Tallahassee Convention Hotel

Florida

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what... I really like the idea of having something in place of that Gandolfo's. I remember when it was a Police Substation...

Many people don't know we have that wonderful treasure tucked inbetween those two roads.... that would be a nice welcome center/museum location. It would be attractive and add some unique character to an area that I now percieve to be quite unattractive.

This project my be looking at yet another setback. It appears a deadline to submit a regional impact statement is fast approaching. The developer has a week to submit one for permitting, or the civic center authority could authorize Ron Spencer to do it. If not submitted within a week, developers would have to start entire permitting process over.

I'm confident the permits could be obtained with the Mayor being on the Hotel Committee.

And I think I should add the request to increase number of condos to 96 should be approved so this can move forward.

I think 96 is the number that has been holding this thing up. Heck, if they want to build it, give it to them!

Granted this building would be sitting on property that would be a 100 year lease. This means that if the Hotel doesn't succeed, the Civic Center, would be required to provide electric, plumbing, and other utility services for Condo residents. I'm confident the hotel will be a success.

Honestly... all of the headache surrounding the delay of this project has centered around the number of condo units requested. Authorities have approved 47, Developers want 96... I say meet in the middle, OR give them what they want... it's their money, it's their project.

I know its not that simple... but I'd much rather have a hotel sitting there with 96 units above, than no hotel at all because I was too stuborn to give in.

How bad could it do really... There are alot of people who move throguh this town. SOme will stay. If anything, the condos will provide security for the structures usefullness. The only way i think this kinda project would fail in tallahassee (being this far from saturation or a decline in growth) is if it were so overpriced that even the richies couldnt afford it.

The parking garage deal is more interesting... the ccity should try and keep thier fingers in on the project. The garage would be useful for kleman events and DT GETDOWNs and any other large functions we would have in the area.

They said that in the Paper. But the mayor asked the commission last Wednesday to keep "an open mind" about the project as it progresses. He stated that the Marriott people may need th support of the city in some form or fashion and in saying this he mentioned the parking garage, and some possible contractual issues.

Oh my... let's not get on the Celebrate America at Tom Brown park... I still can't understand how a city with such diversity in leadership (City Manager and Mayor) can allow this to go on year after year.

Having said that... I'd love to actually be able to afford one of the condos atop of the Civic Center.

I honestly think if Tallahassee looked as big as it really is, talking about the Downtown, we could draw more concerts and artist to town who will in turn draw a crowd. I think the city alone is self sufficient, however, we're at a point now where we can really establish ourselves as THE regional hub, not just the hub by default.

disagree TOTALLY on the condos.

Tall BADLY needs decent hotels and there just arent' any on the full service level. This property is very unique and special and it should be reserved for hotel space. I agree with the COT....they should hold firm at the 40 something number of condos....THAT IS A COMPROMISE. The city has compromised enough...the developers have slowed this thing for 8 damn years and consistanly try to change the rules mid game.

This is not to even going in depth on how you can argue there is an overabundance of condos in the Tally pipeline (ie ones coming) so to make the market mistake of allowing rare public land (where a hotel is needed) to become majority condo....big mistake.

If I could have my way this would be a Hotel Only project. But I'm not spending my money to build it, so I'll often side with the developer if the request is reasonable. There are to be 325 Hotel rooms, and 96 condominiums in this massive building... it would be nice if they could build two towers and seperate the two from each other, but it seems as if the design is set.

As far as the pipeline is concerned... we have 700 condominiums in it. Our market analysis said Tallahassee could support over 1500 condo units in the year 2000, I can only imagine our capcaity would have increased since then. Even if it hasn't, 700 is well below 1500 and I personally don't think 50 extra units are going to kill the market. I've heard stories of great Condotel projects around the country, that are very popular and successful. I can't see why this wouldn't work, look at how quickly the little-bitty, over priced Governor's Inn Units sold (disclaimer: They were very cozy).

If they can make it work without the increase in condo units I'm cool with that, but if 96 units is what it takes, I'll support it.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee...on/13024269.htm

An article backing up what I am saying...

"If our Civic Center winds up being the downstairs or next-door neighbor to a tower of condominiums instead of a business partner to a convention center hotel, then the Civic Center Authority will have truly lost its way.

The concept of developing a convention center downtown has been rocking along here for more than a decade, and one developer, Tom Strauss, has had a lock on the opportunity.

No other developers have been at liberty to offer a better plan for a convention hotel as long as Mr. Strauss & Co. have held one of the sweetest and most lopsided real estate contracts ever devised by zealous downtown boosters.

Of course everybody loves a condo project. Certainly here in Tallahassee, where 10 are already in various stages of production and another just announced, condos are to real estate trends what stilettos are to haute couture: a woman can never have too many.

Yet it doesn't seem to get much clearer than this: The Civic Center property was never intended to become a home site for 96 condo owners - say they could be rounded up given the plethora of condos that will be available here in about another two years. One of them overlooking lovely downtown Potbelly's.

For this proposed convention center hotel to depend so direly upon 96 condos that will act as, in effect, the developer's only means of profit, suggests that we need to reconsider whether we need a convention center hotel.

Maybe we do; maybe we don't. Many convention center hotels across the country are struggling; maybe that train has left the station and we were lucky not to be on it.

Good luck to the Civic Center Authority and its justifiably impatient lawyers in unraveling this legal nightmare. May they find a way to liberate the community to either look elsewhere for a developer who can build a convention hotel pure and simple, or else go to court, suffer the financial penalties, and move on.

The mayor just wants a ballroom. The FSU president just wants a parking lot. Maybe scaled-down ambitions are right for our times."

FYI, I think FSU wants more than a parking lot...they need a convention hotel badly (as does FAMU)

Although some good points are made in that piece, it's not an article, its all commentary. One man or womans opinion, like yours and mine being shared here.

I agree with both of you that I'd much rather have a Pure Hotel. However, I don't see how the request to add more condos to a project that already has condos approved is asking too much. The condos needed for this project are being used as leverage to finance the entire project, and while I'm not saying that's the greatest thing, if that's what its going to take to bring us the hotel, that's what its going to take. More than one bank has told them this.

I will say however, I don't think this project will be held up again on this whole battle over condo units... somehow they'll find a way past this and have the building going up in a few months.

what a fortunate option to have... condos for financing. If i could throw a few condos on the roof of my pontiac, it would not be delinquent. But holding up the project furiates me. these things dragging on is inmature. Knowing when to fight is a sign of intelligence. If people live above a venue, wont they support it. Wont they add foot traffic and excitement. wouldnt they be a source of continuous revenue! What the Heck.

what a fortunate option to have... condos for financing. If i could throw a few condos on the roof of my pontiac, it would not be delinquent. But holding up the project furiates me. these things dragging on is inmature. Knowing when to fight is a sign of intelligence. If people live above a venue, wont they support it. Wont they add foot traffic and excitement. wouldnt they be a source of continuous revenue! What the Heck.

Good point... from this I can deduce the thought that people living above this hotel will help it to generate even more business during off-peak seasons. Imagine you've got a big family gathering, you live on the top of this convention hotel... your condo isn't big enough for everyone... where do they stay???

Why... IN A HOTEL!!! And which one??? Surely not the one across town... no... they'll be across the hall or down the elevator! How perfect is that for so many people... especially college students who'se parents may purchase them a condo to live in while in Law School.... talk about a good showing for graduation. They'd be in Hotel Heaven wouldn't have to worry hard about parking for the big ceremony!

Just a thought.... got me all excited over here.

Archived