Seminole Raceway

Florida

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

contour_map.jpg

Here's a look at an 3D image of the plan taken from the web. From what I can tell the neighborhood is a good distance from the track, which means the noise level shouldn't be much of a problem for area residents. I'd love to see this project go forward, but Im unsure where it currently lies as far as the litigation goes.

It should be a crime for one person to be able to hold up a project like this when it has gone through trial after trial. Developers should be able to seek damages for the loss of time in litigation.

Found this letter on another website discussion board dedicated to this project...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just emailed this letter to her:

Becky Subrahmanyam:

Hello, my name is Michael Bresette, I'm a local resident of Tallahassee and a drag racing enthusiast. I'm emailing you concerning your appeal to opening Seminole Raceway. Your crusade to stop the track from opening is ridiculous; you purchased your house in 1977 when the track was open. Obviously you were well aware you bought a home near a racetrack. Also, if noise pollution is such a problem for you, why did you buy a home next to a highway? On top of this, a highway separates your home from the track providing a buffer from the 'noise', what is the deal?

Miss Subrahmanyam, if your intentions were to fulfill your life with negative attention you have succeeded. Your actions are only delaying the inevitable truth that the track will open. Good day and find a hobby.

Michael Bresette

:rofl:

lol... just found the woman's response

First of all, Becky is not alone in her opposition to the raceway. Many of us are very concerned about the noise, the traffic, the litter, and the potential for drunken behavior and /or driving. Even Larry Campbell has expressed concern about the additional impact on his resources should the track be built because there were constant problems and complaints when the track was open before.

The environmental concerns are real. The problem is that a complete environmental review was not done in the permitting process. When the track was originally built there were no environmental laws, but things have changed to better protect our drinking water, air and soil. There is a lime sink on the property in close proximity to the raceway - lime sinks drain directly into the Floridan Aquifer which is the source of everyone's drinking water - including yours. As we all know, cars put off a lot of oil and gas, and where do you think that goes when it

rains?

At the raceway it would go right into the lime sink and then into the

aquifer. I realize that racing is a popular sport, but a raceway should not be built at the expense of people who have been living in peace and quiet for all these years. If you are so in favor of having a place to race, why don't you build a track in YOUR neighborhood? If you think all of your neighbors would be pleased with that, maybe you could join together in financing such an effort.

Street racing - on the public roads - is illegal. If people are getting injured doing it, they should obey the law and stop it. They should obey the law, period. There could probably be a track somewhere around here, but not in someone's backyard unless, of course, you are willing to donate yours!

Whats funny is the RaceTrack is already there! It wouldn't be a newly built structure, therefore her argument is weak. This is your classic NIMBY case. This whole deal with limestone being beneath the surface... c'mon... we live in Florida! Thats what we have down there. There's no problem with the stormwater runoff from busy HWY 20, but the for the track she makes a point to litigate. Point is, she moved into her trailor when the park was in business, she knew what she was getting when she moved in.

Just for kicks here is another response from the racer to the woman...

Becky Subrahmanyam:

First of all, my name is Michael and not Mike. Secondly, your response is weak. You addressed only one point of mine (highway is a buffer) and left the others at bay. The facts are clear: you made the mistake of moving next to a track. Why should racers pay the price? I find it insulting for you to challenge me to petition my neighbors; I live in an apartment complex in the heart of Tallahassee and not in a rural area. No matter, it's obvious you will continue to fight, so fight on. You will lose.

Michael Bresette

:w00t:

Very interesting, and well-written responses. On a related note, I don't think you'll find a more determined NIMBY than one who lives near an airport, especially one who bought property long after the airport was already established... Then they have the nerve to complain about noise or construction.

• 1 year later...

Once the track is opened your going to see the owner Sue the heck out of this lady to get some of his money back that he has lost b/c the track is not opened. Tally needs this track to open. It will bring some money in to the area. A lot of people from this area(My dad included) leave this area to go drag race in another state.

My father and I would also be interested in attending. Plus this would open the door for more and bigger car shows, thus bringing in more $$$ to local businesses.

This issue has made me reconsider my whole "pro-nimby" stance. I'm in favor of folks speaking up for the quality of life in their communities. I'm not in favor of carpetbagging outsiders moving into a community and imposing their yuppie/buppie sensitivities on folks who didn't want them there in the first place.

In the words of so many native Floridians, "We don't care how you did it up north!"

Fast cars, hot buggy weather, sipping something tasty out of a mason jar? That's what I call a cultural activity.

Drink a lot of water, y'all. It's hot outside.

• 10 months later...

It is sad that it has come to a hault. I think this would bring a lot to the Tallahassee area. Gainsville has several big car show/drag races every year. A lot of money is taken to other areas b/c the drag strip has not opened here.

I know several people. My father and uncle included that go tto Gainsville every year to the Super Chevy Show. They spend several days there in a hotel. I know a couple of guys from Quincy that go and Drag Race during the show. One from Quincy even won the whole thing 2 years ago. It pulls in a very LARGE crowd.

Archived