elrodvt

Parking minimum's and free parking

5 posts in this topic

So along these lines, I would advocate that high demand neighborhoods like Plaza-Midwood start to meter public parking spaces.  This would put pressure on employees to use mass transit, and neighbors to bike or walk.  Resulting open spaces would be available for South Charlotte tourists to come in and spend their tourism dollars.

As a former PM resident and current South Charlotte tourist, this makes a lot of sense to me.  I'd love to see the city experiment with metered public parking in the area.  Especially if they tried using the variable rate meters that can charge different rates at different locations/days/times.  

For emphasis: I would hope that it would just be a limited-time experiment at first so that they could see how things shake out.  There are a lot of little businesses in there, and they're not all tourist meccas.  Also, you'd want to be really careful to monitor the effect on the residential blocks just outside the business district.

^ The key element of Donald Shoup's plan to restructure parking was to send all the revenue generated from neighborhood parking back to the neighborhood (e.g. streetscape improvements). This helps to reduce local resistance to the change in parking prices.

Residential is ony one block off Central in Plaza-Midwood. And visitors already park and walk from these adjoining blocks. Therefore, metering would likely need to be combined with residential parking permits.