EBR School's

Mr. Burnham

EBR Schools have a pretty impressive Magnet program...& a couple of  Top Notch STEM High Schools (BRHS & Lee HS); those schools produce talents that end up at Ivy League schools like Harvard; Yale; MIT & Stanford out west.....Istrouma is coming back....& many improvements & renovations in the works for outdated schools all across EBR.

Up to 15 new, rebuilt schools on East Baton Rouge school construction 'wish list'

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_8fc1fb54-9a67-11e7-8fa6-330a22a81972.html

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! Hopefully they can come up with a good plan. Even though our schools are "horrible" luckily we still have 5 of the best districts around us. Still it'd be nice if we could be one of the best too. Since BR is a family city it'd definitely help our growth.
I'm willing to bet those are all suburban districts?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

On 10/4/2017 at 8:31 PM, dan326 said:

Yh, I think people get triggered easily but it's just party of being human.

Is Southdowns renovated/rebuilt? Lee High is nice, hopefully the new Sherwood elementary school is as nice.

I'd agree. 

You know the answer. Would you rather live next to Lee High or Capitol High?

On 9/28/2017 at 6:48 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Hey don't get smart with me young man.
What do you guys think the reason for that is?

My un-PC answer is this: 

You can call white parents hicks, racists, or trash all you want.   They will do what is best for their children and have zero shame about it.    I can respect that.    Forced busing and a 45 year deseg lawsuit destroyed Baton Rouge's school district.    There is simply no way to stop the explosion of growth in areas with competitive school districts.   The only way to bring in that development and spending power closer to the city core is to create more viable public school options in East Baton Rouge parish while maintaining a competitive magnet school system.

I've long advocated for new school districts to be setup within the city/parish and narrow the influence of the current EBR school board to rebuilding the inner city districts.   At this point we have to preserve the tax base in East Baton Rouge so the entire city/parish doesn't fall the way of Detroit in 50 years.   

Everybody wants Baton Rouge to be more like Austin.   Austin has ISDs.

On 10/4/2017 at 7:04 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I think people prefer "feel good talk" instead of actually doing the work to pound out solutions. All of our schools and neighborhoods should look like Lee High and Southdowns.

I agree with that.   They did a great job with Lee, Scotlandville Middle, and even Woodlawn (which is now approaching 20 years old).     

It's amazing what can happen when you don't have to hire a team of lawyers to defend from a 45 year old federal lawsuit.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:22 PM, richyb83 said:

Part of it is socio-economics

I'd be willing to put diverse  BRHS or Lee (STEM) HS up against ANY of those other schools in Zachary, Central, Livingston, or Ascension. NO CONTEST!

Yeah, but you have to test into them .   BRMHS is among the best in the entire state.   

• 2 weeks later...

True.... &  More Magnet schools are in the works.  The new Lee HS is on a National Award level with architecture along the lines of San Diego & Seattle...beautiful campus!

Not sure if St.George will come up again or not? But a lot of these newly proposed schools are in that area...

The Jefferson Home Site...a large/open clean green grass north of Blue Cross has always been interesting just sitting there vacant for years...could be put to good use; wasn't sure of the Zoning;Land-use...but those dreaded traffic concerns always rear their ugly head:rolleyes:

BASIS School at new Woman's Hospital is Under Construction.....IDEA at LSU Innovation Park too

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_bfbac31c-b421-11e7-a562-cbdca9cf2313.html

image.thumb.png.50dbb10e621fe297c0a2cf2092f80317.png

Archived