SKYHOUSE NASHVILLE | 25 stories/289' + 7 & 70' | 10,708sqft Retail |

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...

Skyhouse and the related UDO cancellation are on the planning commission's consent agenda for Thursday, which means it will be approved unless someone from the community objects and has it removed.  This could begin very soon, it seems.

Edited by barakat
  • Like 1

Skyhouse and the related UDO cancellation are on the planning commission's consent agenda for Thursday, which means it will be approved unless someone from the community objects and has it removed.  This could begin very soon, it seems.

Is this one on the Council agenda yet for first reading? Depending on where it is in the process, it could get done in the next month or two unless there is a deferral.  I'm not sure how much opposition there would likely be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was concerned when I learned that the garage was going to face the roundabout instead of a building entrance. However the garage is nicely done (for a garage) but still would prefer the building, itself.

SkyhouseGarage_zpsddf491bf.jpg

I know they are trying to show how the building does not dominate the neighborhood in this rendering for purposes of getting a height variance. They should have shown the 'Element' at 19 stories and 190', also.

Skyhouseneighborhood_zps0dece87c.jpg

BTW, I guessed 287', so I was probably the closest. What do I win?

Copied and moved this post from West End forum.

• Like 1

That is a nice parking garage, for a parking garage, and it looks like it has retail at the base, which is nice enough.  This garage really irks me though.  There are some legitimately lovely old buildings being destroyed for this damn garage.  I'm barely...BARELY okay with them being destroyed for The Skyhouse itself (R.I.P. Sub Stop :( )...but a parking garage?!?  Beyond what's being destroyed, imagine what could have been built on that lot instead!  But, Novarre apparently refuses to spend any extra money and time redesigning their cookie-cutter building design to include underground parking or a parking garage base, so the neighborhood suffers. 

To be quite frank, now that I've learned about this parking garage fiasco, I think I'd rather have the existing block of beautiful, old, UNIQUE-TO-NASHVILLE buildings than this run-of-the-mill, highrise equivalent of getting a new McDonald's.  Blocks like this are part of what make living in an urban area interesting and exciting!  If you just wanted generic crap that vaguely resembles an urban environment, one can just move to Ovation in Franklin!  This is one of the last remaining blocks in Nashville that still has the original street wall almost entirely intact.  But we like tall stuff so we let the fact that this is sorta-kinda tall cloud our concept of what really makes a city what it is.  I fear Hillsboro Village and Elliston Place are next.  What will it take for people to give a rip about preserving Nashville itself?  Are the buildings on Broadway the only sacred cow in the city?  People go apesh*t if anyone tries to so much as renovate the Trail West building, but this entire row of structures from the same time period?  'Meh...bulldoze them for parking and a generic highrise that can be found in 15 other cities.'  Obviously, we all have our price.  If this were some game-changing, truly unique project, then hey, I'd be on board.  But this is decidedly NOT that...and what's even more maddening, as has been pointed out before, THEY COULD'VE JUST BOUGHT ONE OF THE COUNTLESS EMPTY LOTS FOR SALE IN THE CITY INSTEAD!!!  It's like developers go out of their way to destroy the very buildings that help to make the neighborhoods they claim to want to be a part of, attractive places to be in the first place!!!!  It's infuriating to me!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...