Thompson Hotel in the Gulch - 12 Stories | 224 Rooms

dmillsphoto

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

Not as well as you do at that "other" hotel. :huh:

I do think they could use a bit more tint, but it's amazing how much better this one looks.  I guess it's stylish right now to have almost clear glass, however bad an idea that might seem.  A lot of interiors nowadays seem overbright and lacking color, as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I do think they could use a bit more tint, but it's amazing how much better this one looks.  I guess it's stylish right now to have almost clear glass, however bad an idea that might seem.  A lot of interiors nowadays seem overbright and lacking color, as well.

At least the Thompson has reflective glass...so you're not going to see the curtains nearly as easy as the Westin.  The Westin is just slightly tinted with no reflective glass...as far as I can tell.

I shopped at that "City Target" two summers ago, and I have to admit that it's got that "uptown" feeling. (you think?)  It's located at San Francisco's AMC "Metreon" shopping center located over the northwest corner of the famous Moscone Convention Center, specifically at the corner of 4th and Mission.

As nashvillwill's photo shows, the outside is conferred a rather complex appearance, made "busier" by the confluence of two major trolley-coach (trolley-bus) route lines of overhead dual electric power pickup wires that allow for turns at the intersection (the electric spider web).  With all the visual distractions, it really can be a slight challenge for newcomers trying to focus on their intended "target".

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Rookie,

My wife's office was directly across the street from this. Her office window had an almost exact view as the photos posted above. Some days, if she were working later than me, I would ride BART into the city from Fremont (transferring from my Berkeley bound Richmond train), store my bike in one of the awesome bike lockers at Powell St. station (only $0.02/hour for total bike safety!) and meet her at the bar that is at this street corner (which was under her office and the exact perspective of this photo). Some days we would shop at this City Target for supplies, some days we would catch a movie at the AMC. Other days we would eagerly train out of the city as quickly as possible and find peace in the fact that we loved our home in the more peaceful Berkeley. Try to catch the sunset over the Golden Gate from our apartment window. Feel the cool bay breeze blowing in our top floor bedroom window. I sure miss that. 

Anyways, that target was awesome. I really think Nashville could use one of those. Especially within walking distance of the gulch. Even better if it were sandwiched in between the gulch/midtown/music row area, where it is walkable form many people. And it would be sure to be a hit of it had highway access as well. I can think of a certain car dealership that would be the prime location.

side note, just a few blocks from there was a very urban Walgreens. It was the nicest Walgreens I've ever been to and a haven for people on foot to grab a quick beverage, a fresh snack, or small necessities. It was one of the most high traffic storefronts in all of S.F.'s shopping district. When the whole downtown Nashville debacle about Walgreens happened, that is what I envisioned, and I was very excited about it. I saw how much of a benefit it would have been to lower Broadway. Unfortunately, those in charge only had their tunnel vision to see your typical suburban Walgreens, and therefore fought it to the death. Status quo lack of vision on the part of our council. 

Rookzie; Two summers ago, we could have been standing in that Target checkout line together and never have even know it. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

Rookie,

My wife's office was directly across the street from this. Her office window had an almost exact view as the photos posted above. Some days, if she were working later than me, I would ride BART into the city from Fremont (transferring from my Berkeley bound Richmond train), store my bike in one of the awesome bike lockers at Powell St. station (only $0.02/hour for total bike safety!) and meet her at the bar that is at this street corner (which was under her office and the exact perspective of this photo). Some days we would shop at this City Target for supplies, some days we would catch a movie at the AMC. Other days we would eagerly train out of the city as quickly as possible and find peace in the fact that we loved our home in the more peaceful Berkeley. Try to catch the sunset over the Golden Gate from our apartment window. Feel the cool bay breeze blowing in our top floor bedroom window. I sure miss that. 

Anyways, that target was awesome. I really think Nashville could use one of those. Especially within walking distance of the gulch. Even better if it were sandwiched in between the gulch/midtown/music row area, where it is walkable form many people. And it would be sure to be a hit of it had highway access as well. I can think of a certain car dealership that would be the prime location.

side note, just a few blocks from there was a very urban Walgreens. It was the nicest Walgreens I've ever been to and a haven for people on foot to grab a quick beverage, a fresh snack, or small necessities. It was one of the most high traffic storefronts in all of S.F.'s shopping district. When the whole downtown Nashville debacle about Walgreens happened, that is what I envisioned, and I was very excited about it. I saw how much of a benefit it would have been to lower Broadway. Unfortunately, those in charge only had their tunnel vision to see your typical suburban Walgreens, and therefore fought it to the death. Status quo lack of vision on the part of our council. 

Rookzie; Two summers ago, we could have been standing in that Target checkout line together and never have even know it. 

Come to think of it, the mainstream "newish" Walgreen's at the base of Chicago's Wrigley Bldg., which I first visited in 2014, was the very reason I myself got a bit sore and expressed my ruminating thoughts and disgust on that same issue here on Lower Broad.  I think I ended up running into 4 Walgreen's within a relatively short range of this Target ─ all within the triangular walking area circumscribed by Market, Powell, and Geary Streets.  I made a point to purposely shop in each of them in a 3-day span.   I had shopped at the one on Powell (between O'Farrell and Ellis) 15 years ago (just over 2 months prior to the 911 attacks), and even back then I had been impressed with how seamlessly it conformed to the environment.  And each of these has been updated to have excellent provisions and appearance, without having sacrificed the integrity of any existing historic structure.  This what P!s$ed me off (and continues to do so) about Nashville.

• 1 month later...