Moving to San Antonio

arkitekte

I'm moving to San Antonio within the next month (new job) and need some help/advice.

I basically know next to nothing about the area other than my brother living there briefly 10 or so years ago and a few short visits of my own. I'll be working downtown and am considering living in that area, however do you guys have any advice on other neighborhoods that I should consider? It's just me so I won't need to accommodate a wife, kids, dog, etc., however I don't particularly want longer than a 10 or 15 minute commute to downtown. 

Anyone here live in SA before or have any advice that would help?

Thanks in advance. 

No, BNA, I'm not switching my allegiance to the Spurs. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can't help with SA in particular, I can only give general advice about moving to a new unfamiliar region. If it's within your budget and abilities, consider finding a decent extended stay hotel near work. Plan to stay there a few weeks to a month if possible. Being near work will make that part of the equation easier. You can focus on a new job without the distraction of a bad commute and unfamiliar roads. Then, in your downtime, explore neighborhoods. Get recommendations from coworkers. Go to a local bar and ask the bartender.

Who knows, if you mention this to your new employer, they might even consider it part of "moving expenses" and pay for you to do so.

Good luck out there in the Wild West.

^Appreciate it. I'm getting some help from my boss on where I should stay/neighborhoods, etc. Luckily I can stay in an IHG on base at Fort Sam Houston if I need to for an extended amount of time (I'm going down for a week before I move my stuff down and hoping to find a place within that week). The main thing now is just organizing a list of potential places that I can view when I'm down there. I'll be doing some work related stuff a couple of the days so hopefully everything will go pretty smoothly. 

While I've never lived in San Antonio, I've been there for both work and leisure and really like the city.  The people are really nice and there's lots of good food and interesting things to see and do.  Be sure to check out the "Sunken Gardens" sometime.  It is a beautiful reuse of a former rock quarry.  A dining suggestion--if you're down along the Riverwalk, a great spot that is somewhat off the beaten path is "Mexican Manhattan."  Been there for many years, but they've only had a patio on a riverwalk extension for about a decade.  Not fancy at all--great food at reasonable prices!  I'm a part-time Texan, with a home in Fresno, which is outside Houston.  Hope you enjoy your time in San Antonio as much as I always do!!!

I'm moving to San Antonio within the next month (new job) and need some help/advice.

I basically know next to nothing about the area other than my brother living there briefly 10 or so years ago and a few short visits of my own. I'll be working downtown and am considering living in that area, however do you guys have any advice on other neighborhoods that I should consider? It's just me so I won't need to accommodate a wife, kids, dog, etc., however I don't particularly want longer than a 10 or 15 minute commute to downtown. 

Thanks in advance. 

Haha, I wouldn't ever assume you would.  Looking forward to looking for your Beale Street Blue amongst the black and silver shirts! 

Good luck on the move man.  SA is a beautiful city...wish I knew more about it so I could give you some recommendations!

Haha, I wouldn't ever assume you would.  Looking forward to looking for your Beale Street Blue amongst the black and silver shirts! 

Good luck on the move man.  SA is a beautiful city...wish I knew more about it so I could give you some recommendations!

Appreciate it. I fully plan on going to every Grizz game there with my All Heart, Grit, Grind growl towels. If you're down that way give me a shout. Too bad you never could make it down to Memphis for a game. I remember waaaaay back in the day when we both used to post on the Grizz message board. I quit posting on there in 07 or so and came back in 09 and no one knew who I was. lol

I remember they had that informal "come up with a slogan" campaign and I recommended my user name "dominate the paint" and saw a banner in the plaza level concourse last season with ZBo and Big Spain with "dominate the paint" on it. I asked someone if I could have it or buy it after the season, but they never got back with me. 

Appreciate it. I fully plan on going to every Grizz game there with my All Heart, Grit, Grind growl towels. If you're down that way give me a shout. Too bad you never could make it down to Memphis for a game. I remember waaaaay back in the day when we both used to post on the Grizz message board. I quit posting on there in 07 or so and came back in 09 and no one knew who I was. lol

Thanks bro!  I'll definitely do that!  I appreciate it.  I have no idea why I haven't gotten down to Memphis to see a game yet.  It's only 7 hours away.  Most of my friends up here, naturally, are Bulls fans, so if we went it'd probably be for a Grizz/Bulls matchup, and it seems like every year something happens that doesn't allow it to work timing wise.  Oh well.  One day!!  And yeah, I haven't really posted consistently on the Grizz boards for quite awhile.  I still check it from time to time, but something about it just seems different than it used to be. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like an exciting venture!

Still, it's a bit sad to see a fellow Memphis resident and UP participant skip town, even if we've never actually met.

(Hélas, I am all alone.)

Lol...stay strong. Do you ever go over to SkyscraperPage? There's 8 or so people from Memphis who post in the Memphis development thread over there. 

Thanks in advance. 

The best forum for San Antonio is SSP IMO.  I live at the southern end of the Austin Metro which means I'm almost at the northern edge of the S.A. metro.  I can get to downtown S.A. in 45 minutes, and I spend a fair amount of time there.  San Antonio is one of the most sprawling places in the U.S.  But it has an extensive highway system and doesn't have the same traffic madness that Austin has.  It has a very busy downtown, but the city has a well documented history of encouraging sprawl over downtown high rises.  But there are signs that that may be changing. There are a lot of mid-rise residential developments U/C in central S.A., and the SSP forumers will have a lot of suggestions.  San Antonio is one of my favorite cities in the U.S., and like Austin, it sits on the edge of the Texas Hill Country.  So the western side of the metro is very hilly.  I'm admittedly very partial here, but the best thing about S.A. (outside of the Alamo, of course) is that Austin is next door. :)  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got back from San Antonio and was very impressed! I stayed a few blocks from the Riverwalk and was floored. It was more impressive than I ever thought. Absolutely beautiful. The downtown area is incredible also. The amount of 'mature' building stock that has been saved and preserved is very impressive.

Riverwalk%20San%20Antonio_zpslmfwohb4.jp

It had been a long time since I was last in San Antonio...

How long you ask?

....Last time I was there, they didn't say 'Remember the Alamo', they just said....'The Alamo".

:tw_flushed:

Archived