301 Hillsborough Street

unique1rdu

The proposed building is north of the Dawson. There is no sunlight to block out north of him. Sunlight would be the only reason I'd not want to be next to a taller building than me. And the Morgan St side is much safer for outdoor seating...faces away from the traffic barreling down Dawson St. Commercial space facing Morgan and maybe a little way down Hillsborough St would be ideal here though. Somethings I think people just read off of beotching queue cards and don't think about what they are saying. 

Mr. Kolkin doesn't even live on the Morgan St side of the building. His unit faces the Hue. On the other hand my unit is directly facing this lot, and any bldg. in that space will directly impede my view, but I am not complaining about the height limits in the zoning request. I'm more interested in improving the overall environment downtown rather than squabbling over nonsense.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gut tells me that a certain developer (who shall remain nameless) is behind all of the opposition being expressed by some residents at the Dawson. If the zoning request can be revised to limit building heights to 6 or 7 stories, then a number of developers currently interested in the parcels will loose interest and it will lessen the competition for greedy developers who want nothing more than to litter downtown with more cheesy apartment buildings.

It's time for our city leaders to lead. I rarely have this opinion but 20 stories or leave the parking lot as is for now. Do what is best for Raleigh. If a few citizens are unhappy too bad! Maybe they should move to Brier Creek.

28 stories would've been great! 20 pretty good. 7 no words!

• 1 month later...

I've never really thought of that building as architecturally significant or even historic - mainly because of how ugly and run down it looks.  Is the original stone facade still left behind the ugly faded pink facade?   If not, then tear it down.

Regarding 301 Hillsborough and the condo owners.  Here's a suggestion, if you really want to make a logical point don't let this guy speak for you.  And stick to facts. 

“It would also set a dangerous precedent for all of Raleigh. It is 10 times the average height of buildings in our neighborhood,” said Jon Kolkin, representing the Dawson’s Home Owners Association board.

Rezoning a lot well suited for a 15-20 floor building would have no effect on "all of Raleigh".  And buildings on 4 sides are 4, 5, 18, and 2 floors tall... average 7 floors.  10 times... equals... 70 floors?  geez.

Opposition is nearly unanimous in the residential building, he said.

This is hard for me to believe too.  None of these urban residents are for an appropriate urban environment???

I've never really thought of that building as architecturally significant or even historic - mainly because of how ugly and run down it looks.  Is the original stone facade still left behind the ugly faded pink facade?   If not, then tear it down.

Regarding 301 Hillsborough and the condo owners.  Here's a suggestion, if you really want to make a logical point don't let this guy speak for you.  And stick to facts. 

Rezoning a lot well suited for a 15-20 floor building would have no effect on "all of Raleigh".  And buildings on 4 sides are 4, 5, 18, and 2 floors tall... average 7 floors.  10 times... equals... 70 floors?  geez.

This is hard for be to believe too.  None of these urban residents are for an appropriate urban environment???

I live at the Dawson and I'm not opposed to the rezoning. I can guarantee you that opposition is not even close to being unanimous.

I suspect that most of this "opposition" has been orchestrated by an unscrupulous developer hoping to weed out the competition with deeper pockets.

Not to sound suspicious, but I wonder if this "unscrupulous developer" may be Hatem.  I mean, in recent weeks he has been quoted about downtown being unlivable.  Or Sandreuter.  I just feel like they would be the ones to push for shorter buildings, as it gives them more property to control downtown.  

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory, but in my mind it makes some sense. 

Not to sound suspicious, but I wonder if this "unscrupulous developer" may be Hatem.  I mean, in recent weeks he has been quoted about downtown being unlivable.  Or Sandreuter.  I just feel like they would be the ones to push for shorter buildings, as it gives them more property to control downtown.  

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory, but in my mind it makes some sense. 

:thumbsup:

I hate it when urban dwellers use "quality of life" issues as their opposition.  It happens here in New York too...and it's a hilarious hypocrisy.  Let's just be honest, these people are just pissed bc their views are about to be taken, and they can no longer lay claim to downtown being at their interest.  

Sorry for the rant...but if they consider this to be the edge of downtown, that just screams of insanity. 

• 4 months later...

I would think that the required foot print for a grocery store wouldn't be a good fit for this site? Maybe the Dillon site would be better???

Site is about 45,000 sq ft.  [Cameron Village HT is ~58,500 sf.  Glenwood/Oberlin HT is ~ 34,000 sf.]

Easily enough room.  I'd hope parking would be stacked above or below.  Also no mention of number of floors or mixed-use components in his proposal, I hope this doesn't mean that it will only be a grocery store.

1. This is a fantastic spot for a grocery store from the perspective that it can catch neighborhood demand as well as drive-by traffic due to its position on Dawson (US 401)

2. Since this offer was from a year ago and the property hasn't been sold yet, and the city is now considering an open bidding process, might Kane have redirected his immediate efforts toward Dillon instead? Do you think Jones is taking his Grocery plans there?

3. Whoever buys the property may buy the whole block, including Flying Saucer and the house at 327 Hillsborough. This is 2 acres, as mentioned by Jones. That is technically plenty of space for a single-use, full service grocer with surface parking but I hope that's not what happens. Maybe the house could get moved to Blount Street, and the Flying Saucer building kept, as a bargaining chip for higher density on the rest of the site.

I think that the Flying Saucer building & restaurant adds a very nice, relaxed, almost simple use for that property. Maybe you could build a tiered project that could include,(and not just), a two story HT grocery, hotel, parking deck, office space, retail? I think downtown needs a new take on the old square block look. A new style for a new Raleigh. Just a thought...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like its probably going to be J. Davis schlock time again as Blue Heron out of Chapel Hill won a bid for this site:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2015/10/bidding-301-hillsborough-street-raleigh-nc.html

The Austin group actually looked like they built some cool stuff whereas Blue Heron, well, you can only imagine.

The bidding is not over. This was just the latest round. Hopefully, somebody with real money will eventually win this thing and build a building appropriate for this site. Though, I honestly don't believe that will happen. Locally, we have the cheapest developers.

It looks like its probably going to be J. Davis schlock time again as Blue Heron out of Chapel Hill won a bid for this site:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2015/10/bidding-301-hillsborough-street-raleigh-nc.html

The Austin group actually looked like they built some cool stuff whereas Blue Heron, well, you can only imagine.

Just an FYI...

Austin based Aspen Heights is behind a couple of my favorite current Austin projects:  the 58-story Independent and their namesake 22-story Aspen Heights.

Aspen Heights apartments:  

Aspen%20Heights%202.png

Link

The Independent condos:

The-Independet-Austin.jpg 

Link

Archived