Main Street Sidewalks

gvegas12

Given that the city is in the process of re-paving Main Street, does anyone else think it's time to reconsider the Halprin paving plan for the sidewalks? The square pattern looked great when it was first completed and uniform, but with so many patched areas and places where it is cut differently, I feel like it is time to reconsider the whole thing. The area in front of Poinsett Plaza and TD Bank looks awful, as well as plenty of other areas. I also see women getting their heels stuck in the lines all the time, which may be reason enough for a change.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it to another thread, but I'd love to hear what others think.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the downsides of all the construction that is happening on Main is that the infrastructure must be updated regularly. Add the fact that Main is going through tree substitution plan. These lead to the constant patching.

But it would be none different with any other sidewalk design. They also would be patched regularly due to new construction/infrastructure.

Also, what design would replace it? What design would look right?

Greenville's sidewalks are pretty good compared to other downtowns of similar size. They either do not have a design (just bare, boring concrete), having broken concrete everywhere, or they use brick (which often breaks itself). 

Unfortunately, I do not have an alternative solution (that's one of the reasons I posted here, hoping someone else might!). Pavers seem to look the best both in Greenville and other downtowns, but I understand they are much more expensive than the current concrete. I guess I just wish there was more consistency, because with everything being so manicured downtown, the patches stand out in a negative way.

Obviously infrastructure needs require digging up and replacing the sidewalks, but I have to imagine there is a better way to patch those areas than how the city is currently doing it.

Unfortunately, I do not have an alternative solution (that's one of the reasons I posted here, hoping someone else might!). Pavers seem to look the best both in Greenville and other downtowns, but I understand they are much more expensive than the current concrete. I guess I just wish there was more consistency, because with everything being so manicured downtown, the patches stand out in a negative way.

Obviously infrastructure needs require digging up and replacing the sidewalks, but I have to imagine there is a better way to patch those areas than how the city is currently doing it.

Well they could replace the entire section of concrete each time, however, that would be costly.

Archived