Charlotte vs Dallas/Ft Worth

Deleted.

Hi everyone, this is my first post in a while.

For those of your who don't know, I am an American Airlines flight attendant based in Charlotte and I have worked for AA/US for the past nine years. I have been offered the chance to move bases to DFW. This is a very big decision for me. I moved to Charlotte from the United Kingdom in 1989 (yes, I did fly Piedmont from London Gatwick and yes, that is how I became hooked on flying) with my family, and I have lived in the Queen City for nearly all of my 30 year life. I was offered the chance to change bases to Dallas Ft Worth for one main reason, I am a Portuguese LOD flight attendant (I am also a French LOD F/A) and as you know AA cut both of our flights to Brazil, so my Portuguese skills are no longer needed. I can stay in Charlotte as a French LOD F/A or move to DFW as a duel Portuguese and French LOD F/A.

I wanted to know what your opinions about Dallas/Ft Worth vs Charlotte are. Which city is better? What is the city scene like in Dallas/Ft Worth? Is it better than Charlotte? What about cost of living? Are taxes in Dallas/Ft Worth higher or lower than in Mecklenburg?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, this is my first post in a while.

For those of your who don't know, I am an American Airlines flight attendant based in Charlotte and I have worked for AA/US for the past nine years. I have been offered the chance to move bases to DFW. This is a very big decision for me. I moved to Charlotte from the United Kingdom in 1989 (yes, I did fly Piedmont from London Gatwick and yes, that is how I became hooked on flying) with my family, and I have lived in the Queen City for nearly all of my 30 year life. I was offered the chance to change bases to Dallas Ft Worth for one main reason, I am a Portuguese LOD flight attendant (I am also a French LOD F/A) and as you know AA cut both of our flights to Brazil, so my Portuguese skills are no longer needed. I can stay in Charlotte as a French LOD F/A or move to DFW as a duel Portuguese and French LOD F/A.

I wanted to know what your opinions about Dallas/Ft Worth vs Charlotte are. Which city is better? What is the city scene like in Dallas/Ft Worth? Is it better than Charlotte? What about cost of living? Are taxes in Dallas/Ft Worth higher or lower than in Mecklenburg?

Thanks for your help!

I have been to Dallas and Forth Worth several times. Not so much a fan of either. I prefer San Antonio and Austin for Texas cities. I like Houston better, too. But Dallas is not a horrible place by all means. It's very spread out, but well-covered by the DART public transit system - much moreso than Charlotte or any other Texas city. Downtown is pretty much a ghost town at night, but Uptown is a great area for restaurants and nightlife. There are also several other parts of the city that I have heard are booming and great places to live in (like CityPlace, not far from downtown). I visited Deep Ellum probably 7 years ago, and was a bit disappointed. Maybe it has changed in the past few years, but then it was a previously a cool area like NoDa that had gone downhill big time. Just a lot of closed businesses and bars...just a few had survived at that time. I could see where it was the once "cool" place to be, but it wasn't so much when I visited.

As I am sure you know, DFW is a trek from center city. Not close to the city at all. I hate the way that the football and baseball stadiums are so far out, in Arlington, but they have developed them somewhat as an "urban" sports area and a lot of sports bars and restaurants have popped up in Arlington.

If you have been flying for 30 years, my guess is that nightlife probably isn't a deciding factor (I am 34 with a 10-month old, so it's not a priority for me anymore). But the nightlife isn't bad. And the restaurant scene is good for sure. Shopping is more like Charlotte - mostly in malls, but you can find pretty much anything from low-end to super luxury. After all, that's where Neiman Maarcus started.

If I had to pick Dallas or Charlotte, it would be Charlotte for me. But that's just a personal opinion. I love living close to the city, in walking distance from a Panthers game (I will be there tomorrow!), an airport that is 15 minutes away from downtown (I travel a lot!), and I just plain love this place, as it seems that it is just consistently changing.

Just my two cents!

I'd hold off on doing anything rash.  Operational merger between US and AA is still at least a year away, and from what I read, the integration of some labor groups won't take place until 2016 (at the earliest).  Even now, flight attendants are arguing over whether or not to accept the tentative agreement or turn it down and allow an arbitrator to decide their fate.  I'd sit tight and see where the cards fall.  

Archived