Founders Brewing Company Expansions

GRDadof3

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

That space was previously employee parking, I wonder where they will be moved to. Hmmm, sounds like I'll have to force myself to go down and have a beer and ask ... purely in the interest of knowledge sharing. 

It's for science! 

On 4/20/2016 at 8:12 PM, john_denver said:

Do they own any of the adjacent land?

I wish the white wall of Wolverine Printing was not there...nothing personally against them...

I don't think they own any more land in that area. I don't even think they own the new parking lot behind Wolverine, some kind of shared arrangement with Wolverine, Founders and the city maybe? 

I think you're right, they rent/lease the space from Wolverine. Founders employees are expected to park there as well, now that the construction has started in the old employee lot. Founders validates parking there for four hours with any 'purchase' at the Taproom. According to Taproom staff, thrifty Grand Rapidians are parking there, getting a beer, getting their parking validated, then heading to other places/events downtown. 

Every penny counts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Founders is seeking permission from the planning commission to demolish a building at the corner of Wealthy and Grandville/Finney (I believe it's Grand Die now?) and a house behind it to create another 116 space parking lot.  On the December agenda.

5a20348d055e7_foundersparking.thumb.jpg.47904da28f13bcab9c6a16c8bbcc2af0.jpg

I think it would make more sense to build a ramp in the longrun. They have expanded at such a rapid rate, with few signs of slowing down. Build a 3-4 story ramp with ability to build higher if the need arose, and move on rather then continually searching for more surface lot space. Focus on growth rather then adjacent land deals. Unless the plan is to amass land for future building projects, but you still need parking somewhere.

1 hour ago, droonus2000 said:

I think it would make more sense to build a ramp in the longrun. They have expanded at such a rapid rate, with few signs of slowing down. Build a 3-4 story ramp with ability to build higher if the need arose, and move on rather then continually searching for more surface lot space. Focus on growth rather then adjacent land deals. Unless the plan is to amass land for future building projects, but you still need parking somewhere.

I think cost is an issue. Ramps are $30,000 - $40,000/space + the cost of the land and surface lots, even nice ones, are only $10,000/space + the cost of land. 

NOT to say that another surface lot is the right thing to do. 

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Founders Brewing Company Expansions
20 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Absolutely not!

You want to be in the DT area, Founders? Then build a ramp. None of this clear-cutting the surrounding area for more used car lots.

We have massive lots just north of you to use. Direct your patrons to those.

The massive lot soon to be a big hole with the Celebration Cinema complex construction or the one on Fulton/Market that no one will use?

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

The massive lot soon to be a big hole with the Celebration Cinema complex construction or the one on Fulton/Market that no one will use?

The ones north of the S-Curve by Oakes and Weston are still available for use, and wont involve laying down asphalt that will be left untouched for 20 years minimum.

There has not been a single time that I have had difficulty parking within a block or two of founders for free and I go there almost weekly. If their lot is full, I take one lap around the block and the lot either opens up or there is a street space. I hope that this is more of a land banking strategy and not a long-term parking solution. 

8 hours ago, demhem said:

Now that I've said that, I wonder if the plan is to build on their existing lot once the proposed lot is built. It would make more sense as it is located adjacent to their existing brewing operation. 

No, in the same packet is a request to turn their existing "temporary lot" into a "permanent lot." I don't really understand what the distinction is. 

3 hours ago, The Llanito said:

Long time stalker, first time commentor. I dont understand the thinking behind adding more surface parking lots to this area. Central Station is just accross the road from Founders and should be marketed more than encouraging more people to drive to a brewery.

Welcome Llanito! 

I think it may be a "buy and hold" positioning. Their current building is now landlocked, and if they want to expand again in close proximity to their main production facility, it will pretty much have to be on the Bartlett parking lot. 

And honestly how many Founders patrons can you get to mode-shift to taking the bus? 10% of the hundreds/thousands that go there every day? ... 

On 12/1/2017 at 2:16 PM, demhem said:

There has not been a single time that I have had difficulty parking within a block or two of founders for free and I go there almost weekly. If their lot is full, I take one lap around the block and the lot either opens up or there is a street space. I hope that this is more of a land banking strategy and not a long-term parking solution. 

I completely agree.  I meet up with friends there almost every Wednesday for Mug Club night and parking is never an issue. That being said, I'm sure its a different story at 5 PM on a Friday. 

22 hours ago, GR8scott said:

I think another point would be to have sufficient parking FOR the central station. If there was a ramp for that and marketed it for use on Amtrak, buses and carpooling. If there ever was a streetcar it could be more of a commuter parking ramp too

The train station (Amtrak) has its own surface parking that’s free.  Surprisingly they don’t seem to have a parking problem.  But then the only train leaves at six in the morning and if there are any Founders patrons filling up the train parking lot they’ve likely gone home before then unless they were too inebriated to drive. 

Archived