Orlando Fashion Square [Renovation in Progress]

demon

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Do college kids go to Macy's?

I would imagine that at a school like UF, the majority, or at least a large percentage of the kids going there, come from upper to upper-upper middle class, well to do families, and whose parents are footing the bill for tuition, dorm residency and a decent allowance for spending money. In the case of the female students, we all know how girls love to shop at malls and spend money on clothes, shoes and accessories. I would think that a good portion of that particular Gainesville Macy's revenue came from local (mostly female) college kids.

• Like 2

Nobody goes to that Mall.  When I went to school there 20 years ago, nobody went. It's not close to campus and I would imagine that it was more Millhopper clientele. College kids would go to  Archer Row big box stores with Target, Wal-mart, Pier 1, Best Buy, Office Max, Kohls, Sam's, Lowes, etc. 

On 1/8/2018 at 4:39 PM, W7edwin said:

as a college student that goes to UCF i dont know of ANYONE (especially of my demographic) who shops at Macys'.  Ive always found it to be expensive, old people clothes lmaoo

Im 27 and I LOOK in Macy's but rarely every buy anything. You can get some good steals there but you need to go at the right time. 

Here's some free advice to them. Their "Last Call" section has some amazing prices and I would definitely get stuff from there, however, for some reason, they refuse to organize it. It's not by size or anything. It's too much work to sit there and look through everything. 

They do have an outlet location in Altamonte now which was pretty good. It's basically a Marshalls. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm still annoyed the apartments they're building behind the mall took the Cady Way trailhead and parking area.  I've been running that trail for years and starting anywhere but the trailhead throws off my OCD-like metrics on the mileage.  Does anyone know if they are adding to the trail/rebuilding the trailhead as part of the project?  Seems like something the city would demand

1 hour ago, Universe_Explorer said:

I'm still annoyed the apartments they're building behind the mall took the Cady Way trailhead and parking area.  I've been running that trail for years and starting anywhere but the trailhead throws off my OCD-like metrics on the mileage.  Does anyone know if they are adding to the trail/rebuilding the trailhead as part of the project?  Seems like something the city would demand

They will have to.  I emailed the city about it and posted the response on the first page of this thread.   They'll be rebuilding some of the trailhead infrastructure, and the closure should last until the end of this year.

Edited by WAJAS98
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 4:39 PM, W7edwin said:

as a college student that goes to UCF i dont know of ANYONE (especially of my demographic) who shops at Macys'.  Ive always found it to be expensive, old people clothes lmaoo

Where do young people shop? Just curious. 

14 minutes ago, jack said:

Gainesville's Oaks Mall came up again today in the Gainesville Sun with the announcement that Sears would be closing there by mid-July.

I can't imagine many college kids are shopping at Sears these days but it seems significant that a town as large as Gainesville will no longer have a Sears.

That suggests to me the end is inevitable. Florida, Altamonte and Volusia Malls all have large Sears stores. It's interesting to ponder what those malls will do to fill up pretty big chunks of space.

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Gainesville's Oaks Mall came up again today in the Gainesville Sun with the announcement that Sears would be closing there by mid-July.

I can't imagine many college kids are shopping at Sears these days but it seems significant that a town as large as Gainesville will no longer have a Sears.

That suggests to me the end is inevitable. Florida, Altamonte and Volusia Malls all have large Sears stores. It's interesting to ponder what those malls will do to fill up pretty big chunks of space.

I was in that area a few months ago and it looked rough with Macys closing, and the person I was with told me they heard rumors the entire mall was gonna get sold to NFRMC and razed, which would mean a town as large as Gainesville could end up with no indoor mall at all. Outside of the malls tourist go to (Florida Mall/Mall at Millenia), which are doing well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

i personally shop @ American Eagle and Calvin Klein Outlets on I-Drive, dds discounts, Ross, [and rarely] JCPenny. I'm really picky with clothes and styles  so i end up with good styles that you wouldn't guess they were bought at those lower priced places 

...soo i just asked some people on my insta living in various states  and they said this :

Stores::   Urban Outfitters, H&M, Ross, Sirens, forever21, JCPenney, thrift stores, Rue21, Marshalls, Platos Closet, Victorias Secret, Charlotte Russe,  and  locally most of the  Premium Outlet stores, 

Online:: an app called Shein,  Amazon , Zumiez, ASOS

Sears and Macys got like 1  mention...GAP and Old Navy are mild favorites 

Edited by W7edwin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, aent said:

I was in that area a few months ago and it looked rough with Macys closing, and the person I was with told me they heard rumors the entire mall was gonna get sold to NFRMC and razed, which would mean a town as large as Gainesville could end up with no indoor mall at all. Outside of the malls tourist go to (Florida Mall/Mall at Millenia), which are doing well?

Altamonte seems to be holding its own so far. The others in Central Florida less so. JRS, how's Volusia Mall doing? Speedway events affect it and I don't know if One Daytona is stealing that thunder or what.

I personally shop at Gap, Old Navy, Express Men, and even Target at times; but I don't really shop for clothes often.  A lot of my outfit is free stuff I've gotten from my college.  I mostly get stuff from Amazon or other online retailers these days.  It's just more convenient.  The main reason I end up in malls these days is because of the theaters, Microsoft Store, and Apple Store.  The latter two only when I have a problem with my tech.

I personally see the small Targets as perfect.  It has everything I need, and I'm not wandering the store for what seems like hours.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, aent said:

A Gainesville without a mall would be weird. I grew up there. And for a brief time, the little town actually had two malls!

On 4/21/2018 at 1:28 PM, Dale said:

A Gainesville without a mall would be weird. I grew up there. And for a brief time, the little town actually had two malls!

that's right!  they had that small mall on north 13th, right?

On 4/20/2018 at 10:04 PM, jack said:

Young people stop when we start comparing our stuff with young peoples' stuff, anything from music to movies to whatever... i.e., when we start saying that our stuff was so much better.  Shiver me timbers!

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, jack said:

Amazon, Zara, H&M - lesser cost retailers.  Millenials are far less materialistic than the proceeding generations.  It is not just technology and convenience of online retailers killing brands, its a full on culture shift away from them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Amazon, Zara, H&M - lesser cost retailers.  Millenials are far less materialistic than the proceeding generations.  It is not just technology and convenience of online retailers killing brands, its a full on culture shift away from them.

:rofl: Good one!!!!!! :D