Thompson Hotel in the Gulch - 12 Stories | 224 Rooms

dmillsphoto

Terrazo folks lost most of their downtown view when Icon was built. Only that back corner has dt views, and one of the sides is facing directly at Icon.

That's why I don't understand what they would be upset about. Their views of Midtown should be preserved since this hotel is too far to the north to really bother (at least from what I'm picturing in my mind).

Terrazo folks lost most of their downtown view when Icon was built. Only that back corner has dt views, and one of the sides is facing directly at Icon.

Terrazzo was finished after Icon, they never had that view. I can see concern from the midrise of Icon facing 11th but this thing has been rumoured for a while so I'd think anyone real concerned would have sold and/or been made aware by an agent.

Grant Hammond on his Facebook page today mentioned several people in Terrazzo and Icon are concerned about losing their views. You live in a dense area, you are going to lose a view.

And those views aren't guaranteed, which makes me laugh. Look what happened at Twelve Atlantic Station as they tried to sue over The Atlantic blocking part of their views of midtown and downtown Atlanta. The only views that are guaranteed are those in ICON facing downtown  directly because of the rail yard and Cummins Station.

Lots of hotels, but Nashville has been underserved in hotels for a very long time.  With the city's new convention center and the boom its experiencing, it's not surprising to see both pent up and anticipated demand in the efforts to catch up.  I don't mind hotels, as they bring more people to an area and help other service businesses and bring out-of-town  $$.

Edited by MLBrumby

The other thing I like about the design is they lowered the height on the 12th side so that the transition from the hotel to 404 and Station Inn isn't an abrupt 10 stories to 1 story. That would diminish the presence of those two fine establishments and have something of the same effect as Ms. Ford's studio suffocated by 1505 Demonbreun.

That second story terrace over the intersection has the potential to be the primo outdoor venue in the city.

Understand some of you have reservations, but it's working for me!

Edited by CenterHill

• 4 weeks later...

That second story terrace over the intersection has the potential to be the primo outdoor venue in the city.

Agree the second story terrace has great potential, but the roof deck possibilities excite me even more (see http://www.thompsonhotels.com/hotels/thompson-toronto/eat-and-drink/rooftop-lounge).    

The Thompson Toronto actually shares several characteristics of the proposed Gulch Thompson, especially the location in a formerly industrial neighborhood that's equal parts residential, retail, and F&B, yet outside the main core of the downtown CBD.  The Toronto hotel has a roof with killer views, a pool, terraces for suites, and a nightclub.  It also has a basement nightclub leased to a third party operator.  It will be interesting to see if a similar feature is included here.  Toronto's Thompson also has a late night dining option that's very popular with the post-club crowd (also leased to a third party operator IIRC).  With all the recent controversy around the SoBro diner project, that may get less play in Nashville, though I believe more late night dining options that don't require a drive through are sorely needed.

Regardless, it's an excellent brand addition to the Gulch, giving the neighborhood more cachet than it has ever had.  The fact that some heavy hitters like AJ (strong players in luxury hospitality private equity) and Berger (well-known for their numerous hotel projects in New Orleans, both new construction and office conversion) are involved makes me that much more excited.  

Edited by RonCamp
  • Like 3

This is probably my favorite project that's about to get underway. The brand is impeccable and has a solid reputation in customer satisfaction and product delivered. Looking forward to more renders hopefully coming out soon. 

Looking forward to it as well. If I make a transition back to hospitality in the next few years, I would look at this property.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Is the building behind the black portion of 404 part of 404?  The taller portion made of stone / concrete / or whatever material that is?

That's correct. The front portion was added to the pre-existing cinderblock building.

Edited by gannman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the contractor:

J.E. Dunn is soon to begin concrete placement at the Thompson Hotel project located at 401 11th Avenue South. Currently, our schedule dictates commencement of concrete placement in mid- May, 2015, and a “top-out” milestone late in October, 2015. It is estimated that we’ll place upwards of 10,500 cubic yards of concrete over the course of the next six months.

In an effort to mitigate traffic and congestion resulting from the staging of concrete pump and trucks at 11th and 12th avenue, much of this work will be performed in the evening and in accordance with the following routine:

Mid-May to August, 2015 (1-2 pours per week):

• 1am – Pump staging & barricades

• 2am – Commence placement of concrete

• 6am – Pour-out

• 7am – All clear

August to mid-October (1-2 pours per week):

• Concrete pump will be permanently placed on Pine Street (directly behind Station Inn)

• 2am – Commence placement of concrete

• 6am – Pour-out

• 7am – All clear

Of course, the above routine is subject to slight modification and contingent upon weather, quantity of concrete to be placed, traffic patterns, etc.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...