Thompson Hotel in the Gulch - 12 Stories | 224 Rooms

dmillsphoto

^May I be the party pooper and say it's too short ?

My thoughts exactly. Love the overall aesthetic, though!

Indeed. We're going to have quite the envious collection of boutique hotels for a city our size with a Virgin, Thompson, Le Meridien, Ace, and 21C Museum Hotel. 

What's truly exciting is that they will all be brand-new. Visiting a city like NYC, you can't be sure that your "four-star" hotel is really going to be a full four-star experience simply because of the age of some of the properties. It'll be neat to have a city full of brand-new hotels where there really isn't a bad place to stay.

• Like 2

Indeed. We're going to have quite the envious collection of boutique hotels for a city our size with a Virgin, Thompson, Le Meridien, Ace, and 21C Museum Hotel. Do we know which brand will be attached to the Buckingham project yet?

Kimpton for Buckingham!  :)

As for this project, though I do like the design, and the brand, that are coming to the site, I thought the old design was more interesting and the purpose more appropriate for a plot of land that is, essentially, the very HEART of The Gulch. Honestly, I think, in terms of the neighborhood's overall health, that even little central plaza/sculpture park/gathering area type of place would have been more appropriate to the space than another hotel. I mean, high rises are fun, but it's time things started being built for residents as well as tourists.

ALL that being said, I'm not exactly trying to complain. Haha...it is a nice building with a very nice luxury brand, and it does look like it will have some retail space...so...definitely pleased.

• Like 1

Looking at the rendering, it appears that there are cars inside the building.

1. It's possible they are supposed to be a reflection from the street, but it doesn't jive.

2. It's a theoretical car showroom.

Granted, I know (at this point), they have no idea what type of retail may be on the ground floor. But, this would be an awesome place for a luxury car showroom. Perhaps a Ferrari dealership? Something that high end, could realistically keep their inventory so small, that they could contain it within a small showroom.

1. It's possible they are supposed to be a reflection from the street, but it doesn't jive.

Granted, I know (at this point), they have no idea what type of retail may be on the ground floor. But, this would be an awesome place for a luxury car showroom. Perhaps a Ferrari dealership? Something that high end, could realistically keep their inventory so small, that they could contain it within a small showroom.

TESLA! :drool:

• Like 1

Those are reflections of the same three cars on the street. You can see the crosswalk reflected in the window as well. 

I really like this design. I think it's an appropriate scale for the site. I like the massing of the gulch and think twelve stories is a good intermediate zone between the low brick buildings across the street, the 20 something floor Icon and the six story-ish Gulch Flats and Velocity. You guys should be flipping out about this thing. It's got a curved side! It's not just another boring box!

• Like 4

Those are reflections of the same three cars on the street. You can see the crosswalk reflected in the window as well. 

I really like this design. I think it's an appropriate scale for the site. I like the massing of the gulch and think twelve stories is a good intermediate zone between the low brick buildings across the street, the 20 something floor Icon and the six story-ish Gulch Flats and Velocity. You guys should be flipping out about this thing. It's got a curved side! It's not just another boring box!

Love it! And yes, the curved side is what makes it. If only it were possible to continue the curved theme down 11th. Regent Street!

post-29449-0-49200300-1408686381_thumb.j

• Like 3

Grant Hammond on his Facebook page today mentioned several people in Terrazzo and Icon are concerned about losing their views. You live in a dense area, you are going to lose a view.

Edit: forgot what thread I was in. Doesn't it look like the tower is more or less in front of Pine St Flats?

Edited by Leif

Grant Hammond on his Facebook page today mentioned several people in Terrazzo and Icon are concerned about losing their views. You live in a dense area, you are going to lose a view.

Terrazo folks lost most of their downtown view when Icon was built. Only that back corner has dt views, and one of the sides is facing directly at Icon.