Which Cities Have The Best Night-Time Skyline?

Which Cities Have The Best Night-Time Skyline?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cities Have The Best Night-Time Skyline?

• Dallas
    • Pittsburgh
    • Atlanta
    • Memphis
    • Nashville
    • New York
    • Houston
    • Miami
    • Chicago
    • San Fransisco
    • Minneapolis
    • Detroit
    • Las Vegas
    • Cleveland

Yeah, New York has the MOST number of skyscrapers, and some of the most beautiful ones too. However, I thought that this was a poll based on whose skyline we think is most attractive, I didn't think we were judging on the total number of 'scrapers. Cities who don't have skyscrapers at all are still impressive and beautiful (Washington, DC, Paris).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta, of course, I can see why Chris put 2 pictures on for Atlanta. The way they are all spread out makes it look like a gateway to heaven a night. most cities' buildings have all of their buildings bunched up and I dont think that is attractive, except places like New York where the buildings, kind of don't stop at some angles.

Rennasaince Center is one of my favorite skyscraper complexes. Ill be in detriot in August, so I might take a couple of pics. It's really just light I like about it, but it looks nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is best seen from Windsor, so you should take a little trip over there. Try going at dusk so you can get a daytime shot and a lit-up night time shot. Enjoy your trip here!

I vote for Charlotte, not only because I live here, but because it truly does look like a few blocks of the magnificent skyline of NYC. It has magnificent architecture and superb lighting, though I still wish they lit the top of One Wachovia a green color.

skyline.jpg

If Memphis could be lit up like this all the time, that'd be sh-weet. Too bad we can't see the whole panorama (no skyline shot is worth it without the Mississippi Bridge and Pyramid, which are probably the two best features of any night time Memphis shot)

yeah clobber, that would look nice, for yall who don't know the pyramid below is in memphis. It is a sports arena and concert venue.

memphis-01b.jpg

Oh, SkysDalimit, when they said that Charlotte only looks like a few blocks of New York, Im 100% sure it was an insult.

New York is New York, Charlotte Is Not New York, Atlanta Is Not New York, Los Angeles is not New York.ETC....ETC....ETC.... Don't look up to New York in a way that you have to make your city look inferior, I mean Your city doesn't look like a few blocks of New York, Your city looks like CHarlotte, North Carolina. Be like the other Charlotte overposters and be overproud of your city. It Will Take Any US City At least A hundred years to look like today's New York.

• 2 weeks later...

Voted for hometown--San Francisco. The image posted though was pretty weak...

Still I love or used to love (don't know if they show them anymore) of New York's Rockerfellow (sp?) Center lit up in brilliant white on NBC's Dateline... What a wonderous sight-- that Center and its golden statues glowing in white in the black of night...

As for my beloved SF, The City's skyline looks better at night, esp. seen in its glory from Treasure Island or the Bay Bridge than in the daytime IMO. If you view the financial district from the Embarcardero where I did recently, the sudden rise of short to mid-size scrapers makes little related sense; the buildings stand without unity or any clear connection, and more like a protective brick wall as compared Manhattan's skyline in daytime or night...

These pics don't do these towns justice. Here are some od those cities that I have collected:

Chicago

cityChicagoIL14searsnight.jpg

cityChicagoIL07night.jpg

cityChicagoIL19night.jpg

New York City

cityNYCNY19midtownnight.jpg

cityNYCNY15pannight.jpg

cityNYCNY17memorial.jpg

San Francisco

citySanFransiscoCA.jpg

citySanFrancisco02.jpg

Atlanta

cityAtlantaGA10night.jpg

cityAtlantaGA12night.jpg

cityAtlantaGa14night.jpg

cityatlantaga27.jpg

I am curious as to why smaller places like Memphis and Pittsburgh were included and larger ones like Philadelphia and Seattle were not?

IMO none of these can beat New York.

Archived