World Cup viewing party?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've looked also and haven't found such a venue.     Closest thing is the outdoor viewing party at Dan McGuinness at the Musica roundabout, which is home base for the local Outlaws chapter.     Having said that, I went there on Sunday and it was bursting at the seams.    We watched the first half from just outside the fence (which was a decent view) and then relocated to The Pub in the Gulch for the second half.    Still crowded, but was a better place to watch.       

Like you, I'd like to see a big screen go up in the courthouse square, or heck, on the jumbo in LP Field!    

I did see that they will be showing the final match at LP field. That's nice and all, but let's face it, the US will not be in that match. I want to see the US play. I (personally) don't really care about Croatia vs. Portugal. But any chance to scream "Merika!" I'm all about it.

I wonder if some of the enthusiasm for the World Cup was diminished by Vanderbilt's fantastic College World Series run. The television numbers seem to suggest that. Locally, the CWS had ratings that were about twice as high as that of the World Cup. While the events took place during a different time slot, my reasoning would be that casual fan excitement (for sports in general) was preoccupied with the more locally based event than with the international event. Since some sports fans are only willing to dedicate a certain amount of their time to sports outside of their usual spectrum, it may have cost the WC some local viewership.

It would be interesting to see if local ratings are a bit higher for the knockout round now that the CWS is over with.

You may be right, but it's still frustrating for me that there is no viewing party, as there is in virtually every other city in America.

I know why though. Nashville has this notion, that if you want to get a large group of people together you have to sell them beer, you have to have a security checkpoint and there has to be a fence around it.

Hey.....believe it or not, we can actually survive on our own. Geez, that's how you build civic pride, by letting us get together without the Gestapo monitoring us the whole time like a bunch of 5 year olds.

Archived