special releases, some with high alcohol-by-volume – or ABV – content. At 13.5 percent ABV, the w00tstout 2.0, released this summer, is described as a “sipper.”

But you can’t buy it in Ohio.

That’s because its alcohol content exceeds the state’s cap. State law prohibits beer companies from brewing, distributing or selling beer with ABV above 12 percent.

Still no official word yet, but this is interesting...

http://wosu.org/2012/news/2014/09/15/oh-beer-abv-limit-snag-stone-brewing-deal-8/

I thought all along Columbus was more of a distant third behind Richmond and Norfolk and this certainly makes it even less likely that Columbus would land Stone. IMO, it has been Richmond vs Norfolk the entire time. Hopefully they choose Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/norfolk-reported-out-then-back-stone-brewing

Looks like possible bad news on the Stone Brewing front. It was originally reported that Norfolk was out, though they are saying Norfolk is still in. However, from the Style Weekly and the Pilot article, it appears to be more damage control against an accidental slip of the tongue than a legit "Norfolk is still in this". Appears the governor is pushing for this to go to Richmond at this point as well.

Sigh, this would be a great fit in Norfolk. And hopefully, if Norfolk has been eliminated for the brewery itself, they at least bring the auxiliary brewery/restaurant to town.

I almost get the feeling from the article that Stone really wants to end up in Columbus (if I recall correctly, the founder grew up there). Reading not too much between the lines, they are waiting to see what kind of incentive package Columbus can offer (Just my opinion, but another reason it's taking longer than they expected is that they didn't expect the vote to allow higher ABV beers to take so long). If they come back even somewhat close on incentives and legalize the ability to brew beer with higher alcohol content, I think Columbus has this one in the bag. If not, they appear Richmond bound.

I think RVA is going to be the winner for this fight.  There are too many legislative roadblocks over in Columbus with the amount of the alcohol that is capped for brewing.  I think the finalists have always been RVA & Norfolk.   I agree with you completely if do they settle in RVA that they can at least open a satellite brewery over in Norfolk.  

As much work as Norfolk has put in to making this happen, I'd like to think Stone has at least recognized the efforts. I'm not even a big fan of IPAs, but I'd be very disappointed if they didn't at least land a satellite brewery here. The city is really trying to raise its status as a place for microbreweries, and one or the other would really look good.

• 2 weeks later...

I am ridiculously unsurprised by this news, the writing has been on the wall for a while. With this and the ODU economic report we just can't seem to catch a break. We've got a real problem attracting major outside interests that we need to address soon. Our dependence on the military is gonna be the death of this region.

I am ridiculously unsurprised by this news, the writing has been on the wall for a while. With this and the ODU economic report we just can't seem to catch a break. We've got a real problem attracting major outside interests that we need to address soon. Our dependence on the military is gonna be the death of this region.

While they will actually be in VB rather than Norfolk, the Hampton Roads area IS getting Green Flash Brewery at the least. They won't supply the number of jobs that Stone will and they don't have quite as much sizzle as Stone, they are a solid brewer in their own right.

And hopefully Stone will bring the smaller auxiliary brewery/restaurant to the Harbor Park area as was rumored earlier in this thread. IMO, had Stone not planned to put another brewery in Europe, Norfolk would have stood a better shot. But now that they will be in Berlin, the ports weren't really a big selling point anymore. Looking at it from a neutral perspective, Richmond was the clear choice here. And once the state got involved as well, they would clearly champion Richmond over Norfolk too.

The World Bistro and Gardens will be built adjacent to the brewery on the riverfront, next to the cap to cap trail and on the new BRT line. Should be pretty awesome. Hope that you guys can make it up when everything is up and running.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/stone-brewing-co-chooses-richmond-virginia-east-coast-build/

The World Bistro and Gardens will be built adjacent to the brewery on the riverfront, next to the cap to cap trail and on the new BRT line. Should be pretty awesome. Hope that you guys can make it up when everything is up and running.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/stone-brewing-co-chooses-richmond-virginia-east-coast-build/

Down the road, hopefully Norfolk will get a World Bistro and Gardens too (per the rumor mentioned a couple pages back). That was the formula in CA as well, with a 2nd WB&G opened in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, looks like Norfolk finally stuck to their guns and didn't give up the farm just to get a business to relocate here. Having stone would've been nice but we have far more important projects that need city money (i.e. light rail) and in the end I'm glad we didn't take the deal.

Hmm, looks like Norfolk finally stuck to their guns and didn't give up the farm just to get a business to relocate here. Having stone would've been nice but we have far more important projects that need city money (i.e. light rail) and in the end I'm glad we didn't take the deal.

Looks like $5 million came from a state grant though. Wonder if that was on the table for Norfolk (ha!).

Though the $8 million in incentives from the city for the restaurant and beer garden is a bad deal. I know that's part of the bigger package to land the brewery, but Richmond appears to be almost fully subsidizing what amounts to a restaurant. A nice restaurant... but a restaurant.

I don't think you guys quite understand how it is working. The city EDA is building the brewery and the restaurant/beer garden, but Stone is paying rent on both so the cost will be recouped. Richmond isn't giving them $9 million and saying "have fun at the beer garden!" The only real difference between this and a private developer is that the developer would structure the deal to recoup their investment plus make a return. The City is viewing its ROI as the increased tax revenues, jobs, tourism, etc. It's a clear net benefit. From the same article:

"After subtracting the city's financial incentives, the administration projects net revenues of $23.6 million."

I don't think you guys quite understand how it is working. The city EDA is building the brewery and the restaurant/beer garden, but Stone is paying rent on both so the cost will be recouped. Richmond isn't giving them $9 million and saying "have fun at the beer garden!" The only real difference between this and a private developer is that the developer would structure the deal to recoup their investment plus make a return. The City is viewing its ROI as the increased tax revenues, jobs, tourism, etc. It's a clear net benefit. From the same article:

"After subtracting the city's financial incentives, the administration projects net revenues of $23.6 million."

I understand how it works. City of Richmond puts up some incentives for the brewery but then ALSO puts in almost all of the risk on the restaurant/beer garden. Stone rents it back in a deal that allows Richmond to recoup their costs if the deal works out ideally (you and I both know that this doesn't always happen). 

It's a good deal for Richmond and I wish we could have gotten Stone here. You and I also know that "projected net revenues" are almost ALWAYS extreme high-ball,optimistic numbers. With a projection of $23.6 mil over decades, we're not talking a cash cow here. 

However, the brewery DOES also bring with it several hundred jobs and that's a good thing for Richmond. And it may bring a couple hundred more in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/11/do-stones-richmond-demands-open-door-norfolk

No way man

"Stone Brewing Co. pressured the Richmond City Council last week to quickly approve an incentive package – or else it would reconsider the decision to open its Eastern brewery there, according to local media reports."

Because we're known for dragging our feet on everything. We always drag our feet on everything. 

• 3 months later...

Somewhat interesting news.... Some city leaders in Richmond seem like they are not on board with Stone. Been some Facebook chatter that Stone might not go to Richmond now.

Well, they better not come here with hat in hand. We don't need them with all those demands. I think the only way we should accept them now is with no public money...None. They can sink or swim on their own.

Well, they better not come here with hat in hand. We don't need them with all those demands. I think the only way we should accept them now is with no public money...None. They can sink or swim on their own.

I think the ship in Norfolk has sailed. If for whatever reason they pull out of Richmond, they'll be going straight to Columbus.

Archived