Tallahassee Convention Hotel

Florida

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you don't think this building changed to an all white facility with some blue or red neon lights lining it to make it more of an exciting feature?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh. NO! Brick is the archictecture of the area. It looks great. Simply change the brick facade a bit if you want to improve it. Personally, I think it looks fine. Nice Oaks around it, brick...looks fine to me. Neon lights is for Miami...not Tally.

I disagree with the idea that neon lights can't be used to liven up Tallahassee. I've seen beautiful buildings of white brick, highlighted in sometype of blue, white, or red light. I'm seeking some imaging software to show what I mean. But clearly the Civic Center venue isn't exciting enough as an entertainment venue to draw a capacity crowd as evident by many FSU games, former Thunder, Tigershark games, as well as some performances with a great number of empty seats. I feel the center could do more to make people feel more welcome, or at least more to excite them. Surely it could use something.

TaureanJ,

I think that something is the large condos going up downtown (minus the ones I don't like near FSU).

That will bring people. As will the Gaines Street renovation.

What you don't do is kill the look/ambievance/style of an area for a temporary benefit.

The biggest knock on the Civic Center that I have seen consistantly is the inside. I have been told it is bad for music/performance...due to bad sound set up and acoustics. I have also been told it is bad for basketball...the way the seats are and the coldness of it. All inside issues. THAT is where the $$ should be spent.

If I can recall the Authority just spent $13 million to renovate the inside... to me it still looks the same, however, that was all an interior makeover, and yes I agree more needs to be done inside that place besides just throwing up FSU decor.

Speaking of that Restaurant... Spotlight Grille right.... maybe they could do more to attract patrons on a daily basis thereby allowing visitors to become familiar with the venue. And then I said "throwing up FSU decor" I didn't mean it literally, surely the decor was a nice addition, despite the fact that this no longer seems like a community venue (I won't get into that again, although FSU is my school and I love it!). Surely I like the fact that they purchased new sinage... thats a start yes!

Speaking of that Restaurant... Spotlight Grille right.... maybe they could do more to attract patrons on a daily basis thereby allowing visitors to become familiar with the venue. And then I said "throwing up FSU decor" I didn't mean it literally, surely the decor was a nice addition, despite the fact that this no longer seems like a community venue (I won't get into that again, although FSU is my school and I love it!). Surely I like the fact that they purchased new sinage... thats a start yes!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.fsunews.com/vnews/display.v/ART...1/4042784433a69

"We did a study about the Civic Center and 95 percent of the events are initiated by FSU," Carnaghi said. "It's a matter of fairness that we should have more members on the board. Besides me, the other representative from FSU is the president of the student body."

I stand by this. If FSU uses it 95% of the time...and thus pays the bills 95% of the time (if not more). Should TCC really have 30% of the signage? Or Maybe Godby High? Or FAMU?

I really do understand your viewpoint in a vacuum of sorts. But in reality...I don't get it.

Not that 30% should go to TCC, FAMU, or any other special institution. That center was constructed for the use of the entire community and therefore should bare signage that represents the entire community or no sinage at all.

From your perspective I can understand what you mean, however, if all institutions operated off of that notion, a quickshop would likely wear coverings of Marlboro and Budwiser all over as well.

Theren lies your problem. 95% of events are FSU events...you indicate you want more folks to attend events....yet your solution is to have no signage. You think that will increase numbers to FSU events? Of course it won't. And then your problem is your one client is having trouble drawing folks in...and thus you, the community, is having trouble paying the bills.

Your thought process, while one I can understand to a point, is dominant in Tally and why the city as a whole has been a failure when compared to sister cities Austin, Tx, Madison, Wis, Raliegh, Dur. It is so busy trying to be equitable....to a fault, it never gets anywhere....nor do decisions make sense. Like...we want all partners to be equal...so innovation park is run by people from Tally govt (who know nothing about research), TCC (not a research instituion), etc. They were equitable...but it doesn't make sense. Thus Tally gets nowhere.

^ I don't think you're understanding my point here. A commuinity venue is just that, property of the entire community. By decorating that venue, and putting out highly visable signage where one institution is shown dominant lends to the notion that that Venue belongs to that one institution and is therefore no longer a community venue.

Now, say for instance you are Mr. Smith, and you have a lovely wife and son, David. On your mailbox it says, "Smith Residence". Now assume your son grows up and begins to have company over. Although you and your wife also have your friends come over, 95% of the people that visit your home are friends of your son. Do we change the name on the mailbox to "David's house" and decorate it according to David's taste?

^ I don't think you're understanding my point here. A commuinity venue is just that, property of the entire community. By decorating that venue, and putting out highly visable signage where one institution is shown dominant lends to the notion that that Venue belongs to that one institution and is therefore no longer a community venue.

Now, say for instance you are Mr. Smith, and you have a lovely wife and son, David. On your mailbox it says, "Smith Residence". Now assume your son grows up and begins to have company over. Although you and your wife also have your friends come over, 95% of the people that visit your home are friends of your son. Do we change the name on the mailbox to "David's house" and decorate it according to David's taste?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We will have to agree to disagree here because we are at an impass.

^why st. joe? Should the family change the name on the box or no?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I respectfully tried to avoid the argument. But your logic is just weak. You can feel free to believe what you would like. FSU uses the TLCCC 95% of the time. I see no reason for it not to represent FSU likewise.

Doesn't matter if you or I agree or disagree. It is going down whether we like it or not.

With all due respect, I have no problem with FSU control over the Civic Center so long as they keep the community's best interest at heart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they have and will continue to. Putting up FSU signage doesn't contradict that.

Alright, so I've got these renderings of just what might go in the place of the Hotel if it is not built on the proposed site at the civic center.

The FSU Opera-Concert Hall

fsu_performance1.jpg

Honestly... I love the design of the building, Im not crazy about the color, or the metal roof.

Archived