UP Forum Meetups

2014 September Forum Meetup  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Next meet up is Thursday, July 2 at 8:00pm at Birdsong. Coming?

• Yay
    • Nay

• 3 weeks later...

Next meetup maybe August 21 and what do you think of Old Armour Brewing in downtown Kannapolis?  There is an adjacent Sabor Latin Grill and I know you can bring food over as I have seen plenty of people do it to their outside dining or their new side beer garden.  Ample free parking and local Amtrak service for those who want to come by train.  It would give some of you a look at a rapidly changing ring city of Charlotte and how their downtown is being rebuilt from scratch.  I think many of you will be quite impressed and surprised.  

Old Armor Beer Company

Northbound Charlotte to Kannapolis

Departs Charlotte:  10:30 a.m. - Train: #74 Piedmont - Route: Charlotte to Raleigh, or 

Departs Charlotte:  3:15 p.m.  -  Train:  #76 Piedmont - Route: Charlotte to Raleigh

Southbound Kannapolis to Charlotte

Departs K-Town:  5:39 p.m. - Train: #77 Piedmont - Route: Raleigh to Charlotte, or

Departs K-Town:  8:24 p.m. - Train: #79 Carolinian - Route:  New York to Charlotte

I will even conduct a walking tour of the new downtown Kannapolis historical renovations of theaters, new ballpark, new apartments, new pedestrian mall, local shops etc.

So let me know you think. about 30 minutes from uptown charlotte or 27 miles.

Bring your bike and come early and explore. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 12:08 PM, KJHburg said:

Next meetup Saturday August 21 at 4 pm  at Old Armour Brewing in downtown Kannapolis.  There is an adjacent Sabor Latin Grill and I know you can bring food over as I have seen plenty of people do it to their outside dining or their new side beer garden.  Ample free parking and local Amtrak service for those who want to come by train.  It would give some of you a look at a rapidly changing ring city of Charlotte and how their downtown is being rebuilt from scratch.  I think many of you will be quite impressed and surprised.   I would be happy to give a walking tour of downtown and what is going on which is a lot.

Old Armor Beer Company

Reminder and I think it is supposed to be a lot drier next weekend and they have a large outdoor seating area in front of and on the side of the Brewery next to the brand new 5 story Vida apartments with their free parking garage. 

• Like 3

if you are looking at West A street in downtown Kannapolis on Google or Bing maps in the streetview format they  are from at least 4-5 years ago so it will look nothing like that.  

Old Armor Beer Company
oldarmorbeer.net
211 West Ave, Kannapolis, NC 28081

Be prepared to be surprised and we will be outside unless it is raining.  4 pm saturday. 

Here is a KJ streetview of the brewery from June.  1st and 2nd and 3rd photos.   Next to new 5 story apartment building.   Aerial google map is more recent but the streetview no where near matches the look of today. 

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_9175.JPG

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9180.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Great to see new retailers opening up in the recently unfitted store fronts on Main Street.  For those who got together in downtown Kannapolis today, hopefully you got to take in the new core of the city.!

https://www.facebook.com/Kannapolisretailventures/photos/pcb.351920979930017/351920896596692/

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

UP meetup 4 pm this Saturday at the Trolley Barn at Atherton and learn about things like this (more than likely on the upper level patio)  :

Riverside 3 tower project Fact or Pipedream?

Forest of high rise apartment towers?

3 new uptown towers?  

I might actually show to this one for ten minutes! I can walk... but I have dinner plans after, so it won't be for long. 

• Like 2