Something coming...

GRDadof3

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never fear planeteers, I hear there is something coming in about a week. Something big...

If I had to guess, I'd say it's MSU related since the RFP's were due today.

I have been made aware of two large projects that have been put together in two unexpected neighborhoods, areas.  One of them should be ready to announce fairly soon.  However, I would not classify either of these as big.  Hmmm.

I have been made aware of two large projects that have been put together in two unexpected neighborhoods, areas.  One of them should be ready to announce fairly soon.  However, I would not classify either of these as big.  Hmmm.

This is for downtown. "Game changer" and "bigger than ArtPrize for downtown" were used by someone who is somewhat of a game-changer him/herself, but he/she said it wasn't his/her story to tell (hiding the gender purposely). Announcement coming next week apparently.

That's a pretty big claim, bigger than ArtPrize.  It'll be interesting to see what it is, as long as it's not a 3rd coming of you-know-who.

Also interested to hear projects for two unexpected neighbourhoods.  I hope one of them is Burton Heights.  Would love to see that area get some attention.

This is for downtown. "Game changer" and "bigger than ArtPrize for downtown" . . . 

Just a wild guess, could it be TubaPrize?  Picture thousands of tuba and sousaphone players from around the world converging on downtown for one big blow-out.   Where's Veloise? 

That's a pretty big claim, bigger than ArtPrize.  It'll be interesting to see what it is, as long as it's not a 3rd coming of you-know-who.

Also interested to hear projects for two unexpected neighbourhoods.  I hope one of them is Burton Heights.  Would love to see that area get some attention.

Tslater, actually there is a lot of focus right now on the intersection of Division and Burton.  Dwelling Place is doing a small LIHTC project there and I know of a few more developers looking to snap up real estate in this general area due to the feeling that this is the next area ripe for redevelopment.

Game changer would need to be something like Wolverine WW, Meijer and Amway relocating to downtown, that would change everything! The increased population would create all kinds of new businesses downtown. I can't wait to hear!

Never fear planeteers, I hear there is something coming in about a week. Something big...

If I had to guess, I'd say it's MSU related since the RFP's were due today.

Why do I still cringe and shudder and think "mystery project"? Thanks Duane Faust, for ruining anticipation of upcoming projects.

Fingers crossed that these announcements will pan out.

Game changer would need to be something like Wolverine WW, Meijer and Amway relocating to downtown, that would change everything! The increased population would create all kinds of new businesses downtown. I can't wait to hear!

It might be a headquarters move, I hadn't thought of that. With all of the money Meijer invested in Walker though recently, I'd be surprised. Wolverine World Wide though has a pretty outdated corporate space in Rockford.

My other thought was more concrete timelines for the whitewater project. Maybe kicking off this year. Who knows!

Is Grand Action still a thing?  With the market now complete what is their next project?

I think they were the ones working on that pedestrian extension of Crescent (roughly) to Monroe?  Perhaps that would be next.

For the game-changer, the whitewater would be such a thing, but I pretty much expect that to happen anyway.  It wouldn't feel like a "new announcement" or anything but rather just progress.  So I hope this refers to something else.

The more I think about this, and who said it, I think it's the development proposals that will come out around the MSU biotech campus. I'm guessing we're going to see some massive mixed use proposals, including large scale retail (grocery store), which conceivably could be considered "game changers." That's my answer Alex!

A grocery store is a "game changer" for downtown? Guess we all have our own definitions. :)

Not to me really but, you know, hyperbole and downtown development kinda go hand in hand.  It would only be a game changer in the sense that some retailer finally felt the residential density downtown was approaching the critical mass necessary to support such an endeavor.  I mean, as far as I'm concerned the whitewater thing gets a yawn and a "that's nice".  Sure it's nice for some folks but does it change the game for a majority of the population?  Oh well, anything that improves downtown, draws visitors downtown, and/or enhances our city's visibility is OK by me.

Not to me really but, you know, hyperbole and downtown development kinda go hand in hand.  It would only be a game changer in the sense that some retailer finally felt the residential density downtown was approaching the critical mass necessary to support such an endeavor.  I mean, as far as I'm concerned the whitewater thing gets a yawn and a "that's nice".  Sure it's nice for some folks but does it change the game for a majority of the population?  Oh well, anything that improves downtown, draws visitors downtown, and/or enhances our city's visibility is OK by me.

I'm kinda with you on that one.   To me game changer would be the size and scope of the MSU campus.  Or MSU taking all that property and opening up Michigan State University-Grand Rapids.  Or one of the giant private companies in the area headquartering downtown.   Also the post office moving and something going in on that corridor, or the rail line running from NO-MO to the arena district ect. 

Archived