1818 Church Street | 6 stories | 142 units | Palm Trees

mirydi

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good find. This will be a quality building. Also, apparently Nashville is getting a large influx of Lamborghini's with all this new development.

The can drive those to the payday lender across the street from this project.  

I hope that's not true.  A 20X20 room is 400 feet, which is the approximate size of my living room in my condo.  I can't imagine living in that space only.

When I lived in Chicago, my first apartment was part of a floor in a 3-story 1870s brownstone.  The apartment was a two-bedroom apartment with a living room and an eat-in kitchen.  Total square footage for said 2 bedroom apartment was 600 square feet.  Each bedroom was just large enough for a twin bed, or perhaps bunk beds.  Before I moved into that apartment, the previous occupants were a family of 6.  That kept things in perspective for me. 

I lived in a under 300 sq ft apt in Chicago and it was plenty for me, I don't like a big place.  Plus one whole wall was mostly window which makes it feel unconfined.  Every apt or house I've ever looked at in Nashville has been larger than I wanted.  They just don't do studios here for some reason, though I guess that's changing.

I suppose it's merely a matter of preference, but how much space does one person really need?  Not that there is anything wrong with wanting something elaborate, but some folks, myself included, really only need enough space to prepare a meal, take a shower, store our crap and get comfortable at night.  Anything much larger would just be a hassle to have to maintain for me.   

When I was in grad school I lived in a studio apartment that was 17 x 17, or 289 square feet.  It was big enough for a kitchenette, small kitchen table, a sofa, a double bed, two closets, and a full-sized bathroom.  I actually enjoyed it.  As a grad student I didn't spend much time at home anyway, and such a small apartment meant I didn't ever have to spend much time cleaning it.

IKEA in Atlanta has model set-ups of studio apartments of various sizes, and I'm pretty sure they're all under 500 square feet.  They're really cool, and with some creativity it's actually not that hard to live comfortably in a studio sized apartment.  In addition, since the apartments are too small for dinner parties and socializing, a bunch of studio dwellers should be a boon to the downtown restaurant scene.

I think this is definitely a good thing.

I just bought a 2300 sqft house and I wouldn't mind some more space. I don't see how y'all do it in those small condos.

The key is no children, no large pets and very little extraneous possessions.  You meet your friends primarily outside your home at a bar/restaurant/coffee shop/park.  It's a very urban lifestyle, and is not for everyone.  

The key is no children, no large pets and very little extraneous possessions. You meet your friends primarily outside your home at a bar/restaurant/coffee shop/park. It's a very urban lifestyle, and is not for everyone.

Oh i understand why people do it, I just couldn't these days. Little boy on the way (any day now!) and we wanted to move out to Rockvale for the peace and quiet (until murfreesboro spreads there too). Need a yard for the dogs and man toy storage.

Archived