Norfolk Outlet Mall

likeminded

I'm not too worried, its still new, a bit isolated and has a horrible off-ramp. Christmas will help with getting more traffic there.  I think about the outlet in Williamsburg, it was fairly small for decades then all of a sudden it doubled in size completely full.  Ikea will absolutely help it out and if it doesn't then I'll start worrying.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Shops and restaurants on the outskirts of the outlets are in the works including a Chik-fil-a. I think this is a little close to the one on military but it's a Chik-fil-a so I'm sure it'll do fine. I am interested to see what else is announced for these shops as well as what comes of the plans for the hotel down the street. I'll also get the chance to finally visit home next week to see for myself how the outlets compare to the ones here in Austin(well Round Rock) and Houston.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_f466689e-a420-58c0-8458-dad826184a55.html

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, Urbanlooker said:

Shops and restaurants on the outskirts of the outlets are in the works including a Chik-fil-a. I think this is a little close to the one on military but it's a Chik-fil-a so I'm sure it'll do fine. I am interested to see what else is announced for these shops as well as what comes of the plans for the hotel down the street. I'll also get the chance to finally visit home next week to see for myself how the outlets compare to the ones here in Austin(well Round Rock) and Houston.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_f466689e-a420-58c0-8458-dad826184a55.html

last time I was home, that chik fil a was closed. maybe something was just going on when I was in town?

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2019 at 11:56 PM, Urbanlooker said:

I believe that's Mod Pizza there's a few starting to pop up around the 757 it's basically a chipotle but for pizza where you ask for size and then walk through and say what you want on it. 

You know I think I might have been to one or one like it in Wards Corner.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Okay, for our few remaining  resident commercial real estate experts....and everyone else of course.  

So my question is, if you will remember in the run up to the development of the outlet mall, there was breathless reportage in local media indicating that property owners and the cities of Norfolk and VB, as well as I'm assuming the airport authority, were fielding multiple calls weekly from developers from all over the place re: development/redevelopment opportunities near the airport, proximate to the new outlet mall, etc.  Additionally, we were told that there would be a massive retail/entertainment restaurant development of over 250,000 ft coming from  Simon and SL Nusbaum. CEO of Simon made at least one speech... at the Grand opening no less,  I believe,  wherein he absolutely gushed over the Norfolk Market and his excitement for possible future expansion of the outlets plus the aforesaid partnership with SLN  on the major outparcel at the entrance that used to be part and parcel of Lake Wright golf course.                                                                   

However, as you also may know, just about as soon as the outlets opened, Simon dropped the plans for expansion and also cut ties with SLN re: their partnership on the retail/entertainment/restaurant development project. Without comment if I recall.  I realize that the economy had shifted somewhat in the months leading up to the Mall's opening relative further weakening in bricks and mortar retail.... even in the outlet space/world, but does anyone else find it strange that it "all" collapsed so quickly? And still nothing. Years later!?

Indeed, when you drive through the mall (which I did today...and it looks like a ghost town when you come in off of Northampton ...plus there's trash everywhere) you are immediately struck by those giant, aging black and white signs promoting the aforementioned development. while weeds grow tall and nothing....nothing has been developed  besides a tiny strip mall, a hotel, a Chick fil-a and Mission BBQ. To my knowledge none of those other purported (in the media)  multiple private property owners, City/ public lands and / or airport authority lands have been touched.

Why were the news reports so wrong? What was all the fuss about?

I digress, but it's sort of reminds me of what Chuck Rigney said recently about the alleged myriad  redevelopment inquiries at the oceanfront. Well, call cynical or crazy, but I will believe all of that when I see it!!

Can someone explain why people in power continually blow so much smoke up our arses? 

All smoke, rarely fire.   

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2