1818 Church Street | 6 stories | 142 units | Palm Trees

mirydi

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh i understand why people do it, I just couldn't these days. Little boy on the way (any day now!) and we wanted to move out to Rockvale for the peace and quiet (until murfreesboro spreads there too). Need a yard for the dogs and man toy storage.

Congrats on the imminent arrival!

• 4 months later...

Financing to be complete by year's end...construction to be complete by summer of 2016, according to a blurb at the bottom of this article about the Paramount:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/12/15/giarratana-sees-story-paramount-transforming-nashvilles-skyline/20462665/

Financing to be complete by year's end...construction to be complete by summer of 2016, according to a blurb at the bottom of this article about the Paramount:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/12/15/giarratana-sees-story-paramount-transforming-nashvilles-skyline/20462665/

Finished just in time for the HCA Parallon people to move in there and be closer to work!

I know there is a lot of uproar on this site about the reduction in size of this building, and I know many of you are "taller or else" folks, but let's get real. This is a pretty good looking building, despite not being 15 stories. It's no Chrysler Building, but it has some interesting components and it beats the hell out of some other crap we've seen. It replaces a beat up gas station. It's massing fits into the neighborhood and its residential that Church St needs. I personally like it as a 7 (6?) story building. Church St is mostly a 2 lane road. I don't think we should be putting super-high density along it. I personally think that 6-7 floors is very appropriate here. Obviously, there will not be any Palm trees. If there are, they won't last long.

The main gripe I have is not the reduction in size but that it is now likely going to be another cheaply contstructed, stick-framed structure. We already have TONS of those, and thousands more units underway. One of the primary reasons I moved into my building (ParkCentral) is because it is built with concrete and steel.

The main gripe I have is not the reduction in size but that it is now likely going to be another cheaply contstructed, stick-framed structure. We already have TONS of those, and thousands more units underway. One of the primary reasons I moved into my building (ParkCentral) is because it is built with concrete and steel.

Agreed.  Maybe it's just me, but I find the thought of a 140 unit stick frame building to be rather disconcerting.  I'm extremely comfortable with urban living, but if I'm going to share a building with people, I'd prefer for it not to be one that could be at risk if one of those hundreds of people forgets to turn their stove off before leaving for work.  Not to mention the fact that it's simply construction that isn't meant to last all that long. 

Bna,

I agree with you on most things. But as someone who lives in the city in one of the nicer stick frame buildings those concerns are invalid. Modem buildings have many sprinklers and are pretty noise resistant. The loudest thing I hear is when someone's dog gets loose on their way to walk it. But that's part of condo living!

As to longevity, I'd say most of these buildings will last 100 years. They aren't built forever, but then again they cost less to build than say, Element on music row.

That's good to hear a first hand account. It's just not something you see in Chicago that often so I'm just not used to it. I mean I'm sure they're safe or else they wouldn't get built at all, but it's just a thing that kind of weirds me out.

Indeed, Chicago has very different building codes than Nashville.  The city of Chicago placed a ban on wood construction after the Chicago Fire of 1871.  That's why Chicago is so dominated by brick/masonry construction.  Then again, fire equipment in 1871 consisted of horses pulling a tank of water and a bunch of volunteers throwing buckets of water at the flames. A lot of things have changed for the better since then.  Although I would still prefer a nice brick building with some understated design elements than the current fashion for boxy geometrical shapes protruding from the surface of buildings.

That was one of the primary reasons we moved out of Vista Germantown after less than a year. You could hear everything from other units and the whole building was settling causing cracks in walls, doors to get stuck, plumbing issues.

That was one of the primary reasons we moved out of Vista Germantown after less than a year. You could hear everything from other units and the whole building was settling causing cracks in walls, doors to get stuck, plumbing issues

yes this certainly happens in the more poorly built buildings. Size of the building also determines a lot of these issues.

My girlfriend lived in Pine Street Flats until last Spring. While there the building-wide fire alarm system went off during the night ~30 times for various reasons. Last winter the fire sprinkler system--which was not properly insulated--experienced multiple pipe-burst incidents which destroyed roughly 100 units. More than 150 tenants broke their lease to leave. From my girlfriend's unit you could hear the incessant dog barking from 2 floors below. Her unit was flooded twice by the unit above when its tenant overloaded his washing machine. The water seeped down the walls and ceiling and was allowed to mildew by the maintenance staff. Even after all of this the leasing company had the gall to try to increase her rent by over $150. Unbelievable.

Sorry, but most of these apartments buildings are junk. Junk leased at high prices under the guise of "luxury finishings and amenities." They are not built to last; they are built to make a quick buck and flipped to a REIT by a pump-and-dump developer who sells the property management rights to the lowest bidder.

Nashville should expect and demand better.

^^^I will say...I've been in two or three of the "newer" buildings constructed to visit someone.  They look nice on the outside, but inside, it's a different story.  There are a lot of developers throwing stuff up and making a quick buck...and then some who are truly building something nice for the long-term.  If I ever move downtown, I pray I choose the latter.

Archived