110 E. Court St / 125 E. Broad St.

gman

The article lacks essential details that would eliminate confusion regarding the proposed building site. The rendering above the article seems to indicate the building will be located across Broad from EP and therefore would not be 125 E. Broad St., however, the article mentions the new building as part of the "North of Broad" district, indicating the building would be located on the same side of Broad Street as EP. Is the site currently occupied by a parking lot on Falls Street, or another building along East Broad Street?

Edited by Skyliner

I don't see that as across Broad Street, but rather behind EP in the SunTrust (?) Parking lot. The Church Street bridge appears to be in the background. Or could be the corner of Falls and Broad, but I doubt the city would grant a demo permit for that historic building. However, you're right that it's not very clear. We will find out next week.

Edited by GvilleSC

Going off the UBJ rendering, it looks like the building is going to go where the Erwin Penland 1 building currently stands at Falls and Broad Street. That's why you don't hear about a connection bridge to it like with the other Erwin Penland building. The drawing vantage point appears to be from the Greenville News side of the intersection. You can see the Erwin Penland 2 building on the far right side of the rendering.

Edited by gman430

Going off the UBJ rendering, it looks like the building is going to go where the Erwin Penland 1 building currently stands at Falls and Broad Street. The drawing vantage point appears to be from the Greenville News side of the intersection. You can see the Erwin Penland 2 building on the far right side of the rendering.

it would be tragic for the city to allow demolition of the historic building currently on that site. It should be incorporated or a new site be found.

Going off the UBJ rendering, it looks like the building is going to go where the Erwin Penland 1 building currently stands at Falls and Broad Street. That's why you don't hear about a connection bridge to it like with the other Erwin Penland building. The drawing vantage point appears to be from the Greenville News side of the intersection. You can see the Erwin Penland 2 building on the far right side of the rendering.

But isn't that the Church St bridge in the distance (in the rendering)?  If so, then that conflicts with your idea.   

If it's in the parking lot of the SunTrust building (which is my take, anyway, from that rendering), SunTrust's current surface lot would disappear - so I'd think the garage would need to accommodate those parkers, too. A lot of them. Last I heard, that building was fully occupied.

The building on the corner of Spring & Broad is historic and culturally significant; no way it's going anywhere.

I'm still puzzled as to the exact location.

699 spaces seems like a lot for 5 floors of offices. Maybe the city is providing the garage with extra spaces for whatever goes on the Greenville News site? Just speculation on my part.

If the building site covers a portion of the Suntrust parking lot, then a larger garage seems reasonable.

I also see no logic in the speculation that EP would attempt to demolish their original building at the corner of Falls and Broad. They're already in need of additional space and would be forced to relocate a significant number of employees and equipment prior to demolition/construction on that corner. The historic nature of that building would also present a notable hurdle.

Edit: I see DowntownCityGirl answered the same questions prior to this reply. This forum hides recent comments from guests (not signed in) and I didn't notice her comment until after my reply had been posted. Pleased to see we agree.

Edited by Skyliner

The corner location is more valuable, more visible/higher profile, a shorter walk to Main.  Its a no brainer they want to demolish the current building there and its not hard moving people around nowadays.  You can even see the white trim around the upper floor windows of the building that is going to be left, not the corner building which doesnt have that white around the top half circles of its windows.  The background shows what looks like the bridge down the street but I think its more likely where the bookend lofts are.  That puts the parking structure exactly where the current EP surface lot is. That building could be a disaster inside and falling apart, unable to be built upon in a way to support the infrastructure needs of having that many people in it, and debatable as historically significant, or significant enough to get in the way of something that overall beneficial to downtown IMHO. 

Hopefully, there's no way the city would let them tear down the historic building, only to replace it with a building that has 3 levels of parking at street level at the corner of Falls & Broad.  Looks to me that the rendering shows the new building in the existing SunTrust parking lot.  It appears to be looking from between the church and SunTrust Building, toward the back of the newer EP building.  The arrangement of the 3 arched windows in the middle of the EP building only appears on the back elevation.  On the side elevations, the arched windows only appear in groups of 2.

I think I see it now, it looks like it will be a third building with parking behind it and that is the Church St overpass in the background.  Everyone wins :-).  calling it 125 E Broad is confusing, looks to have a Falls St address in between the church and their current building on the corner.

Edited by gvegascple

Hopefully, there's no way the city would let them tear down the historic building, only to replace it with a building that has 3 levels of parking at street level at the corner of Falls & Broad. Looks to me that the rendering shows the new building in the existing SunTrust parking lot. It appears to be looking from between the church and SunTrust Building, toward the back of the newer EP building. The arrangement of the 3 arched windows in the middle of the EP building only appears on the back elevation. On the side elevations, the arched windows only appear in groups of 2.

You identified the same detail I noticed while studying the rendering yesterday. The divided "street" at the left of the building confused me until I realized it could be the SunTrust access road (driveway) immediately across Falls/Spring from East Court Street. That would position the building entrance closer to SunTrust than I had originally imagined, and a larger portion of the current parking lot would be covered.

Edited by Skyliner

Hi all,

Good speculation. One of my co-workers and I have been trying to figure out where the supposed building is going to go as well. We're thinking that it's either going between the church and EP1 or the church is going to get demolished/moved. 

Like others said I don't foresee EP1 being torn down. It's a historical building and pretty cool (interior is quite solid and we recently did some 1st floor remodeling).

It's not a marketing hype for sure. :) Joe Erwin has been keeping us employees informed and updated every few months and he's been working on this since 2011 at the earliest! We're growing by leaps and bounds for sure. Both EP1 and EP2 are full and we're on 2 floors of the Suntrust/GHS building now as well. So trying to find one roof for 300+ people can be challenging.

It's exciting to see this and we've not received any confirmations or denials from internal as of yet. All still up in the air.

On a side note there have been surveyors out in the parking lot by the church this week and even today. 

Speculate away! :)

Based on the most recent posts here, I assumed it would be beyond the church (toward the Church St. bridge), or 'deeper into' the Sun Trust garage, not pushed up to Falls St.  Based on the surveyors comment, maybe the parking lot of the church is part of the footprint.

If there were plans to tear down the church, I don't see how that wouldn't have leaked out by now.