Norfolk Outlet Mall

likeminded

I think (hope) that there can be enough discussion about this topic to warrant it's own thread.  I know the approval process is moving forward and construction is slated to begin by this fall.  It seems like Norfolk and Virginia Beach will cooperate on at least a portion of the process.  Personally, I see this as a win/win.  I look forward to the shops and it should be an economic boost that that area.  So, to further the discussion, what is the prevailing opinion out there?  Any particular stores you hope to see?  Also, does anyone have any renderings or schematics?

On one hand, anything that's not at Williamsburg would be nice, so that rules out Nike or Polo outlets.

On the other hand, if it keeps me from driving to Williamsburg, I wouldn't mind it either haha. Honestly, though, I think I'd prefer a little variety. I just can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Here's some renderings. http://simoncorpoverview.com/assets/atlas/properties/8063/82/PropertyOverview.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Well this might complicate things. Its great how our region works together in such an outstanding way I wonder where we would be without this regional cooperation oh wait ... (Complete sarcasm if you hadn't realized). But it seems as though Virginia Beach just does not want this to happen or at least delay it as much as possible.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/08/squabble-over-plans-norfolk-outlet-mall-continue

I think a more apt comparison is Pawnee and Eagleton from Parks and Recreation, where Norfolk is Pawnee and VA Beach is Eagleton looking down on us. It really is starting to get petty and ridiculous.

I gotta admit I never really watched Parks and Rec much, but reading the description of Eagleton, I agree...very apt haha.

I also agree that this petty squabbling needs to be handled in private. Just when you thought this area was moving towards the idea of working together..........

Edited by BFG

I agree that the two cities need to cooperate, and they should do their squabbline in private.  But it works both ways.  Norfolk should have reached out to Virginia Beach to bring them on board before announcing this project.  Virginia Beach is right to look at this project closely.  A large portion of their population has to traverse Northampton Boulevard to reach the interstate.  The Northhampton Interchange is already one of the busiest sections of interstate highway in the state, and it can only get worse with this shopping mall.  Virginia Beach owes it to their constiuents to be proactive on this; they cannot just sit back and let Norfolk do whatever they want in this important corridor, just for the sake of "regional cooperation".

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/at-groundbreaking-for-norfolk-premium-outlets-officials-discuss-even-more/article_07a22c07-1a19-5302-a951-1fd1dfbd65b7.html

"In addition to a potential outlet expansion, Simon has another possible commercial project. Norfolk has an adjacent 30 acres from the driving range that could be sold to a joint venture between S.L. Nusbaum and Simon. Silvestri would not provide details but said they’re working on bringing in a “large, unique retailer” for the site that would not be another outlet store."

IKEA?

8 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

I don't know how that area will handle the additional traffic if an IKEA is put in.

I could see the Tide moving past there if they do the eastern route of expansion. Maybe improvements can be made to Miller Store Road?

Would love to have an IKEA in the area though.

17 hours ago, ntheo said:

Wegmans?

When there were some initial renderings of the VB part of the project a few years back, it looked like a Wegman's. And it may still be being as they are not referring to it as "unique to the area" now. An outlet mall and a Wegman's is a big yawn in my book though. I work in nova over the summer and Wegman's is the closest store to where I live but I am not sold on it. It's great but very expensive and overwhelming for my tastes.

21 hours ago, JPN0731 said:

When there were some initial renderings of the VB part of the project a few years back, it looked like a Wegman's. And it may still be being as they are not referring to it as "unique to the area" now. An outlet mall and a Wegman's is a big yawn in my book though. I work in nova over the summer and Wegman's is the closest store to where I live but I am not sold on it. It's great but very expensive and overwhelming for my tastes.

What type of development/retailers would have impressed you?

to throw in my two cents an ikea would be a game-changer for the region. i think the nation is starting realize you cant underestimate this region. we have major league potential and big city pull if we can change the attitudes and mindsets and perceptions and start to really brand our beautiful waterfront area to continue it along the journey toward one of americas most unique and charming regions 

This area is definitely starting to realize its potential. Hopefully Mayor-elect Alexander and Mayor Sessoms will work together more, and eliminate the invisible line that separates Norfolk and VB. I know both mayors like the idea of doing things together, but there's also councilmembers who want to remain separate...case in point, the location of this outlet mall.

As for Ikea, it's a great location, off the Interstate. But, as someone else mentioned, traffic would be even more insane with Ikea. I could be wrong, but that stretch of Northampton is a pain during the day.

I think IKEA is starting to relax the 2 million MSA rule. Jacksonville and Indy are both supposed to get stores and are both similar in population to HR. In fact, I think Jacksonville is actually smaller. 

4 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I don't think IKEA will be choosing that site. They follow pretty strict site selection standards. One of them is that the MSA must have a population of at least 2 million. HR is currently at 1.72 M. Another criteria is that the site must be 25-35 acres, and the additional land which Simon purchased is only 5.4 acres.

Perhaps they could be convinced to bend their self imposed rules as far as population, but they would need more land.

Here is a link to the VP article about IKEA and Hampton Roads.

http://pilotonline.com/business/biz-buzz/so-when-will-ikea-come-to-hampton-roads-rabid-fans/article_951380a7-91c8-5da6-94dc-9a0652928942.html

The site in question is actually 30 acres in size.  It is owned by the city of Norfolk and located in Virginia Beach. The 5.4 acre tract is reserved for future expansion of the outlet mall, not the large retailer.