UICA Exit Space Project

GRDadof3

The DDA is looking at financially assisting a project by UICA artists to blanket downtown with murals and other street art (working with building owners, not doing it haphazardly). I hope the city embraces this project as it could be really cool if done right.

Any ideas of where you'd like to see murals done? I can think of at least a few areas...

Here's the site but it's very vague at this point.

http://exitspaceproject.com/main/exhibition/

If you want to read the DDA description (suggested) it's on page 57, 58:

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Downtown-Development-Authority/Downtown%20Development/DDA%20July%209%202014%20Agenda%20Packet.pdf

I hope to god they don't make this too "touristy" though, as it hints at in the descriptors..

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for it as long as we don't get a mural that looks like it should be airbrushed on the side of a van (like the horse they painted on the side of the building on Grandville for ArtPrize). :)

Joe

AGREED!!! :) And the language that they use regarding "tourism" and things that are indicative of Grand Rapids makes me worried. Hopefully we don't get a bunch of pictures of trout either like the side of Grand Woods Lounge. How about let street artists be street artists??? At least they said "non religious." THANK GOD IN HEAVEN! :)

The DDA should make a trip over to Eastern Market in Detroit and see the wholesalers area where building owners commissioned street art. How it should be done:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eastern+market+murals&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fFm8U6vVOMyoyASP54KABg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=633

How NOT to commission a mural for an urban setting:

estacada_mural1_resized.jpg

The DDA is looking at financially assisting a project by UICA artists to blanket downtown with murals and other street art (working with building owners, not doing it haphazardly). I hope the city embraces this project as it could be really cool if done right.

Any ideas of where you'd like to see murals done? I can think of at least a few areas...

I'd start with the concrete walls on each side of US-131 on the Westside between Fulton & Michigan.  I've said this before, but you could also partition sections to use as venues for Art Prize.

I worry we'll get something that is tied to the area's history and environment like this:

librarymural.1.jpg

Wherefore art thou Banksy?

If downtown fills up with that crap I will commit to never stepping foot there again. Guaranteed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived