Orlando Fashion Square [Renovation in Progress]

demon

• 3 months later...

DeBartolo to buy Fashion Square? OBJ says maybe:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/12/07/tampa-developer-to-buy-orlando-fashion-squares.html

DeBartolo was the developer who completed Mills Park and, in a previous incarnation, brought us Altamonte and Florida Malls.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, neoanderz said:

Colonial Lanes is supposed to be getting bulldozed to make way for a storage facility.

Yeah, the linked article mentioned that and we talked about it a bit in another thread. 

Not sure which one. Maybe the Milk District thread. 

Bad enough it's getting torn down, but replacing it with a self storage facility is just adding insult to injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly enough, I keep forgetting there's one on Maguire and Colonial behind the check cashing place.   Also one on Mills by CFE credit union, one on Orange South of Wawa, and one at Bumby and Michigan.  Colonial Lanes is just too important to the community to lose.  Seems like there's plenty of appropriate areas for a self storage place.  Hell the UHaul on 50 across from Wawa could be turned into one of those Uhaul Storage and rental places.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

I've read some articles on why the self-storage industry is booming. From what I got out of it is that people are just spending more on stuff, especially online where purchases tend to be more impulsive. House sizes are shrinking and more people are moving into apartments - they simply don't have as much the space to store all their junk in.

When I moved to Orlando 4 years ago, I had to downsize from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment and down 1150 SF to about 750. . . 

I got rid of a ton of stuff I didn't need and had several garage sales and at the end just started giving away stuff and putting it on the side of the road with a sign that said "free - take this" on it. 

Less is more, really. Now I still buy dumb stuff that I don't need, but hopefully it is stuff that I can use to make my life better. I own 4 bikes and have been buying a crapload of backpacking stuff with the hope that I can get in the outdoors and one day soon hike the AT. 

Odd thing is that the only time I would ever need a Self Storage unit is if I actually do pull the trigger, quit my job, and spend 6 months homeless on the trail. But then again, I wouldn't have to pay the exorbitant DT Orlando rent, so a 200 SF Storage Unit probably wouldn't seem so bad in comparison. 

• Like 2

Apparently the DeBartolo purchase is moving forward. The article notes Macy's has a 50 year lease - wonder if that's from mall opening. That would put them in play in 2023.

Tampa developer lined up to buy Fashion Square mall
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-orlando-fashion-square-bartolo-20180104-story.html

• Like 2

Macy's is apparently closing their store in Gainesville at The Oaks mall. It seems odd to ignore all those college kids, so I'm wondering if they might open a new smaller format store closer to campus. If they do, it would bode well for our chances for something similar downtown after the Fashion Square lease is up.