Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dan326

Historic Orlando Sites

6 posts in this topic

Ill be in Orlando next week and was wondering if  there was any historic sites. For example Im from Baton Rouge, wthich has a lot of plantation houses and old churches. Is there anything like that, old houses or public buildings/districts? Any other information about non-typical points of interest like county/ state parks or what not would also be appreciated.

Church St Station in downtown Orlando is pretty historic.

St Augustine is pretty historic if you don't mind taking about a 2 hour drive.

We used to have a rather large, 3,500 year old ancient cypress tree, one of the oldest known trees on Earth, but some stupid tweaker burned it down while trying to smoke meth inside of it.

I would suggest Casa Feliz and the Knowles Memorial Chapel in Winter Park - and the boat tour... just let them know you're more interested in history than celebs. 

Edited by smileguy

Start with the Orange County Regional History Center http://www.thehistorycenter.org/

Also, if one is going on while you're here, Sexton Don Price's nighttime tours of the city's Greenwood Cemetery are priceless!

Thanks! 

I didn't expect Florida to have so many live oaks!  

I forgot to mention if you have a car to check out Bok Tower Gardens,it's one of central Florida's treasures. Unless I had grown up with it, I would never have believed you could fuse Deco and Gothic, but at the Singing Tower they managed to do it with gusto.

http://boktowergardens.org/