A Lansing Sunset (5-24-2005)

RustTown

Not much to explain besides that I like taking pictures as you guys are far too well aware of now. I like how most of these one's turned out; even some of the ones shot against the sun with harsh shadows.

Below Michigan Avenue Bridge

711_mich_ave_bridge.jpg

Michigan HofJ/Supreme Court

712_michigan_hofj.jpg

An odd angle (the only kind of angles you can get) of the Michigan Veteran's Memorial.

713_vietnam_vet.jpg

(what it looks like at night)

vets2_6380_7.jpg

Michigan Capitol Mall

714_cap.jpg

The Lansing Towers, which needs a serious paint job

715_lansing_towers.jpg

Massive State Library and Historical Center

716_historic_library_center.jpg

Old and New

718_mnt_view.jpg

Just plain old

719_cap.jpg

Auto-Owner's Insurance Building-turned-Grady Porter Courts Building

7110_court.jpg

Harsh lighting for 101

7111_101.jpg

Phoenix Building on the failed Washington Square Mall with a messy outdoor bulletin board

7112_phoenix.jpg

7113_phoenix_ii.jpg

Shiawassee Bridge looking north...

7114_grand_river.jpg

...southwest...

7115_line.jpg

...northeast...

7115_riverfront_towers.jpg

...southwest...again.

7116_oss.jpg

The River Trail cutting through the eastern half of Adado Riverfront Park - Lansing's downtown event park

7117_trail.jpg

The Docks in Summer

7118_skyline.jpg

Lastly, one of those cheesy historic markers

7119_skyline_ii.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lmich

Wolverine, there is a 90+ story atrium that disects the building. It's very spacious. We went there on a class trip when I was smaller, and for a museum it's really awesome.

I've never been in the library half of it, though.

• 3 weeks later...

lmichigan --

What is your opinion on taking out the North Lansing dam and fish ladder?

Would it make the riverfront better, or lessinteresting?

What are the objections to letting the Grand River revert to a more natural state?

My opinion for taking out the North Lansing damn and Brenke Fish Ladder is this:

It would make fishing better, but not significantly. That is the only good thing that could come out of this. Other than that, I'm in complete objection to removing it. It would lower the Grand 4 feet between just south of downtown to the damn which would make many of the boat launches in between useless. It would make the river look smaller and everything built up or into the river would now lie too far back to make it worth anything, anymore.

The damn has been there for over 100 years and the city formed around the river after that so everything is built to how the river was after the damn was built.

It would be one big mess and disaster. And this is not even to mention how the damn and the ladder are North Lansing landmarks.

Archived