Dave & Busters coming to Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

It will be only their third location in the State, with two in the Detroit area. If you don't know what it is, it's basically a Chuck E Cheese for adults. Going in where the old Barnes and Noble used to be on 28th Street behind Chipotle.

It's kind of a bummer they didn't go downtown, but then again I wonder if downtown needs another large drinking establishment?

http://www.grbj.com/articles/80675-family-entertainment-center-targets-28th-street

https://www.google.com/search?q=dave+and+busters&biw=1366&bih=633&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=tsQmVLqwB4O0yQSkhYHIBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

They're basically only found in the suburbs of large metro areas so it's another sign that Grand Rapids is moving up the ranks in its Tier II city status.

http://www.daveandbusters.com/locations/alllocations.aspx

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly too, I was just talking with someone the other day about whether Jade Pig was still around (or was that on here?). They apparently are.

post-2672-0-63173000-1411911903_thumb.jp

Wow, this is one of those places (like an urban outfitters or trader joes) that you want to see a growing city get. I'm very excited about it.

Joe

Exactly Joe. I probably won't be there every weekend but we might go once in a while (like we would a Whole Foods).

I thought I remember one in downtown Indy years ago? another chain that says GR is in with the big boys now? and doesn this belong in the the restaurant rumor thread?

At 26,000 square feet and enough seating for 422 people, it's quite a bit larger than your average new restaurant opening. I don't think Joe said that GR is "in with the big boys now." He said it's a chain that growing cities get.

If they keep expanding at this rate, there will be 1600 Dave and busters soon enough. Then what?! What chain will we turn to next to define our city?!

I hope Ikea! :)

Nothing particullary wrong with chains. You cant really have a thriving local retail economy on just the stuff you would find in East Hills or Gaslight Village. Just having expensive locally-made products will be a net loser in the end.

I just wish some of them would locate more than just a few inches inside of GR.

I hope Ikea! :)

Nothing particullary wrong with chains. You cant really have a thriving local retail economy on just the stuff you would find in East Hills or Gaslight Village. Just having expensive locally-made products will be a net loser in the end.

I just wish some of them would locate more than just a few inches inside of GR.

Agreed, except for that GR + KZOO metro areas combined need about a 1,000,000+ in population growth before Ikea will entertain coming here.  Ikea's not in that many cities.  And they'll probably either build it in Byron Center or Wayland.

I would've expected Dave and Buster's to be in the vicinity of the malls.  I think part of the ring around Centerpointe would've been best (and would've put them in GR).  28th Street could use some love, but I wonder how long they will stay there before they move closer to better retail like B&N did? ...But for now, at least I know where all the D-Bags in Kentwood will be hanging out!

Not that this is a barometer for anything, but the Facebook post by MLive about Dave & Busters has 1400 likes and over 200 comments celebrating its arrival. Told you guys it was big news (at least in some circles). :) Also the Mlive article has 7400 FB likes. That's pretty high.

https://www.facebook.com/grpress/posts/10152289937051367

That "Chuck E Cheese" for adults was my line! :)

I'm actually looking forward to it. Craig's Cruisers is getting a bit old for the kids and me. As long as it doesn't become douchebag central I think it will be cool.

I think we've matured enough as a metro area where we have a plethora of locally owned options and are getting some of the bigger chains. In fact, the fact that we have decent locally owned restaurants along the East Beltline (a major commercial corridor) is pretty unheard of in most of the places I've been.

I thought Facebook likes were for curing cancer not measuring the success of a already successful company.

Facebook likes have a purpose? :) Generally the "social interaction" of a media article relates to how much that article has been read, since most media sites get a large majority of their traffic from social media now. More than Google even in some cases.

But Google is social media...

YouTube, Google+, Google News, Twitch.

The mlive article isn't even doing well on Reddit - THE social media news site.

http://www.reddit.com/r/grandrapids/

It has less upvotes than a meme featuring Obama and less comments than a question about Sprint. Admirable is about the best I can do.

Google is not social media, not when you're looking at analytics. Google+ I'll give you, but that's a stretch. And no one uses it. YouTube is owned by Google but hardly what I'm talking about.

Most Dave & Busters fans probably don't know what Reddit is.

Just admit that you don't like D&B's and you're mad that it's so popular. :) I know, it's a social class/urbanist snobbery/local first kind of thing.

In the general scheme of things, an article about Long Road Distillery opening on the West Side got 188 FB likes.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/05/grand_rapids_school_board_memb_7.html

(I don't think it got much on Reddit either)

I have nothing against the place. I'm just not terribly excited for it. And I'm definitely not local first either. Nothing against it. Its just my stomach and wallet decide better than my surroundings.

My bad. I'm out dated on who's sleeping with who.

Trust me, I'm not a fan of "pop culture," and certainly no fan of MLive. But the masses speak sometimes, like with the outlet mall. But I actually feel the same way about a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I'm happy for the throngs of people who are happy they're coming, even though I'll probably seldom step foot in those places.

My bad. I'm out dated on who's sleeping with who.

It's understandable since every tech news site acted like they had "exclusive breaking news" hyping that Google had bought Twitch. It was a done deal according to them.  When the official news came out that Amazon had purchased Twitch it was reported in hushed tones.

I think we've matured enough as a metro area where we have a plethora of locally owned options and are getting some of the bigger chains. In fact, the fact that we have decent locally owned restaurants along the East Beltline (a major commercial corridor) is pretty unheard of in most of the places I've been.

It definitely seems like restaurant chains have been moving faster than other retail, especially apparel.  We've gotten a few big label the past couple of years (North Face, H&M, Anthropologie, Lululemon) but still have a ways to go, especially on higher end stuff.

• 6 months later...

Speaking of land sucking suburbs, Dave & Buster's is moving along and they are hosting a jobs fair to hire 250 workers. 30,000 square feet of fun!

Actually, does this count as adaptive re-use, since development long surpassed 28th Street back in the 70s? The Trader Joe's out in front is just starting to be walled up so there wasn't much to shoot.

16870451430_66ba23f3f0_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived