Pinnacle Hills West

RemusCal

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this means anything, but earlier this week my husband was on a flight from Chicago to XNA. Said a fellow passenger was carrying a large notebook labeled "Macy's Proposal" on it. Hmmm. 

Macy does have a freestanding "lifestyle" type store format now.

Macy's does have a freestanding store in Overland Park, Kansas area, surrounded by other retailers in a 'lifestyle' type center there.  Who knows, with the attention the area has gotten lately and now surpassing 500,000 people in the MSA, it can only mean more shopping and other types of retailers new to the market.

On another note, a coworker was in Dallas this weekend and asked the store manager at Trader Joes when they would come to NW Arkansas.  The store manager said there would be one in NW Arkansas by the end of the year.  He didn't know whether Fayetteville or Rogers, but either way, its good news.

Macy's does have a freestanding store in Overland Park, Kansas area, surrounded by other retailers in a 'lifestyle' type center there.  Who knows, with the attention the area has gotten lately and now surpassing 500,000 people in the MSA, it can only mean more shopping and other types of retailers new to the market.

On another note, a coworker was in Dallas this weekend and asked the store manager at Trader Joes when they would come to NW Arkansas.  The store manager said there would be one in NW Arkansas by the end of the year.  He didn't know whether Fayetteville or Rogers, but either way, its good news.

The Trader Joes comment is surprising to me anyway.  There are lot of bigger metro areas in our region without one.  (Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock, Memphis)

With all the upcoming options in Fayetteville, I'd have to think that if Trader Joe's comes to NWA it would be somewhere in Bentonville/Rogers area.

With all the upcoming options in Fayetteville, I'd have to think that if Trader Joe's comes to NWA it would be somewhere in Bentonville/Rogers area.

They recently opened a DC in the Metroplex, It's also known they are pretty much going to locate near the Memphis/Germantown line on Poplar. Locations in the major MSAs in the region is only a matter of time. Fayetteville would do themselves a solid and get Sunday liquor sales approved so they could sell wines 7 days a week.

Not only has NWA passed the magic 500k number, but it is also projected to be one of the faster growing US metros over the next 20 years.  Retailers are smart to put down stakes now while it is still relatively affordable.

one reason we'd jump an MSA like Tulsa for a Traders.........demos.  We are attractive demo wise to all these types of food stores all of a sudden

My hopes are not up nor will they be for most retailers. I'd rather see true competition like Kroger in the supermarket arena. I just believe there's been an explosion of "healthy" grocers because while we are smaller than some MSA areas we are as strong on the core demographics that would shop these types of stores. Meaning a mostly white demo that's solidly middle class or liberal leaning younger folks associated with the universe sphere and the trend lines suggest further growth mainly in those to areas.

My hopes are not up nor will they be for most retailers. I'd rather see true competition like Kroger in the supermarket arena. I just believe there's been an explosion of "healthy" grocers because while we are smaller than some MSA areas we are as strong on the core demographics that would shop these types of stores. Meaning a mostly white demo that's solidly middle class or liberal leaning younger folks associated with the universe sphere and the trend lines suggest further growth mainly in those to areas.

You would think NWA has grown enough that some other major supermarket chain would take an interest.  But then again Walmart has made a very serious push in opening a lot of new stores in the metro.  Even most likely taking away business from some of their other locations.  So once again making it less desirable for another major chain to want to make a move. 

I think raw population needs to be accounted for, and blended with demographics of the area.  Hypothetical example - If only 20% of Tulsa would ever shop at say, Trader Joes, and 30% of NWA would, that's still a gap of 50-70k people (depending upon what site you reference).  Even though a smaller percentage of Tulsa would shop there, thus making Tulsa appear to have different demographics, the overall shopper count for the retailer would be higher in Tulsa.

And even with the 500k mark being hit, I think you'd have to look at realistic shoppers as well.  Is someone in McDonald county in Missouri, or even Bella Vista, likely to drive to the Whole Foods in Fayetteville for groceries?  Maybe so.  But just something to consider.

Why would we need a Cheesecake Factory when I can just go to Walmart and buy one of their cheesecakes :-)

Walmart has made a concerted effort to saturate this market. Have you looked at walmart's organic/gluten free/vegan options lately? It is nice to have dedicated "Health food grocery stores" but walmart can satisfy many of the staple items....

I do miss living in Seattle & (oddly enough) Little Rock for their wide variety of food options; both raw ingredients & prepared offerings. 

Why would we need a Cheesecake Factory when I can just go to Walmart and buy one of their cheesecakes :-)

Walmart has made a concerted effort to saturate this market. Have you looked at walmart's organic/gluten free/vegan options lately? It is nice to have dedicated "Health food grocery stores" but walmart can satisfy many of the staple items....

I do miss living in Seattle & (oddly enough) Little Rock for their wide variety of food options; both raw ingredients & prepared offerings. 

Walmart may be getting more Organic options and that is great that they are leading the way on that. However, when it comes to bread, meat, and produce, Trader Joes and Whole Foods still is much better.  Plus Walmart doesn't even have a fresh seafood section like Whole Foods would have or Fresh Market has.  So there is definitely a place in the market for Organic and Fresh type of grocery stores.

Oh and one more thing about Trader Joes...

If you look on their website, they are opening new locations in Fort Collins, CO and Spokane, WA.  Both of those markets are not major metropolitan areas like Little Rock, Tulsa, or Oklahoma City, but they are still moving into those markets.  Whatever their formula is, I don't think it necessarily has to be a major population center.  Although I would expect for them to move into these major markets too.

Walmart may be getting more Organic options and that is great that they are leading the way on that. However, when it comes to bread, meat, and produce, Trader Joes and Whole Foods still is much better.  Plus Walmart doesn't even have a fresh seafood section like Whole Foods would have or Fresh Market has.  So there is definitely a place in the market for Organic and Fresh type of grocery stores.

Oh and one more thing about Trader Joes...

If you look on their website, they are opening new locations in Fort Collins, CO and Spokane, WA.  Both of those markets are not major metropolitan areas like Little Rock, Tulsa, or Oklahoma City, but they are still moving into those markets.  Whatever their formula is, I don't think it necessarily has to be a major population center.  Although I would expect for them to move into these major markets too.

Trader already has several stores and distribution hubs in Washington State and Denver making it an easy leap to hit Ft Collins (1 hr from Denver) and Spokane. Traders could come here eventually, just not in the works right now. I think Whole Foods opening in Fayetteville will be a good barometer for specialty grocers and their success will lead to more stores in NWA. I'd imagine it is logical for Whole Foods to look at Rogers after a year or two of strong sales in Fayetteville, which we know they'll have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The District at Pinnacle Hills is starting next to the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Pinnacle area.  I am hoping for a full service hotel like a Westin, Marriott, or Hilton.  Also, would be good to get new restaurants/retail to the area we don't already have in this area instead of repeat retailers.

I am also still in hopes for a Promenade #2 with additional retailers.  I still can't believe we don't have an Apple Store in the area, especially with the UofA so close.

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/14842/whisinvests-district-at-pinnacle-hills-takes-off

There is certainly a finite amount of land still available in the Pinnacle Hills area so I wonder if they will go vertical with some of these 17 planned buildings ...

Between having a 'Simply Mac' store and 'Megabyte' (longtime certified Apple dealer), I'm not sure an Apple store would fill much of a void in the market.  I buy all my MacBooks, iPads and Apple accessories from Megabyte and their customer service has always been outstanding.  Seems every time I have been in an Apple store it is elbow-to-elbow while the majority of the people are just playing on demo units with minimal intent to buy.

Archived