Greensboro on short list for Stone Brewing east coast location

cityboi

Unfortunately, the Business Journal publication (based in Charlotte) has become a Ra Ra pulpit for some of the NC metros as have the local newspapers. They were one of the promulgators of this. I think the Charlotte Observer has some dolt whose only job is to exalt the greatness of the town and speculate on the unsubstantiated. Its like the Mayberry press. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Ya - but only one of the three linked sources is a Business Journal.

If you do read the business journal article though - I would look at the linked tweet which is a picture of the Stone Brewing founders and the Columbus mayor.   That plus the fact that one of STone's founders is from Central OH - I'm kinda leaning towards giving this story more credibility than simple cheerleading as you mention.

I never got the idea of Greensboro to be honest.  RVA, Charleston, and yes, definitely, Ohio - Hell Columbus OHIO is the perfect point for distribution to Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast!  You can reach the major population centers of Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, NYC, Washington DC, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Nashville,  in 8 hours or less (many of them in about 6 hours or less).  You can be in Atlanta in under 9, and Boston in under 12.  The logistics is a no brainer.

Obviously I would have loved this in Charlotte, though I would certainly understood Asheville, and Wilmington, but I never understood Greensboro as a serious contender.   That's not to say I am against a Greensboro selection - it's damn good for the state for Stone located there.   I just think they may have jumped the gun a bit which is going to look bad if it is not them - which I don't think it is.

"I think the Charlotte Observer has some dolt whose only job is to exalt the greatness of the town and speculate on the unsubstantiated. Its like the Mayberry press."

Sounds like the clowns at the GSO N&R as well as at the Triad Business Journal...They drink some serious kool-aid over there.

Well, instead of researching things themselves, they schmuck around on boards like this to get a scoop. To be honest, there really is no reason for the Business Journal publication to exist anymore, or most regional newspapers for that matter-its usually blog style opinion fluff about how great the town is or the how wonderful the sports franchise is doing and propaganda from the respective chamber of commerce.  

• 2 weeks later...

Greensboro not in the running for Stone.

The thing that gets me though is Greensboro's mayor. First she claimed the city was on a shortlist when reports from Stone reps themselves at the time and later said there was no shortlist.

Now she claims that Stone is changing their strategy because:

Vaughan said Stone Brewing is changing its plans and is seeking to expand instead in the Northeast and Midwest rather than the East Coast. With that shift in location, anticipated fuel costs "automatically locked North and South Carolina out of contention," Vaughan said. "I believe they're focusing on Virginia and Ohio at this point."

But here's the thing: the strategy was always clearly a location "East of the Mississippi" so I don't see how that has changed, or is right for her to claim Stone somehow is changing their original plans. Also since when is Virginia and the Northeast not part of the East Coast?

It sounds like Vaughn talked when she shouldn't have and now has egg on her face and is trying to make it look like Stone suddenly decided to change its area of focus.

http://m.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/07/stone-brewing-passes-over-greensboro-for-60m-east.html

Agreed, she opened her big yap at a point in Stone's deliberations when the entire East Coast was still under consideration and all sites that were visited were all being viewed as equals. That horse manure about fuel costs is just trying to save face. I guess someone didn't emphasize the point enough that GSO was centrally located between CLT & RDU with an extensive highway network.

All the eight lane highways in the world won't save the day. One would wonder exactly what site she was touting? Surely it was not downtown . Not enough critical mass, and so far removed from hot retail zones that greensboro's sprawl has created, and everyone so loves. This development will require traffic 24/7, 365 days a year to support itself.

• 2 months later...

Archived