MAC property near Breton Village

twoshort

Original Thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116228-the-mac/

Soil testing was done a few weeks ago on the site.  Does that mean something is in the works, or just standard for an development project, might as well do it now?

I merged the two threads. Thanks! I thought there was one already but I swear the search function on here sucks.

I don't think it will be very long before a plan comes forward for this property.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt we'd see a Chick-fil-A there - wrong target demographic (remember that this is very close to EGR, which tends to be more socially liberal and affluent) for their first entry into the region. More likely to see them in Cascade, Grandville, Alpine, etc.

There are many Chick-fil-As in socially liberal areas.  But I agree, I think they would build a standalone either near Woodland, Rivertown, Celebration Cinema, or Kalamazoo Ave off M-6 before they go to this spot.

not to mention Chick-fil-a is awful.  how large is the property?

NO YOU ARE WRONG.  Chick-fil-A is amazing.

There are many Chick-fil-As in socially liberal areas.  But I agree, I think they would build a standalone either near Woodland, Rivertown, Celebration Cinema, or Kalamazoo Ave off M-6 before they go to this spot.

NO YOU ARE WRONG.  Chick-fil-A is amazing.

I must be ordering the wrong thing off the menu.  Every time I go there I end up wondering how they can stay in business.

Almost 8.5 acres.

How about the sq. ft. of the building?  

I must be ordering the wrong thing off the menu.  Every time I go there I end up wondering how they can stay in business.

How about the sq. ft. of the building?  

My very very rough calculations show you can probably get about 125,000 square feet of infill there, using traditional suburban format (or even a more "village" setting).

*Disclaimer, I'm not basing these layouts on anything I've seen or heard or been privy to. Just my own spitballing. ;)

13622651263_bf32ba92d8_b.jpg

13623049944_63eb3ab52d_o.jpg

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Even with the amount of vehicle traffic that Breton/Burton sees, it's still a pedestrian-friendly area: Three bus lines (5, 6, 24), close to EGR residential, bike lanes on Burton (I think - Burton from Plymouth to Breton is scheduled to be rebuilt this year, and I think they're extending the road diet)...

A typical suburban format would be unfortunate. Of course they'll need adequate parking, but hopefully they can design it such that non-motorized visitors aren't treated as second-class customers.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Even with the amount of vehicle traffic that Breton/Burton sees, it's still a pedestrian-friendly area: Three bus lines (5, 6, 24), close to EGR residential, bike lanes on Burton (I think - Burton from Plymouth to Breton is scheduled to be rebuilt this year, and I think they're extending the road diet)...

A typical suburban format would be unfortunate. Of course they'll need adequate parking, but hopefully they can design it such that non-motorized visitors aren't treated as second-class customers.

It's an interesting area of Burton. It's basically pretty suburban feeling as you go between Calvin College and Breton. Which makes sense because technically it was a suburb at one time with most of those homes being built in the 70's and 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbors close to this push for a more suburban look with a lot of landscaping (like the MAC has now), vs something with a lot of mass built out to the street. Maybe there's a happy medium, particularly if it has higher end retail which I venture will be the goal. The demographics and educational attainment levels are pretty good in that area.

For what they paid for it, plus demolition costs, plus land clearing costs, plus construction, it's not going to be a collection of check cashing, gold dealers and cigarette stores.

• 4 months later...

Could be worse. At least they managed to put two building by the street, although I doubt there will be anything fronting it other than tiny windows and useless grass while the entrance will likely front the parking lot.

Anyway it isnt like the area is a budding urban theme park. Everything from this site going west to Breton is a jumbled mess of squat buildings just sitting all over the place with no plan or purpose, wasting a huge amount of space.

So it's a simple example of monkey see, monkey do. But they have an "organic grocery", so most people whom you think would, wont care.

Interesting that they're planning townhouses to front Inverness, but strange that the back of the condos is right up against the store's loading dock.  Hopefully the future residents like not having green space.

Generally speaking, townhouses don't have green space in the back. They're more designed to be oriented toward the front, with big front porches or 2nd floor patios. The ones behind ICCF just have small patios tucked between the townhouse and the garage. Although it is nice to have someplace to take the dog if you have one..

I think this is more a conceptual drawing to show residential there. I think it's a cool idea, rather than have Iverness looking at loading docks and dumpsters. 

Makes sense considering Meijers investment as well as the lack of competition, I cant understand why Whole Foods and Trader Joes to a less degree are not in the GR market because they have a presence in MI but this looks more like a Sprouts Farmers market that are out west. At least theres also residential development, Id say thats a win too! 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/play_city_planner_at_former_mi.html

I like the townhouses where they are too, but I guess it's predictable that the neighborhood wouldn't like the driveway from Inverness.  I think it's reasonable to have the driveway only accessible to the residents of the townhouses, and not the retail; but mainly because I think it sucks the townhouse residents have to share the back with a loading dock.  However, though I know it's not a scaled plan, it doesn't look like there's that much room to play with back there.

Some of the neighbors indicated they'd prefer the current berm over any new housing, which is nuts. Those folks have been taking lessons in planning from SWAN.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/play_city_planner_at_former_mi.html

I like the townhouses where they are too, but I guess it's predictable that the neighborhood wouldn't like the driveway from Inverness.  I think it's reasonable to have the driveway only accessible to the residents of the townhouses, and not the retail; but mainly because I think it sucks the townhouse residents have to share the back with a loading dock.  However, though I know it's not a scaled plan, it doesn't look like there's that much room to play with back there.

Some of the neighbors indicated they'd prefer the current berm over any new housing, which is nuts. Those folks have been taking lessons in planning from SWAN.

Grass berm the whole world!! :)

Archived