Beau Rivage (new apartment tower for Fort Norfolk)

metalman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, It's this.

"Separately, the developers who turned the old Krisp-Pak building on Front Street in Fort Norfolk into loft apartments successfully bid on an old waterfront warehouse in that area and plan to turn it into apartments and develop another apartment building nearby."

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/two-more-norfolk-apartment-projects-works

Good find. Looks like we have another high rise on our plate. I'll have to keep a lookout in design review to see what other details we can find.

Well then, awesome! I just, on a whim googled Norfolk highrise development" to see what would pop up. I like the "sail" design. I hope it comes to fruition unlike all the other cool architectural designs that end up getting watered down. (Fort Nofolk Plaza).

On another note, I was in DT Nashville all last week. It was a cool city. It has some trendy, revitalized areas around downtown that would be like this.

The sailboat design is really cool!

I used to work on WVEC, and I'm guessing it's the area directly across from the back the station, on Front Street. There were vacant warehouses there, which were torn down about 7 years ago. 

FWIW, tearing down the warehouses provided a really nice view on the water. But I always thought a mini-town center development would look nice over there, and compliment DT Norfolk nicely. With the vacant warehouse across from PETA being renovated, the new lofts (former Kris-Pak building) and LRT, there's a lot of potential for Fort Norfolk. Apparently that stretch somehow connects to DT for pedestrians/bikers...something I didn't even realize until recently.

If you look at the picture properties, it is dated:

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:35:59 PM

The pilot article is dated 2-21-2014 and referred specifically to this property. The land on the water used to be owned by the state and required a change in the law before it could get transferred to developers. This happened last year and it's part of the reason you haven't seen movement on any of the properties until now.

If you look at the picture properties, it is dated:

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:35:59 PM

Actually, which image are you referring to? I didn't see a date on the rendering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This project has been updated with a new, more detailed rendering for the low/midrise portion that is to be attached to the highrise. No new renderings for the highrise unfortunately. This project is now under "hospitality" instead of "mixed use" Indicating a hotel of some sorts (though I wouldn't be surprised if apartments are still planned). With all the stuff from EVMS and River Tower a hotel in that location makes a lot of sense. The low rise may also be a disguised parking garage with some office/retail wrapped around it.

Beau Rivage midrise.JPG

Beau Rivage highrise.JPG

I'm getting about 23 floors in this slightly more detailed rendering of the full project.

So these are the same folks that are doing Front Street Flats....

Do we have any confirmation anywhere that this B.R. project is still alive, or could it be that the  design firm just put up a prettier image for their own marketing purposes? 

Remember, this is the same guy who was behind the American Cigar Factory, and we know what happened to that project. F.S. Flats has also been excruciatingly slow. If the Monument  Companies of Richmond had won some of these bids, these projects would've been done. Period. But we've got these local people running around buying stuff they can't digest and then years later things are still vacant.  And in the case of A.C.F.----HISTORY DESTROYED!!

https://www.google.com/amp/pilotonline.com/news/government/local/norfolk-starts-tearing-down-historic-american-cigar-co-building-after/article_5c768403-c228-57d1-b7a5-a02d150d2d9e.amp.html

In the Cigar Factory's defense, wasn't some of the irreversible damage caused by Hurricane Matthew last year? I seem to remember that really throwing a wrench in the plans, hence the pillars trying to hold up the front of the building?

That and I think the building had already deteriorated over the years.

What I was saying was that the deeper-pocketed Monument Companies would've had the financing in place and done the deals and built the damn buildings long before any bad weather or any other excuses for delay could have arisen.

FSF is way behind schedule.  Monument won the bid 4 years ago, but lost it when a judge overturned it. Then they got outbid over 3 1/2 years ago. That is a long time ago.  And had they won, I'm pretty sure given their track record in Richmond that this thing would've been finished by now.

Maybe Andy M. has put in some windows on the lower floors of FSF, but why would it take years to do that?  Obviously, the answer is because the man's been having financial and/or financing issues (Plus a criminal case with ACF!)  Unlike Monument.

Perhaps BR is affiliated with  MGM or Andy or my grandmother, I don't know now. It's all very confusing. However, there are more than enough examples to establish my point relative to Andy, Andy & Monument, & Monument. 

Attention, Outsiders! You are welcome here! Please, start your bidding!

Archived