Urban Walmart

sunshine

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If an urban walmart was proposed in downtown Orlando...do we want it? and where?

Well, I'd prefer other alternatives, but for the fact that none have stepped up to the plate, I want it either at the old gas station on the corner of Orange and Robinson, or the triangle piece of land across from skyhouse on Livingston and Rosalind.

In an article on yet another apartment tower proposed for South Eola (I think it was OBJ, but I can't find the link at the moment), the reporter asked the developer if he was worried about saturation. The developer replied that the market was "plenty deep," and that the core was nowhere near full in our ability to attract new tenants. But yet we can't support retail? Hmmmm.....

In any event, as much as I'm no fan of Walmart, bring 'em on! I, along with several of my downtown compatriots, have committed to shop with any merchant who will respect us enough to build downtown.  I like the idea of both Orange/Robinson and the old tech school site mentioned - both would be perfect for reaching on foot.

Interesting topic. I'm not a huge fan of Wal Mart, but understand why many choose to shop there. And if you look at the retail landscape downtown, there isn't a Wal Mart for miles (the closest being the company's Neighborhood Market grocery store on Orange and Michigan and the new-ish Super Center on OBT on the outskirts of College Park).

I really like CityTargets - I just wondered with a SuperTarget and a traditional store so close by (SoDo and Colonial/Maguire, respectively) whether they would do a downtown store at this point. Target's also going through some rough sledding at the moment (not that Walmart's US stores are running on all cylinders right now, either).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was just announced that City Target is scouting space in San Diego's fledgling East Village neighborhood -- proof that with proper city planning, you can turn a once barren wasteland into a thriving residential district. 

This should be the model for Parramore.

Archived