>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!!!!  Downtown was active Saturday night! The joint was jumping. Nobody mentioned on this board that AS220 was having a block party. Loads of people!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had SUCH a great time at 20Fest! As220 was a little more spacious, but the renovations are far from complete. I particularly liked the construction lights. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Francis St will be one-way today, from Smith St down to the mall due to contruction. Wonder what there doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They keep blocking it off almost every other day... one time for Brotherhood filming and other times for Masonic Temple construction.

Yes, the RISD Solar House is coming right along. Electrical and insulation are now complete and the roof should be on by early next week.

The house is set to have a public openning around the 15th of September before it is shipped down to Washington DC for judging.

(The logistics of shipping the house cause the design to be rather unique. If you walk by and take a look there are small holes between sections of the walls. These holes allow for bolts to be removed breaking the house into manageable pieces and will be completely hidden by finish work on both interior and exterior. This also makes the electrical system unique... to say the least)

http://solar.risd.edu/

http://www.risdsolar.blogspot.com/

If anyone is interested they will be selling RISD Solar T-shirts as a fundraiser in the coming weeks and will most likely be sold at upcomming waterfires and RISD parents/openning weekend, or on their website.

Yes, the RISD Solar House is coming right along. Electrical and insulation are now complete and the roof should be on by early next week.

The house is set to have a public openning around the 15th of September before it is shipped down to Washington DC for judging.

(The logistics of shipping the house cause the design to be rather unique. If you walk by and take a look there are small holes between sections of the walls. These holes allow for bolts to be removed breaking the house into manageable pieces and will be completely hidden by finish work on both interior and exterior. This also makes the electrical system unique... to say the least)

http://solar.risd.edu/

http://www.risdsolar.blogspot.com/

If anyone is interested they will be selling RISD Solar T-shirts as a fundraiser in the coming weeks and will most likely be sold at upcomming waterfires and RISD parents/openning weekend, or on their website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably quite a cool t-shirt. I'll have to pick one up...

Keep in mind about a third of the costs are shipping. (about 100k, although I'm not sure the website reflects this fact.) It doesn't just have to be shipped down to DC, it needs to be shipped back and then remain open to the public for a minimum of 2 years. Location for this part has not been determined. After the 2 years anyone can purchase the house.

PBN article about Downcity

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once all of those businesses mentioned (cleaners, pharmacies, grocery....) start opening, I think the foot traffic to them will help spur more retail development. If people who live in the lofts are walking to get there dry-cleaning or groceries or whatever, and they see some interesting window displays in other stores, they'll be likely to stop in sometime.

I went to eat at New Japan last night (it wasn't very crowded, but it was probably around 9 pm), and then I walked around downtown for a while.... not too much was going on at that point, but there were some friendly people sitting at tables outside the Black Rep. and Tazza had some stuff going on. In a couple of years though, all of those streets will be full of people no matter what time of week/day. Can't wait for that to happen.......

Providence road improvements

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...3.131d257c.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great news that these areas have been funded. LaSalle Square improvements are important to created a good pedestrian enviroment from Downcity to Federal Hill, and making Weybosset and Empire two-way will improve downtown traffic flow. It also has the ability to make a good transit corridor along Weybosset/Broad to the south and west.

A member had this in his quote section..

"New Orleans Metro Population Within 50 Miles-1,363,750

New Orleans Metro Population Within 100 Miles-2,755,715

New Orleans Metro Population Within 150 Miles-4,179,878"

what would this be for prov. --> I beleive nyx isnt withing 150 miles :( that's be neato

what would this be for prov. --> I beleive nyx isnt withing 150 miles :( that's be neato

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Within 150 miles of Providence is pretty much the entire Providence and Boston Metros, Hartford, Springfield, and if not NYC most of its northern suburbs/Connecticutt cities. And that's a lot of people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Providence is closer to 8million within 150 miles. It would be our 1.5 plus Boston's 6(something), plus 200k on the Cape, I think Springfield and Hartford would be in there. Remember, New England is small, Manchester isn't much more than 100 miles away.

Once all of those businesses mentioned (cleaners, pharmacies, grocery....) start opening, I think the foot traffic to them will help spur more retail development. If people who live in the lofts are walking to get there dry-cleaning or groceries or  whatever, and they see some interesting window displays in other stores, they'll be likely to stop in sometime. 

I went to eat at New Japan last night (it wasn't very crowded, but it was probably around 9 pm), and then I walked around downtown for a while.... not too much was going on at that point, but there were some friendly people sitting at tables outside the Black Rep. and Tazza had some stuff going on. In a couple of years though, all of those streets will be full of people no matter what time of week/day. Can't wait for that to happen.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.tazzacaffe.com/

http://www.tazzacaffe.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sitting in said-cafe on a Saturday afternoon.

As a former big city-girl, what I don't see is enough to make me cry.

I don't see any people!

This is a comfortable cafe with coffee, AC, and plenty of plugs for laptops. I parked 20 yards away on the street without even having to go around the block. I have been here for 2 hours and no one is going to ask me to leave AND I have free wireless internet. A place like this in Chicago would be MOBBED!

I realize that I should be down at the beach, but man, you'd think somebody else would need to be working or writing on a Saturday.

Urg, I'm probably just feeling out of place.

What's the average age in Providence?

Maybe a real problem for invigorating the downtown scene is that the mean age in this town (not counting the college students during the academic year) is much older than other cities?

I dunno :blink:

Hey Emily--you're sitting in ground zero of the downtown providence reclamation effort. the fact that tazza is even there would've been unfathomable 5 years ago. keep in mind, there are only about 200 or so residences around you, and theyre all very very new. a colleague of mine made an interesting statement yesterday when she said "no one has lived in downtown providence since 1890." its very true. if you go to some place on wickenden or thayer, youre sure to see lots of younger people hammering away on their computers. its not providence specifically, its the fact that dowtown is still in its earliest stages of recovery.

Archived