Tallahassee Convention Hotel

Florida

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Back to the convention center hotel...

Here's what I think...

Go ahead and build the performing arts center in the lot of the civic center. This is a grand piece of land and would be logical because both venues are used for entertainment, both would be centrally located downtown, parking could be accomidated with the construction of an underground garage, and Universities and Downtown would be at an equal distance.

Now as far as the hotel is concerned... I say throw this design out. We've got two or three condos going up that look very similar and the last thing we need is a downtown that looks like "AnyCity South FL". Lakelander hit on this eariler with regard to the buildings going up on Kleman Plaza, and I came to the defense of their designs because they will be residential, and the Kleman Plaza Review board has strict design standards, however, there is a piece of property across the street from the civic center that would allow the developer of any hotel to be as creative as they would like without having to match the look of existing structures. They were going to put an Embassy Suites here a while back and then pulled away from the plan because of this Marriott. Whats best is that it is almost directly across from Tallahassee's most modern looking skyscraper, the Education Building. This building's presence challenges any new building to step it up a notch, and do something bold and attractive. I see the height limits being pushed with this site and more importantly, I see room for a better hotel design, and something with a peak on it... to give Tallahassee that "here we come" bigger city look.

Any thoughts?

I agree with you that Big is not always better 100%. But modern fits Tallahassee much better than historic does only because so many of our Historic buildings have already been torn down.

Although Tallahassee is over 150 years old, its a Neo-City. I've got my own thoughts about the "Old South" and I'd rather forget it, especially since we've got Quincy, Monticello, and Havana as perpetual reminders. If Tallahassee is truly to follow in the footsteps of Austin, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Madison we need to be more progressive in our image.

plus alot of college graduates could love to leave this town because it becomes boring beyond clubs and frat parties. a modern image with all the downtown changes that are happening... all we have to do is start conviencing people to stay weather it be jobs or downtown scenery (which i htink convieniently is answered with "both") convencing to stay is easier than conviencing people to come... how do service based industry not find tallahassee to be a perfect HQ? what about wheelbarrel manufacturers?

Yeah with more DT attractions, tally would be one hell of a convention center. all we would need is about 2 annual convention that could fill a center like the one planned, and everyone responsible for these rediculous delays would be so made at themselves. I mean, state capital... 2 universities....

Im also mad about it. This was supossed to be the first new major development downtown, with 19 levels of building propsed it was supossed to take up a good bit of skyline, contribute to the tax base, allow us to draw convention crowds, and enhance our economic development opportunities.

There was an embassy suites slated for the lot directly south of the Civic Center. They put out a sign and everything, their plan called for a 19 story building that had two towers on each end and a nice angle in it... but the City was so busy talking to Marriott the developers of this project saw the favoritism and figured the subsidy Marriott was getting put the Embassy in a bad position, this is why I assume they pulled out of their project. But surely if that property were developed, it would really open up the downtown, as far as it being more visable because we would be removing alot of canopy. Some might cry, but they don't own the land do they?

Now I am in rage! We can't let this go! There is something we can do about this. Can't we like make a pettition or something to make them start working? Can't we propose a meeting with the city? This makes no sense. Surely there is something we the citizens can do about this. This is very serious!

Well one thing we could do is all show up at a commission meeting and speak as Unagendaed speakers. This would get the paper's attention. They may then call a special meeting to discuss the project, this would get the Civic Center Authority on their feet to move on this project. The mayor being chair of the Civic Center Authority would have alot to say Im sure.

• 2 months later...

I knew the Civic Center Marriot Convetion Hotel wasn't dead! In some of the the other threads I posted about how this project is yet alive hearing things from the mayor John Marks suggesting that everything will come through for this project. Well Wednesday a key partner in the Civic Center Marriot Convention Hotel announced that he would be taking a less active role. You read me correctly Tom Strauss taking a less active role. Unfortunately Mr. Strauss has been having serious health problems lately.

Strauss's attorney told authority members the other partners had been urging Strauss to step aside "for some time" because of his health problems.

"We think that this is in the best interest of the project," Rosen said. "I'm very confident that in the next 30 to 60 days, you will see a very different atmosphere."

Tom Strauss's replacement is William A. Meyer who is chairman of Meyer Jabara Hotels which own/operates 26 hotels in 12 states. For more info click this link Strauss no longer hotel leader. This could really help move this project forward. I am very excited about this because there is a possibility of everything going through. I do however wish the best for Tom Strauss and his health, and hope that Bill Meyer can get things done quickly and smoothly.

CityBoy... you were right! :rolleyes: I'm eating my words as we speak, and I must say they taste very good! I'm soooo happy to hear this good news. Yes its unfortunate that Strauss is sick, however, it is great to see the project in the hands of a capable group of developers. I feel more certain now about the future of this project, and I feel as if a prayer has been answered. I was in the process of taking the Marriott Convention Hotel off of my Development wall in my bedroom, but now it will stay.

Meyer Jabara is a great firm, they run nice hotels in Northern States primarily, and a few in Florida. Looks like Tallahassee will be getting its 4-5 Star afterall.

Archived