>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

Hey Emily--you're sitting in ground zero of the downtown providence reclamation effort.  the fact that tazza is even there would've been unfathomable 5 years ago.  keep in mind, there are only about 200 or so residences around you, and theyre all very very new.  a colleague of mine made an interesting statement yesterday when she said "no one has lived in downtown providence since 1890."  its very true.  if you go to some place on wickenden or thayer, youre sure to see lots of younger people hammering away on their computers.  its not providence specifically, its the fact that dowtown is still in its earliest stages of recovery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, and the Regency Plaza complex was built WHEN!!!!!!!!??????????

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sitting in said-cafe on a Saturday afternoon.

As a former big city-girl, what I don't  see is enough to make me cry.

I don't see any people!

This is a comfortable cafe with coffee, AC, and plenty of plugs for laptops.  I parked 20 yards away on the street without even having to go around the block. I have been here for 2 hours and no one is going to ask me to leave AND I have free wireless internet.  A place like this in Chicago would be MOBBED!

I dunno  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do I have this right! You want to compare a city of 2-3 millions to one of 173,000?

Do I have this right! You want to compare a city of 2-3 millions to one of 173,000?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So unfair, I know!

To be honest, I wasn't really comparing it to the entire city of Chicago - just to a neighborhood commercial zone.

I guess I just feel like people aren't "out and about" as much here - maybe this is why I was wondering if the average age is older than other mid-sized cities.

Not knowing many people, I wonder what places there are to meet people and people-watch that aren't bars. Suggestions?

So unfair, I know!

To be honest, I wasn't really comparing it to the entire city of Chicago - just to a neighborhood commercial zone.

I guess I just feel like people aren't "out and about" as much here - maybe this is why I was wondering if the average age is older than other mid-sized cities.

Not knowing many people, I wonder what places there are to meet people and people-watch that aren't bars. Suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't think of many places downtown ( maybe New Cuban Revalution on Washington St ) but personally I love to people watch on Thayer St.

HA! if you want to call the Regency Plaza urban, good luck my friend! That thing reeks of 1960s "urban renewal." Believe me, I know...my mom lives there. 99% of people leave the Regency by car (there is copious parking). It's definitely a huge stretch to say that the Regency makes up a residential neighborhood...it could be anywhere...its totally self-sufficient.

HA! if you want to call the Regency Plaza urban, good luck my friend!  That thing reeks of 1960s "urban renewal."  Believe me, I know...my mom lives there.  99% of people leave the Regency by car (there is copious parking).  It's definitely a huge stretch to say that the Regency makes up a residential neighborhood...it could be anywhere...its totally self-sufficient.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does seem detached from the rest of downtown. I think a lot of people forget it's even there. And I don't see a heck of a lot of foot traffic from there to Fountain or Washington St.

So unfair, I know!

I believe the average age is a little higher than some other, larger cities. Even the Prov 2020 folks have mentioned that Providence (and many other mid-sized cities in New England) are having problems attracting and keeping folks in the 25-45 age group due to costs and job availability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a single person, I've been looking myself for the last year... I know this much, they aren't downtown! Some good places are...

- The Starbucks in Wayland Sq is probably #1 on all those fronts...

- Many of the places on Wickenden have a youngish crowd...

- Same is true of many establishments in Hope Village...

- Daily Bread in Wayland Sq...

- India, Garden Grille, and Maximillian in Oak Hill/End of Blackstone...

- Believe it or not, East Side Market in Wayland Sq...

That's what I can think of all the top of my head...

What Ari said is correct. Tazza is ground zero for the future downtown, but for now, it's the true pioneer. That and the Black Rep's cool Bar/Restaurant (is it Xxodus?). In 5 years, the place where you were sitting will probably (hopefully?) be dramatically different...

- Garris

Add Coffee Exchange on Wickenden, White Electric on upper Westminster, Nick's and Julians on Broadway to that mix.  Oh, and Federal Hill of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also Reflections (coffee, sandwiches, etc.) on the other end of Wickenden on the corner of Governor. :)

What ever happened to that cafe/pizza place at the corners of Wickenden & Ives St that caught on fire a few years ago. Has it re-opened?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a history there! It took years to rebuild! It used to be a 3 story tenement house with a coffee shop on the first floor. They only rebuilt the first floor. and it has been vacant since. But the big controversy was that someone was doing a little sneaking around and was going to open up a massage palor (read: prostitution) in there!! The city got wind of this when they started advertising in the adult section of the Pheonix and totally pulled the plug on them.

Projo article HERE

I  just looked it up out of curiosity-  actually, the median age in Providence is 28, and in Chicago its 31. 

The hang-out and people watch spots for young, thransplaneted urbanites like yourself are definitely Wickenden and Thayer St. on the East Side (although between the bikers and teenagers, Thayer's not really my scene),

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's very funny! I would never have expected that Providence is "younger."

And I have to agree with you about Thayer St. . .. the people watching is spectacular, but I feel either way too old or way too square :blush:

Emily--go hang out on Broadway...Nick's, Julians, Decatur.  I think it could be the scene you're looking for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emily,

If you want something different... Keep your eyes open for shows at AS220. I always meet very interesting people there of all ages. Also, I know these aren't quite what you requested, but I've had great fun at Black Rep on Saturday nights as far as enjoying music and meeting cool people.

But I've enjoyed watching this topic for ideas. I love people watching. I'd also recommend sitting outside at the Cable Car. Not a super high traffic area, but definitely some interesting folks to chat with.

Archived