Founders Brewing Company Expansions

GRDadof3

Maybe it was cornice work for what used to be the top of the building? Not sure either.

It was cornice work.  I recall that when Terra Firma owned the building they had plans to restore it.  They don't own the building anymore, and not sure who does.  The Harris Building has a similar issue, but it's not as glaring as this one.   Thanks for the pic updates Jeff!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha. Good one. I know at one point it was covered in aluminum. Wonder if someone chiseled off the cornice work to make it "modern". Wish the building owner would work on restoring that section. 

Joe

That, my good man, is called "architectural detail".  It's the kind of thing modern designers don't understand with their fancy glass and steel.

• 4 weeks later...

Founders is shaping up. It might be hard to see in this picture, but the interior steel frame has circular holes in each floor I assume to allow for the fermenting towers.

16847207685_bf370d5b35_k.jpg

16639896077_3115dc4d0d_b.jpg

And some recent news. It's so funny that I know Dave. I didn't realize these guys had become such international rock stars. :)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/what-the-ale-founders-brewing-co-founder-coming-to-tulsa/article_c29ababb-3a9b-584e-ba14-d0e950edc9db.html

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/03/ireland_pub_owner_founders_ipa.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

where will the signs be located? I really hope for a large, illuminated one sitting on top of the tall part of the addition facing north so seen easily from Southbound 131 and some of downtown, that would really add some ambiance and kind of a feather in the cap for visitors!

where will the signs be located? I really hope for a large, illuminated one sitting on top of the tall part of the addition facing north so seen easily from Southbound 131 and some of downtown, that would really add some ambiance and kind of a feather in the cap for visitors!

Yeah, something unique like this old Falstaff sign would be awesome!

http://thefalstaffapartments.com/gallery/exterior.jpg

exterior.jpg

Nothing like the Falstaff sign, but I agree something like that would have been cool.  There are three large signs proposed for the tallest portion of the building that boarders Finney Avenue.  All signs will be the same as the current yellow illuminated signs that are on the building now, but will be varying sizes.  One will face Grandville Avenue, one will face Williams Street, and one Finney.  Certainly, they will be very visible from all directions considering how tall that section of the building will be. 

I didn't really think people were interested in signs, but here ya go:

17315346152_1146f572a5_b.jpg

17316757831_ed1ced4d24_b.jpg

16696939713_89b7e6da76_b.jpg

By the way, it appears that they are removing the silos off the Southeast corner and they've relocated the loading docks. The streetwork that's supposed to take place around Founders was on the city commission agenda this week, so it's probably timed to start when Pioneer is done with most of the exterior work, which I imagine will be very soon. Get used to not using the streets on the South, West and North sides of the complex. 

17315346362_91933c5dd4_b.jpg

By the way, it appears that they are removing the silos off the Southeast corner and they've relocated the loading docks. The streetwork that's supposed to take place around Founders was on the city commission agenda this week, so it's probably timed to start when Pioneer is done with most of the exterior work, which I imagine will be very soon. Get used to not using the streets on the South, West and North sides of the complex. 

Good to know. Thanks for the tip and post.

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree, I don't think the area around Founders is at all shabby, I think in general it looks very nice.  Custer, Hopson Flats, Central station, the Ballet, and even the Fire house look good. The streetscape looks nice too, and the city is planning more with the Founders expansion.   I would agree that it's surprising that we have not seen more apartments, bars and restaurants given the huge draw of Founders.  I guess the Tin Can, a bar our of Lansing is moving in next to Hopson.  I'm sure more will come, but Dad is right, Wolverine takes up an entire block with it's blank wall.  

What's up with the old Horseshoe building, did that ever take off? 

The old Horseshoe building looks great!  They sandblasted the white paint off the brick, and painted up some of the details.  Oh, and there is a new BBQ place on the ground floor.  

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/05/horseshoe_smokehouse.html#incart_river

The old Horseshoe building looks great!  They sandblasted the white paint off the brick, and painted up some of the details.  Oh, and there is a new BBQ place on the ground floor.  

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/05/horseshoe_smokehouse.html#incart_river

Only a week later than UP (probably mentioned on here longer ago than that). :)

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/15734-grand-rapids-restaurant-rumor-mill/?p=1360374

Only a week later than UP (probably mentioned on here longer ago than that). :)

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/15734-grand-rapids-restaurant-rumor-mill/?p=1360374

Yes, the Press sucks, but more importantly, the building looks the best it has in probably 75 years.  Granted, I'm not a huge fan of how they handled the windows.  It would have been nice see the sills a little bit lower, and operable for nice weather, but I think these windows were added a few years ago.  

Okay, back to Founders....

Yes, the Press sucks, but more importantly, the building looks the best it has in probably 75 years.  Granted, I'm not a huge fan of how they handled the windows.  It would have been nice see the sills a little bit lower, and operable for nice weather, but I think these windows were added a few years ago.  

Okay, back to Founders....

For some reason I can't get Mlive's photo slideshows to go all the way through. It goes about 6 images, then there's an ad, and the arrows to continue on are gone. Anyone else get this? 

The construction around the complex is insane. However, you can get to their new parking lot off of Goodrich by the new BBQ place, BTW.

I also have to backtrack on my earlier statements. They're definitely keeping the silos on the NE corner of the building and have added more. 

For some reason I can't get Mlive's photo slideshows to go all the way through. It goes about 6 images, then there's an ad, and the arrows to continue on are gone. Anyone else get this? 

The construction around the complex is insane. However, you can get to their new parking lot off of Goodrich by the new BBQ place, BTW.

I also have to backtrack on my earlier statements. They're definitely keeping the silos on the NE corner of the building and have added more. 

Below the slide show you'll see the string of pictures.  When you get an ad click on the picture you were looking at below and it will go off the add and back to the slideshow.

Below the slide show you'll see the string of pictures.  When you get an ad click on the picture you were looking at below and it will go off the add and back to the slideshow.

Doesn't do that for me. When it reaches the slide with the ad on it, the string of pictures disappears too. Using Chrome. 

• 3 months later...

Archived