dmillsphoto

Thompson Hotel in the Gulch - 12 Stories | 224 Rooms - U/C

90 posts in this topic

Now that's where a hotel in the Gulch belongs!

1 person likes this

Now that's where a hotel in the Gulch belongs!

No doubt. The Gulch is shaping up to be a pretty awesome place that will have some serious density.

Love it! Can't wait for this to get started! 

Another week, another major announcement. Let's keep this up! 

We had heard a good while ago that Thompson was going the brand, but it was not confirmed until the other day. If you look a the cities they are in, then we are in great company. Nashville is the first mid sized city for them.

1 person likes this

Really glad to see that site get developed. I was wondering when that would happen. Great hotel and I love the rendering. Amazing stuff happening.

1 person likes this

As I've said elsewhere, the company we'll be in with this brand is pretty astounding in itself.

1 person likes this

Indeed. We're going to have quite the envious collection of boutique hotels for a city our size with a Virgin, Thompson, Le Meridien, Ace, and 21C Museum Hotel. Do we know which brand will be attached to the Buckingham project yet?

Indeed. We're going to have quite the envious collection of boutique hotels for a city our size with a Virgin, Thompson, Le Meridien, Ace, and 21C Museum Hotel. Do we know which brand will be attached to the Buckingham project yet?

Less than an hour, yes.

^May I be the party pooper and say it's too short ?

My thoughts exactly. Love the overall aesthetic, though!

Indeed. We're going to have quite the envious collection of boutique hotels for a city our size with a Virgin, Thompson, Le Meridien, Ace, and 21C Museum Hotel. 

What's truly exciting is that they will all be brand-new. Visiting a city like NYC, you can't be sure that your "four-star" hotel is really going to be a full four-star experience simply because of the age of some of the properties. It'll be neat to have a city full of brand-new hotels where there really isn't a bad place to stay.

2 people like this

They newly converted and opened Thompson in Chicago is really cool inside and has an awesome restaurant called Nico in the bottom. Really excited for this. Thompson is a good brand 

Kimpton for Buckingham!  :)

As for this project, though I do like the design, and the brand, that are coming to the site, I thought the old design was more interesting and the purpose more appropriate for a plot of land that is, essentially, the very HEART of The Gulch. Honestly, I think, in terms of the neighborhood's overall health, that even little central plaza/sculpture park/gathering area type of place would have been more appropriate to the space than another hotel. I mean, high rises are fun, but it's time things started being built for residents as well as tourists.

ALL that being said, I'm not exactly trying to complain. Haha...it is a nice building with a very nice luxury brand, and it does look like it will have some retail space...so...definitely pleased.

1 person likes this

Looking at the rendering, it appears that there are cars inside the building.

1. It's possible they are supposed to be a reflection from the street, but it doesn't jive.

2. It's a theoretical car showroom.

Granted, I know (at this point), they have no idea what type of retail may be on the ground floor. But, this would be an awesome place for a luxury car showroom. Perhaps a Ferrari dealership? Something that high end, could realistically keep their inventory so small, that they could contain it within a small showroom.

much to parkave's delight!

1 person likes this

1. It's possible they are supposed to be a reflection from the street, but it doesn't jive.

Granted, I know (at this point), they have no idea what type of retail may be on the ground floor. But, this would be an awesome place for a luxury car showroom. Perhaps a Ferrari dealership? Something that high end, could realistically keep their inventory so small, that they could contain it within a small showroom.

TESLA! :drool:

1 person likes this

Those are reflections of the same three cars on the street. You can see the crosswalk reflected in the window as well. 

I really like this design. I think it's an appropriate scale for the site. I like the massing of the gulch and think twelve stories is a good intermediate zone between the low brick buildings across the street, the 20 something floor Icon and the six story-ish Gulch Flats and Velocity. You guys should be flipping out about this thing. It's got a curved side! It's not just another boring box!

4 people like this

I LOVE it. I'm excited about the retail on the ground floor. Wish they had the Gulch when I first moved here. Now, I have a house that is way to big for one person in Green Hills, but I purchased it with the hopes of filling it up with a family one day, which doesn't seem like that is ever going to happen. :sick:

Those are reflections of the same three cars on the street. You can see the crosswalk reflected in the window as well. 

I really like this design. I think it's an appropriate scale for the site. I like the massing of the gulch and think twelve stories is a good intermediate zone between the low brick buildings across the street, the 20 something floor Icon and the six story-ish Gulch Flats and Velocity. You guys should be flipping out about this thing. It's got a curved side! It's not just another boring box!

Love it! And yes, the curved side is what makes it. If only it were possible to continue the curved theme down 11th. Regent Street!

post-29449-0-49200300-1408686381_thumb.j

3 people like this

Grant Hammond on his Facebook page today mentioned several people in Terrazzo and Icon are concerned about losing their views. You live in a dense area, you are going to lose a view.

Grant Hammond on his Facebook page today mentioned several people in Terrazzo and Icon are concerned about losing their views. You live in a dense area, you are going to lose a view.

Edit: forgot what thread I was in. Doesn't it look like the tower is more or less in front of Pine St Flats?

Edited by Leif

Terrazo folks lost most of their downtown view when Icon was built. Only that back corner has dt views, and one of the sides is facing directly at Icon.