Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zalo

Winston-Salem Open

2 posts in this topic

"Big-time tennis and big-name tennis players are nothing new to Winston-Salem. It was Jimmy Connors and Guillermo Vilas at the Tanglewood Invitational in the ’70s; Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and Jim Courier at the Flow Motors Invitational in the ’80s and ’90s; and Andy Roddick, James Blake and the Bryan brothers helping the United States to Davis Cup victories in 2001, 2007 and 2008."

"The Winston-Salem Open is one of 11 professional tournaments at the ATP level in the United States. The others vary from the small resort cities of Indian Wells, Calif.; Delray Beach, Fla.; and Newport, R.I., to such major metropolitan areas as Memphis, Tenn.; Miami; Atlanta; Washington; Cincinnati; and Houston."

"When people ask me if the tournament is going to be here next year, I say yes," Oakes said. "Owning an ATP tournament islike owning an NFL franchise. Now, could the NFL take away the Cleveland Browns from the city of Cleveland? Yes they could, but they wouldn't unless they did something very bad. This tournament is here to stay. We are committed to Winston-Salem. Many of our sponsors are committed through the year 2020, and we have a TV deal in place for a number of years. We are in a good long-term position to be successful for many years to come."

Mark Young, the CEO of ATP Americas and chief legal and media officer, echoed Oakes' sentiments. "The event organizers, led by Don Flow and Bill Oakes, have done a great job in the event's last three years," he said by email. "It is very important for us to maintain a strong foothold in this region (of the country)."

Young said the tournament has received rave reviews from players and fans alike. "The organizers have done a great job of attracting many of the world's best players to compete in Winston-Salem, as well as ensuring that all the players' needs are taken care of," Young said. "The Winston-Salem event is unique on the Tour in that it is set on a college campus. The facilities are state of the art, and with more than 35,000 fans coming through each of the past three years, it has been by terrific to see the event so well received by local fans."

Tennis commentator Patrick McEnroe, who was captain of the three Davis Cup teams to play in Winston-Salem, said he is not surprised that the Winston-Salem Open has been such a success. "Some of my best memories ever in tennis were those Davis Cup matches in Winston-Salem," said McEnroe in a telephone interview. "I know that after we played Spain (in 2007) and the players found out we were going back to Winston-Salem again to play France the next year, the guys were so excited."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/pro_sports/tennis/wsopen/support-in-place-to-keep-open-committed-to-winston-salem/article_9c7a7291-8bf2-59b8-97c5-4c3168476158.html

Edited by zalo

"Confidence isn’t all that David Goffin has going for him right now, but it certainly didn’t hurt him at the Winston-Salem Open on Monday. Goffin,.a 25-year-old Belgian and a qualifier to the Open, maintained his torrid summer pace and upended Jurgen Melzer, the defending champion, 6-3, 6-4 in the first round at Center Court."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/pro_sports/tennis/wsopen/winston-salem-open-defending-champ-ousted/article_b2e4217e-2711-11e4-b0fa-001a4bcf6878.html