Moving to Charlotte with Sealed Air

NYTransplant

NYTransplant..........I spent a long time living in the Greenville area before moving to Charlotte.  First, welcome.  Second, you will love it here.

Fort Mill is a nice area, Baxter is a cool village.  I actually like Springfield in the FM area.  What type of area are you looking to be in.....in town, first ring of suburbs like Southpark, a lake community or the suburbs like Ballantyne, FM or others?

What is in your garage?

As for shopping, take your wife to SouthPark, she will forget anything in Greenville.  My wife never asks to shop in Greenville when we are back in town.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NY Transplant, I do have to ask, if you're wiling to drive from Providence Country Club to west of the airport, why are you not looking in the fantastic (and dare I say "real" neighborhoods) of Myers Park, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Cotswold, Eastover, or Foxcroft?

Actually, Providence a bit far out.  We were just visiting there because a friend's father lives there.  The homes there are nice though.  

Some of the neighborhoods you mentioned look to be pretty urban.  I do want a little bit of land, a large garage and if possible a basement.  I'm not sure any of those neighborhoods would afford me that.

NYTransplant..........I spent a long time living in the Greenville area before moving to Charlotte.  First, welcome.  Second, you will love it here.

Fort Mill is a nice area, Baxter is a cool village.  I actually like Springfield in the FM area.  What type of area are you looking to be in.....in town, first ring of suburbs like Southpark, a lake community or the suburbs like Ballantyne, FM or others?

What is in your garage?

As for shopping, take your wife to SouthPark, she will forget anything in Greenville.  My wife never asks to shop in Greenville when we are back in town.

My wife has been to South Park mall in the past.  She raved about it.  I saw Springfield for the first time today.  That's one we'll check out next visit.  We really liked The Palisades.  The Bear Creek neighborhood in that complex was right in line with what we liked, though the lots were just a little small.  They will be built out by the time we move, but they said they were going to stat another phase in 12-18 months.  We'll keep an eye on that one.

In the garage I have a BMW Z3, BMW Z4, BMW R1100S, Mini Cooper S, and a Toyota Tacoma.  In this picture, the bike and the truck are not in there, but everything fits.

IMG_0271.jpg

I would try Huntersville also on the West side of 77 near the lake.

Points of interest; Birkdale Village, Jetton Park. Some nice neighborhoods east of 77 on Stumptown Rd. & lots of nice hoods west of Stump town.

(485 is a great alternative to 77 as a commute option to the airport area

I'll check into these, 485 is attractive for commuting for sure.

Lots and lots of land in Huntersville, very nice area. You'll find bigger cheaper land and IMO has the best urban amenities in the region. You have grocery stores like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, etc. the Lake is beautiful and fun.

Let us know how your experience with LKN ( Lake Norman - Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson) goes.

Nice garage......the Z cars are great. Check out Cars and Cappuccino on facebook. The group meets The third Sunday of each month (I think). Itis a place for European cars of all years, brands etc....they meet at the Foxcroft Shopping Cnter on Fairview past the Colony intersection. Depending on the month, you will see a lot of 911's, Aston's, BMW....some 2002, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.....

Also, there is a cool Crescent Community in SW Charlotte called The Sanctuary, you may like it. Lots of trails, large lots with some waterfront.

Nice garage......the Z cars are great. Check out Cars and Cappuccino on facebook. The group meets The third Sunday of each month (I think). Itis a place for European cars of all years, brands etc....they meet at the Foxcroft Shopping Cnter on Fairview past the Colony intersection. Depending on the month, you will see a lot of 911's, Aston's, BMW....some 2002, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.....

Also, there is a cool Crescent Community in SW Charlotte called The Sanctuary, you may like it. Lots of trails, large lots with some waterfront.

I haven't heard of Cars & Cappuccino, but found the site of Cars & Coffee while we were there.  Our Cars & Coffee in Greenville attracted 825 cars last month.  It's grown quite large and we keep having to find bigger sites.

I saw information about the Sanctuary, but that looked a bit pricey.  I'll have to look a little deeper into it.

The I-485/I-77 Northbound merge was backed up almost to a stop on a Saturday afternoon.  I can imagine it is a nightmare in rush hour.

I'm not sure I understand exactly where you're talking about -- are you saying 77 Northbound was almost at a stop, at the 485 interchange?  Actually, regardless of where you're talking about, this isn't "normal".  There isn't anywhere on the interstates (77, 85, 485) that routinely get clogged on weekends (other than road construction).  

I'm not sure I understand exactly where you're talking about -- are you saying 77 Northbound was almost at a stop, at the 485 interchange?  Actually, regardless of where you're talking about, this isn't "normal".  There isn't anywhere on the interstates (77, 85, 485) that routinely get clogged on weekends (other than road construction).  

I disagree. I'm on 77 every weekend, and 77-N gets backed up routinely (at least once a month) at Tyvola. I see more wrecks (not fender-benders) on Saturdays as people aren't expecting traffic to be backed up, and there ends up being a lot of brake-slamming. Although I haven't been to the lake in a couple of years, it used to be a nightmare getting to Mooresville between 10 and 2 on Saturday.

I don't travel 485 or 85 often enough to comment.

Use waze or some other traffic-tracking app and you can avoid the unexpected weekend mishaps.

I disagree. I'm on 77 every weekend, and 77-N gets backed up routinely (at least once a month) at Tyvola. I see more wrecks (not fender-benders) on Saturdays as people aren't expecting traffic to be backed up, and there ends up being a lot of brake-slamming. Although I haven't been to the lake in a couple of years, it used to be a nightmare getting to Mooresville between 10 and 2 on Saturday

I don't travel 485 or 85 often enough to comment.

Use waze or some other traffic-tracking app and you can avoid the unexpected weekend mishaps.

Agreed. 77 Northbound from 485 north was at a stop this Saturday. I took 77 to 485 to Old Statesville when I got back from CLT. I just avoid 77 & take the back roads

I disagree. I'm on 77 every weekend, and 77-N gets backed up routinely (at least once a month) at Tyvola.

Okay, it's just a difference in definition.  At least one Saturday a month isn't "routinely" to me.  

My experience is that if any interstate gets backed up on the weekend, it's due to a wreck or rain or something.  Whereas during the week, some areas experience congestion just due to volume.  That's what I was trying to say.  (But I could be wrong --- maybe there is volume-congestion.)

Actually, Providence a bit far out.  We were just visiting there because a friend's father lives there.  The homes there are nice though.  

Some of the neighborhoods you mentioned look to be pretty urban.  I do want a little bit of land, a large garage and if possible a basement.  I'm not sure any of those neighborhoods would afford me that.

The neighborhoods around Southpark are quite far from being urban. You are sure to find a good selection of homes with multicar garages and decent acreage. My parents still live in the area and their neighbor commutes to around the airport or work and can usually do it in 15 minutes since the route is always against traffic.

Yes, it was pure volume, as there was no indication of an accident or stalled vehicle.  As the 485 traffic was merging onto I-77 North, we nearly came to a stop.  It started moving soon after, and was clear all the way to Tyvola Rd.

I agree with Emansius.  Second ring neighborhoods have larger lots than new suburban ones (unless you go to unincorporated areas of Lancaster, Union, Gaston or York counties. SouthPark-area neighborhoods, especially Foxcroft, Town and Country, Providence Park, Cotswold, and Wendover Hills were platted in the 50s and 60s and were in unincorporated Mecklenburg County at the time.  I live in Cotswold (4 miles from uptown, 2 miles from SouthPark, 10 miles from the airport) and the smallest lot on my street is a half acre.  Eastover has huge lots and is immediately adjacent to Myers Park and Elizabeth.  Of course, it's also the highest income zip code in metro Charlotte (third wealthiest in NC), so a house there will set you back a substantial amount. 

Anecdote: Both Jeff Gordon (NASCAR driver) and Bruton Smith (all-around unpleasant man who owns Sonic Automotive and the Charlotte Motor Speedway) live in Foxcroft near SP.  They both have lots of cars in huge garages in their back yards.

I agree with Emansius.  Second ring neighborhoods have larger lots than new suburban ones (unless you go to unincorporated areas of Lancaster, Union, Gaston or York counties. SouthPark-area neighborhoods, especially Foxcroft, Town and Country, Providence Park, Cotswold, and Wendover Hills were platted in the 50s and 60s and were in unincorporated Mecklenburg County at the time.  I live in Cotswold (4 miles from uptown, 2 miles from SouthPark, 10 miles from the airport) and the smallest lot on my street is a half acre.  Eastover has huge lots and is immediately adjacent to Myers Park and Elizabeth.  Of course, it's also the highest income zip code in metro Charlotte (third wealthiest in NC), so a house there will set you back a substantial amount. 

Anecdote: Both Jeff Gordon (NASCAR driver) and Bruton Smith (all-around unpleasant man who owns Sonic Automotive and the Charlotte Motor Speedway) live in Foxcroft near SP.  They both have lots of cars in huge garages in their back yards.

The neighborhoods around Southpark are quite far from being urban. You are sure to find a good selection of homes with multicar garages and decent acreage. My parents still live in the area and their neighbor commutes to around the airport or work and can usually do it in 15 minutes since the route is always against traffic.

Depending on the location of the headquarters, the Southpark area might be an option.  Hopefully, we have a site selected by October.  It would be great to know exactly where I'll be commuting to.

• 2 months later...

Archived