Norfolk Outlet Mall

likeminded

2 hours ago, BFG said:

Wish I could've gotten a picture but I was just driving down 264, and they've posted a very tall NORFOLK PREMIUM OUTLETS sign off the interstate. This is getting really exciting!

I will try to get a shot of it tomorrow. I meant to get one all week but been too busy to pull over and take one

• Like 2

Very nice. I'm glad to see the sign ordinances be damned. So sick of these tiny little midget-sized signs everywhere over the past 20 to 30 years. That applies to Virginia Beach, as well. I realize that there was a time in late 80s/early 90s when the old 50s/60s/70s era signs were considered gaudy, too cluttering, or were otherwise in various states of disrepair, etc. However, the highly restrictive sign ordinances resulting from those sentiments likely went too far, and we erred in blanket mandating the ever-shrinking sign, limiting them in graphics, brightness, and ultimately in artistic impact and expression.

I think this signage and the excellent new signage at Waterside District proves that point.  It's time to revisit these silly codes. Norfolk is doing a great job in allowing these businesses to advertise themselves in a tasteful, effective and dramatic manner.

Edited by baobabs727

That huge sign reminds me of the one in Fredericksburg on I95. I usually exit there to fill up with gas or grab a bite. I can't quite remember the name on the sign * but it's iconic. This sign could also be an iconic sign for the mall for folks passing by looking to shop, eat, etc.

*Central Park

Edited by urbanvb

1 hour ago, urbanvb said:

That huge sign reminds me of the one in Fredericksburg on I95. I usually exit there to fill up with gas or grab a bite. I can't quite remember the name on the sign * but it's iconic. This sign could also be an iconic sign for the mall for folks passing by looking to shop, eat, etc.

*Central Park

Ha ha, yes! I have friends in Fredericksburg, and I've been to Central Park many times. That CP sign is pretty huge. Also the Potomac Mills sign comes to mind as far as iconic signs go. 

IMG_9958.JPG

IMG_9959.JPG

Edited by baobabs727

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get from Shore Drive to over near Military Circle today, and decided to use a side street off Northampton Blvd. Traffic was backed up all the way to Diamond Springs Road. I don't think I'll check the place out until after Labor Day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BFG said:

I had to get from Shore Drive to over near Military Circle today, and decided to use a side street off Northampton Blvd. Traffic was backed up all the way to Diamond Springs Road. I don't think I'll check the place out until after Labor Day.

Yeah Im going to let it die down a bit before I try to visit it. Can you imagine how bad the traffic will be when IKEA opens up!

Walked around the outlets today. One thing they should have really done different was the road into the outlets. Two lanes into it turns into one lane and it took a while to get in. Yes, this will die down but not for a while. Anyway, some pics I took:

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (05).jpg

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (04).jpg

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (03).jpg

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (02).jpg

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (01).jpg

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (06).jpg

Norfolk Premium Outlets 2017-07-01 (07).jpg

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 3

I was eating at Nawab yesterday around 12:30 over on Military Highway, and so I decided to swing by the new Outlets to have a look-see. Well, I had to make a U-turn to get out of there before I even got in because the line was backed up almost all the way to Northhampton Blvd.  And it wasn't moving very fast!

On another note, that corner property at the entrance on the left is now being marketed by Thalheimer's Dean Martin. Looking at the property records it looks (and I'm not entirely confident I have the right parcel... but the acreage matches the reported number) like somenody made a cool couple of million dollars pretty quick there on this thing in a short period of time.

• Like 1

I would suggest trying to enter the outlets another way. Try taking the Military Highway exit then turn right onto Miller Store Road. The center actually has an entrance on the "back" facing the airport runway. Upon exiting you can hang a right onto Miller Store and another right on Burton Station, another right and then jump on the interstate. From the Beach try Newtown Road to Baker and then a left onto Northampton. Let the shopping begin. :)

• Like 2

Excellent, thanks! I really wasn't too bummed about it because I  didn't have much time and was just going to take a cursory glance, but I think I'll go that "back way" every time now. I know exactly where that is but didn't have a clue that it now connected to the outlets! 

Edited by baobabs727

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding my post here on 3 July, the details are to be found below for the new ownership group's plans for the Norfolk side of the Outlet entrance on Northampton.

Also an interesting note and potential site plan/sketch included for the 30+ acre Simon/Nussbaum development in VB on the other side of the Simon Outlet Mall entrance along Northampton, across from this smaller development. 

https://www.thalhimer.com/properties/the-shops-at-lake-wright

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/The-Shops-at-Lake-Wright.pdf

IMG_0256.PNG

IMG_0258.PNG

IMG_0259.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So what is going on with the outlets? When they opened during the summer, the stores were half empty with the promise of the rest of the outlet stores opening by the end of the year. Well, Black Friday starts in about 30 hours or so. You would think that the stores that were supposed to open by the end of the year would be open by now in time for holiday shopping. I've never seen an outlet half empty like the one in Norfolk. I haven't been since the first week (I live 10 minutes away) because nothing new has opened. I think maybe two or three new stores has opened during this time. I've tried emails, but got no responses. Anyone have any insight as to what is going on with the outlets?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 11:23 PM, zeppelin14 said:

So what is going on with the outlets? When they opened during the summer, the stores were half empty with the promise of the rest of the outlet stores opening by the end of the year. Well, Black Friday starts in about 30 hours or so. You would think that the stores that were supposed to open by the end of the year would be open by now in time for holiday shopping. I've never seen an outlet half empty like the one in Norfolk. I haven't been since the first week (I live 10 minutes away) because nothing new has opened. I think maybe two or three new stores has opened during this time. I've tried emails, but got no responses. Anyone have any insight as to what is going on with the outlets?

I've been keeping quiet about this. Corresponding with some people. And then today an article comes out. Disturbing. Confusing. Some hope thrown in for good measure.  Contradictions abound.  Corporate obfuscation ? You be the judge. But definitely more questions raised than answers. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/deep-into-the-holiday-season--month-old-norfolk-outlet/article_b1eb95da-5989-59db-a0de-bbb19c144952.html

I’m hoping more stores are indeed on the way. I was at Banana Republic a few weeks ago and they were quite busy with probably 10 people in front of me with 3 cashiers hard at work. I’m looking forward also for more development around including restaurants around the center. Right now it feels like an isolated center of shopping.