Orlando Fashion Square [Renovation in Progress]

demon

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:
  • 1,500-1,600 mid- to high-rise apartments
  • 500,000 square feet of retail and restaurants that may include a bowling alley, dine-in theater, indoor karting and high-end arcade
  • 200,000 square feet of office space
  • A parking garage
  • A hotel   

"All"?  I don't remember a few of those things. :dontknow:

There are tons of apartments and office spaces around that mall, so while it wasn't IN the mall, it was very close.  Any theater is dine-in when you bring your own food!!  But there was (is?) a movie theater there.

There definitely wasn't indoor karting, so I'm dead wrong there. 

5 hours ago, leondecollao said:

There’s still a lack of hotel rooms in this city away from the tourist corridor. I suspect a hotel in this location would do very well.  

I can't imagine who will stay there, but I'm no hotel expert.

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

That may be true of the in bound passengers, but what about their crew.

I think the pattern for a lot of trips are fly in in the morning and fly out in the evening. The FBOs have crew rest areas with big comfy recliners for someone to catch a few hours of sleep at the airport.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HankStrong said:

There are tons of apartments and office spaces around that mall, so while it wasn't IN the mall, it was very close.  Any theater is dine-in when you bring your own food!!  But there was (is?) a movie theater there.

There definitely wasn't indoor karting, so I'm dead wrong there. 

Well there was also the mention of "high rise - mid rise apartments".  Something I don't think exists there now. 

As for the number of existing regular (2 - 3 story) apartment complexes, checking Google maps, all I could find in the immediate vicinity of the mall, was one complex back behind Target and the ones (possibly still u/c) over by Dillard's. Maybe some in Baldwin Park. The vast majority of residences around there seem to be single family homes. 

The "dine-in theater" might be some kind of spin off of the old 80's "theater pub" concept, or possibly even live dinner theater.  Either way, there's nothing like that currently there either. Maybe (hopefully) they have some kind of unique concept in mind. 

And the "high end arcade" sounds like it might be some type of "next level" thing we have yet to see around here too. 

Maybe it will be combined with the indoor kart track. 

Guess you can say I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy on this matter. ;)

10 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I wish Chuck would make a Dadeland Mall type development on that property

Do you mean just the mall or the whole area? Downtown Dadeland?

The mall is basically just Millenia. The area though - yes please. It's basically a mini-downtown now. It's a lot of Baptist doctor's and UM students. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Orlando Gaming Center Opens at Fashion Square Mall

"Digital Battlegrounds is every gamer’s dream featuring state-of-the-art gaming equipment, coaching, tournaments and events."

"Digital Battlegrounds 3,300 square feet center will have 32 PC stations, 8 PlayStation pro stations and a PC station for webcasting tournaments."

https://mycentralfloridafamily.com/new-orlando-gaming-center/

Maybe I'll stop by for a game of Joust.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

"Digital Battlegrounds is every gamer’s dream featuring state-of-the-art gaming equipment, coaching, tournaments and events."

"Digital Battlegrounds 3,300 square feet center will have 32 PC stations, 8 PlayStation pro stations and a PC station for webcasting tournaments."

That sounds like something that could have potential for success.

17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Must be a month-to-month or short term lease as the mall's owner has been warehousing spaces - that is not renewing leases when they come up  [e.g. Express] - for nearly two years now, so that they can more easily and more quickly demolish the mall when their plans are finally approved.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

• 1 month later...

I read a column on this last week I can’t find to link. If I do, I’ll post.

Meanwhile, America’s department stores have all been searching for ways to stanch the retail apocalypse.

Some, like Target, Walmart and Nordstrom are finding success based on their 3Q numbers.

Others, like Kohl’s, JCPenney and Macy’s continue to struggle. The column noted that Macy’s has tried all kinds of things to remain relevant. None seem to be working at the moment.

One concept has been to designate “neighborhood stores” with less investment and staff than a full-service or flagship store.

So far, it’s not moved the needle for Macy’s.

For us, we can wonder if the chain is looking at the Fashion Square store in that light, and if so, if the concept seems to be stalling, does Macy’s have a future at whatever Fashion Square is going to be?

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I read a column on this last week I can’t find to link. If I do, I’ll post.

Meanwhile, America’s department stores have all been searching for ways to stanch the retail apocalypse.

Some, like Target, Walmart and Nordstrom are finding success based on their 3Q numbers.

Others, like Kohl’s, JCPenney and Macy’s continue to struggle. The column noted that Macy’s has tried all kinds of things to remain relevant. None seem to be working at the moment.

One concept has been to designate “neighborhood stores” with less investment and staff than a full-service or flagship store.

So far, it’s not moved the needle for Macy’s.

For us, we can wonder if the chain is looking at the Fashion Square store in that light, and if so, if the concept seems to be stalling, does Macy’s have a future at whatever Fashion Square is going to be?

No I thought their lease was up in a few years.  Then they're out.  With Dillard's already out the door.  Also rumor has it Fashion Square Sears was actually profitable before it closed, it just was that Seritage would have made more money off of Floor and Decor, Longhorn, Olive Garden and Orchard being on the site.  The remainder of Sears is actually suing Seritage over that point since Sears did own that land that was spun into Seritage.  With as sorry as JCPenney is looking now, Dillards basically being a clearance outlet, and Macy's counting the days till its lease expires or gets bought out, that mall's pretty much done.

25 minutes ago, codypet said:

No I thought their lease was up in a few years.  Then they're out.  With Dillard's already out the door.  Also rumor has it Fashion Square Sears was actually profitable before it closed, it just was that Seritage would have made more money off of Floor and Decor, Longhorn, Olive Garden and Orchard being on the site.  The remainder of Sears is actually suing Seritage over that point since Sears did own that land that was spun into Seritage.  With as sorry as JCPenney is looking now, Dillards basically being a clearance outlet, and Macy's counting the days till its lease expires or gets bought out, that mall's pretty much done.

It would make sense that Sears was still profitable as Sears remained a respected department store brand on Puerto Rico long after it began declining on the mainland. Given it was the closest Sears to the PR community in Azalea Park, it may still have been ok. (Another interesting thing about Sears: Sears Mexico is still alive and well and has really great looking stores- I don’t think Eddie Lampert has been able to get his greedy little paws on them yet, thankfully.)

I’m guessing the Macy’s lease is up in 2023 since that’s when the store (and the mall) will be 50.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, codypet said:

Not arguing the point, but having been in there a few times in the weeks/months prior to their closing, it's hard to see how.

It was always pretty dead in there.

Unless they were doing well in the big ticket item departments like TV's, major appliances, etc.

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Not arguing the point, but having been in there a few times in the weeks/months prior to their closing, it's hard to see how.

It was always pretty dead in there.

Unless they were doing well in the big ticket item departments like TV's, major appliances, etc.

I suspect the Auto Centers were pretty profitable.  I know I went in there regularly and bought small items here and there.   (I came very very close to buying my mattress there too).  I can see  lawn mowers, appliances, and tvs selling well in that store.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

I suspect the Auto Centers were pretty profitable.  I know I went in there regularly and bought small items here and there.   (I came very very close to buying my mattress there too).  I can see  lawn mowers, appliances, and tvs selling well in that store.

I bought a flat screen TV there about 10 years ago and several tools, like a table saw and one of those multi-use, power saw/cutter/sander things.

I miss them. It doesn't quite seem like Orlando anymore without the Fashion Square Sears. :(

• 4 weeks later...