Proposed Projects / Current Projects Underway 2017

TheLonesomeHobo

I haven't done one of these in a while, but here's some photo updates from today: 

Fulton West, looking East. 

24468400363_f8d825e921_b.jpg

The townhouse portion of Fulton West:

25068945436_5d93217705_b.jpg

25001964261_4c16bdca12_b.jpg

Staying on the West Side. The Alabama Avenue project. I remember when friends of ours watched the fireworks from the roof of that old warehouse (that used to be owned by Hyatt) and the roof almost caved in under them. Good times.

25001965881_9027905855_b.jpg

Gentrification!!! Cover your eyes kids!!

25095288355_0742f422cf_b.jpg

Heading East. GO GREEN!! #MSU

24977116002_319cdc59cc_b.jpg

North, to Belknap. Gateway project. 

25001969921_88aeed3f30_b.jpg

25001968201_3da6b1352f_b.jpg

And RJG? I can't remember what this one is called. 

25068949846_c253bc16c6_b.jpg

And South back to Michigan Street.

25001973081_596400c4ab_b.jpg

24464587414_4c171bb170_b.jpg

25068954746_21fced443e_b.jpg

And lastly, Midtown, One Carlton Place.

25068957586_209f4bbb64_b.jpg

I sure wish someone would do a condo project with me. I think the timing is perfect. 

• Like 2

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Proposed Projects / Current Projects Underway 2016
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure where to put this, so let's just call it "Return from the Dead."  

MHSDA approved ICCF plan for 501 Eastern Ave: two four-story buildings, 65 apartments for affordable housing, including units for homeless youth. MLive reports http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/01/affordable_housing_projects_ge.html

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, crinzema said:

Does anyone have the knowledge of where all the construction projects that are underway? List of Addresses? I want to work on a project to visually show them all in an interesting and engaging way. 

There's this great forum called UrbanPlanet where all of the projects are talked about, including addresses, renderings, etc.. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crinzema said:

Understood, lol, but is there an updated post? The last one with a list of addresses was from 2014. I think it's 2017 now. I need an update, and I'm not one to say I'm completely in the know, with regard to where all these construction projects are. 

It's all here on UP. It's a big undertaking putting together a list like that. And people at the city and DGRI get paid for doing shit like that. Nobody here does. :)

In fact, that's a good idea. Check with Kara Wood at the Economic Development office, or Suzanne Schulz at planning. They're probably going to want to know what scope of project you want (size), because they probably have close to a thousand projects of various size in their databases. Pretty sure the Economic Development office puts out a report of every project that received some kind of financial incentive or used a city program, or is proposed. 

Good luck. Let us know when it's finished. 

New "affordable" apartments somewhere on the northwest side.  http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/50_affordable_apartments_propo.html

Not to point out the obvious, but the cost of these things is $200,000 each.  Who is sucking up all the gravy in these projects?  It's possible to develop an entire subdivision of modest single family homes for that much or less.  Wow.

16 hours ago, x99 said:

New "affordable" apartments somewhere on the northwest side.  http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/50_affordable_apartments_propo.html

Not to point out the obvious, but the cost of these things is $200,000 each.  Who is sucking up all the gravy in these projects?  It's possible to develop an entire subdivision of modest single family homes for that much or less.  Wow.

Also, they're hideous and not mixed in with market rate apartments. The proximity to Family Pantry and other liquor stores is telling. Destined to be a craphole in five years. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Here's a nice little packet of sorts. We know most all of these things already but it is interesting to get a refresher as well as see a few minor updates; check out Warner Tower. 

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/Documents/2016-17 Development Projects FINAL 1000am.pdf

I like it! Black and blue.

58d2fca2d8b86_WarnerTower.thumb.PNG.d91d23ec732df5ebde587184180e62f4.PNG

• Like 1

I like it as well. The Leonard/alpine Development from third coast looks a lot better in this packet. 

Strange. I see a lot of photos in this document swiped from UP with no photo creds. Hmmmm. 

Joe

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Whoa, there's a bunch of my images in there. When the city puts something on their public site, that becomes public property. But my intellectual property is not free for them to use carte-blanche. <_< That door don't swing both ways.

Especially GRDad's paintbrush mock ups. Those are one of a kind! :) with mad skills like those, you'll probably be famous (but only after you die, sorry). ;)

Joe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Whoa, there's a bunch of my images in there. When the city puts something on their public site, that becomes public property. But my intellectual property is not free for them to use carte-blanche. <_< That door don't swing both ways.

Yes, but didn't you take the satellite image from Google? :P

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Proposed Projects / Current Projects Underway 2017

The Biz Journal has come out with an interactive map showing a lot of the development projects underway. The interface of the map is a bit weird but you can just do a slideshow. Nothing new that we haven't seen before but I'm stunned at the number of affordable housing projects underway.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/87583-construction-projects-flow-into-grand-rapids

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Biz Journal has come out with an interactive map showing a lot of the development projects underway. The interface of the map is a bit weird but you can just do a slideshow. Nothing new that we haven't seen before but I'm stunned at the number of affordable housing projects underway.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/87583-construction-projects-flow-into-grand-rapids

Add to this (eventually) 201 Market - which plans are due to the city today. Crossing fingers we'll at least get some images to imagine over. haha. 

• 2 months later...