Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demon

Why even have that button @ pedestrian crosswalks?

5 posts in this topic

Every morning I ride my bike up Rosalind to work in College Park. Every morning I hit the button @ South St because it's become habit. I can tell you from going to work over 200 days a year hitting that button will not change how long the light stays green in any direction. 

If they don't actually help pedestrians move through the city, why bother having them? Is there some bigger picture I'm not seeing?

1 person likes this

The button for peds in front of Howard Middle is the only one downtown that seems to actually do anything *sigh*.

The button for peds in front of Howard Middle is the only one downtown that seems to actually do anything *sigh*.

It makes sense that they don't want kids hit, but if it can work there, why can't it work anywhere else?

I'm not sure, but some may only be active at certain times (late at night) or only prevent the signal from skipping a direction when no vehicles are present, which may not happen much during the day. There is also a signal near me that the buttons only cause any special effect during the school zone times.

Edited by aent