MAC property near Breton Village

twoshort

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This slipped by on Friday because, oh, it's hard to find any non-AP "news" in the Press these days. :)

It looks like there's a two-story mixed use building next to Fresh Thyme? Set back at a weird angle to Fresh Thyme?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/see_renderings_of_mac_redevelo.html#incart_related_stories

I was at the meeting from 1-5, and left before it was done.  Lots of discussion.  Seems like the developer wants to have a conscious connection between burton and inverness.  The entrances will line up, though inverness will be pedestrian only at that point. Now, whether that means you have to navigate the parking lot in a straight line or there will be a defined walking area, I don't know.

And yes, next to Fresh Thyme is retail down, dwelling up.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes sense considering Meijers investment as well as the lack of competition, I cant understand why Whole Foods and Trader Joes to a less degree are not in the GR market because they have a presence in MI but this looks more like a Sprouts Farmers market that are out west. At least theres also residential development, Id say thats a win too! 

So with Meijer investing in a small grocery chain and putting that test store next to a D&W, Located near East Grand Rapids.  This seems like a move by meijer to test the small grocery market.  With their increased movement into Naturals and organic products on the shelves of the Meijer stores could we be seeing meijer moving to buy Fresh Thyme?  A market like fresh thyme would not work downtown, yet, mainly because their model does not work well with all income types that are present downtown.  I find meijers money here interesting.

Just to clarify, it's not just a smaller version of a large grocery store.  It does 35%+ produce, whereas (according to Fresh Thyme Guy) grocery stores typically do like 5%.  The comment they made was 'this is not a place you come to get shoestrings.'

To indicate it's a test of a small grocery store doesn't seem appropriate.  A different kind of store, which is also smaller, is probably a better description.  There was some indication/mention that it was simply that several Meijer stakeholders are invested in the project.  They don't sit on the board, they don't advise, they just put money into it.  That being said, I too find their investment interesting.

So with Meijer investing in a small grocery chain and putting that test store next to a D&W, Located near East Grand Rapids.  This seems like a move by meijer to test the small grocery market.  With their increased movement into Naturals and organic products on the shelves of the Meijer stores could we be seeing meijer moving to buy Fresh Thyme?  A market like fresh thyme would not work downtown, yet, mainly because their model does not work well with all income types that are present downtown.  I find meijers money here interesting.

What are you getting at?

• 2 weeks later...

They're going to request variance for the coffee shop to have a drive through I believe, and present an update plan with card-access only for the Inverness entrance (townhouse residents only) as well as a reduced number of townhouses and are they are retaining some of the existing berm.

They're going to request variance for the coffee shop to have a drive through I believe, and present an update plan with card-access only for the Inverness entrance (townhouse residents only) as well as a reduced number of townhouses and are they are retaining some of the existing berm.

Here's the latest cache of images.

Site Plan (the pedestrian connectivity looks a lot better than most retail shopping centers, like you could hypothetically walk from building E to the back of the site, even though most people will drive here anyway :) )

15455786300_d2ecfc4435_b.jpg

Phase Plan (essentially it sounds like building E and Fresh Thyme will be the first buildings)

15638679821_63ba5a21f3_b.jpg

Building E

15455376307_0cd300fece_b.jpg

Fresh Thyme:

15617641276_b62bd03bdc_b.jpg

15021309623_e01654383a_b.jpg

15642307642_98582c7a7d_b.jpg

I love the sign on the main entrance. I don't really know why. But I do.

Any idea on how those back lot res properties are going to work? Looks like the garage (?) faces the inside of the development.

The garages face the inside, which will be the backside of building B (which has residential on the 2nd floor) and a screened utility area for Fresh Thyme, while the front of the townhouses face Inverness. As twoshort mentioned, there will be a private access gate for the residential units off of Inverness. I actually think it would be an interesting place to live (or buy one to rent out if they're going condo).

Site Plan (the pedestrian connectivity looks a lot better than most retail shopping centers, like you could hypothetically walk from building E to the back of the site, even though most people will drive here anyway :) )

Agreed.  Way better than Knapp's Crossing, at least.  :)

Not bad at all compared to what it initially looked like it might turn out to be.

Having those front buildings elevated also helps screen the parking from the street far better than if was totally level and just used plants.

The styling of the entrance looks similar to the new additions to Breton Village. Likely the same people were involved in both and it will help provide some visual continuity between both sites.

Anything exciting happen after I left, GRDad? I assume the resolution to rezone passed.

Seemed like. Only some concerns about the size of the sign or whether they needed two on Burton. But it passed. Goes on to the city commission.

Back to you in the studio, twoshort.

• 1 month later...

Archived